Re: [xml-dbms] Getting up to speed with GenerateMap

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 26, 2001

      JSYK, the default JDBC driver returns 1 max connection, but I believe this
      is not a limitation native to Postgres (or even the driver itself). There's
      another driver which seems to implement all of this a bit better:

      http://jxdbcon.sourceforge.net/

      Sean

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 26, 2001
        Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
        > Can I _store_ documents that will store
        > into more than one table?

        Yes. You only need one insert statement at a time.

        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 27, 2001
          Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

          > as a result, I believe I may have two threads travelling through
          > one Map at the same time:

          I haven't done any multi-threaded programming in Java (or any other
          language), but if this is true, you will definitely have problems. This
          is because Connection objects (which are encapsulated by Maps) are not
          naively thread safe. That is, if two different threads are using the
          same connection, they are almost certain to run into problems due to
          commits/executions/etc. on one thread colliding with those on another.

          -- Ron
        • Gary Lawrence Murphy
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 27, 2001

            R> I haven't done any multi-threaded programming in Java (or any
            R> other language), but if this is true, you will definitely have
            R> problems.

            Actually, I'd accounted for this, but the problem appears to be one
            of persistent state between calls; Maps are apparently not re-usable
            as the state after the previous use is more complicated than simply
            using a new connection. It needs a full-init method. That's the
            current theory; I'll revisit this later if I have time.

            Not to worry: I've abandoned caching Maps and just pay the penalty of
            reparsing them hundreds of times a minute ;)

            btw, how could you program in Java and _avoid_ doing multi-threaded
            programming? It's _soooo_ easy, it's outright seductive :)

            --
            Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym@...> TeleDynamics Communications Inc
            "Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."(Pablo Picasso)
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 27, 2001
              Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

              > Actually, I'd accounted for this, but the problem appears to be one
              > of persistent state between calls; Maps are apparently not re-usable
              > as the state after the previous use is more complicated than simply
              > using a new connection. It needs a full-init method. That's the
              > current theory; I'll revisit this later if I have time.

              Or wait for 2.0. In 2.0, Map objects have a very static state. All the
              connection and statement stuff is moved into connection and statement
              pools.

              > btw, how could you program in Java and _avoid_ doing multi-threaded
              > programming? It's _soooo_ easy, it's outright seductive :)

              Never had the need. XML-DBMS is the first thing I wrote in Java, and
              making it multi-threaded was a much lower priority than figuring out the
              theory behind it and getting it working. Maybe someday...