Re: [xml-dbms] Database Schema

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2001
      Native XML databases support support schema evolution to some extent. In
      particular, stored documents are not required to match any schema at
      all. Thus, you could store a series of documents with an evolving schema
      in a native XML database without any problems and (probably) with no
      performance degradation.

      What native XML databases do not appear to support is application
      transparency. For example, suppose you store a complete address in an
      <Address> element. Suppose you then decide to change your schema and
      store the address in <Street>, <City>, and <Country> elements. Your
      application must be aware of the difference and query both forms. In
      other words, although the schema evolution doesn't cost anything in
      terms of database performance, it is not transparent to the application.

      (I suppose it would be possible to define a mapping layer on top of the
      database, but this would clearly be an expensive thing to do. I am also
      not aware of any native XML databases that do such a thing.)

      I have two other comments:

      1) I don't entirely agree with the statement, "frequent evolution of a
      database schema significantly decreases performance of a database
      system." Changing a relational database schema can be a very expensive
      operation, since it requires changes to every row for which the schema
      is changed. In the sense that it might require the database to be
      offline during schema update, it decreases performance. However, it
      seems quite reasonable that, except for this offline time, many schema
      changes shouldn't decrease performance.

      2) Your question would be a good question for the XML:DB mailing list:

      http://www.xmldb.org/projects.html

      -- Ron