Re: [xml-dbms] SQL file produced by the Generate-Map example

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2000
      Alwin Schmitz wrote:

      >Why are all the names of the tables and columns in the SQL statements
      >of the SQL file produced by the Generate Map sample written in
      >inverted commas?
      >My mysql-database doesn�t understand these commands.

      These are used to "quote" the identifiers (table and column names). For the
      reasons for doing this, see the comments in questions 4 and 5 in the email:
      http://www.eGroups.com/message/xml-dbms/149?&start=133

      What is strange about this is that Map.java calls the MySQL driver --
      specifically, it calls DatabaseMetaData.getIdentifierQuoteString() -- to
      found out what character MySQL uses to quote identifiers. Thus, MySQL should
      recognize the inverted commas. I would therefore suggest the following:

      1) Try a different MySQL driver. If the driver is returning the wrong value
      for the quote character, this is a bug in the driver.

      2) Look at the MySQL documentation and see if it says anything about
      identifier quote characters.

      3) As a last resort, modify the code in Map.java so setQuote always returns
      a zero-length string (""). Be forewarned that this might cause other
      problems.