Has anyone done Document level locking / notification?

  • adam flinton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2000
      Dear All,

      I would like to have all the DB views / documents which are semi-static
      (i.e. change fairly infrequently) written to file by the DBMS upon change
      (triggered action) from where a client can fetch them via http.

      2 Questions:

      1) Has anyone used XML-DBMS within a Java enabled Db (e.g. Oracle, DB2 etc)?

      2) Has anyone instituted "Document level locking / notification" ? i.e.
      where if a client grabs (via http or possibly through a servlet) an XML file
      produced from the DB for modification / update then subsequent fetches by
      different clients are informed that the doc is "locked"? Obviously there
      would be some kind of release mechanism (e.g. someone grabs a file & then
      switches off their machine).

      Reasonably simple idea would be to have a naming policy e.g. let's say the
      doc is a purchase order & thus stock must be "locked". if the Order doc was
      DTDname-PriKeyUID-NNNN.xml where NNNN is the number of copies currently "in
      circulation" then updates / changes could only be carried out if NNNN = 1.

      i.e. if you were the fifth person to grab that doc for order 97 you would
      get order-97-5.xml & the locator could be order-97-*.xml.

      You would have to refresh until you got to be the person with order-97-1.xml

      It's a thought (though I am sure there are better ones out there).

      TIA

      Adam