Re: [xml-dbms] v2.0

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2001
      ed.majcher@... wrote:

      > Is the code on SourceForge usable?

      The v1.1 code (in the de module) is usable. I'd say the new stuff is
      beta quality.

      The v2.0 code (in the org module) is not usable to transfer data. This
      is because many of the classes -- such as DOMToDBMS and DBMSToDOM -- are
      missing. It is usable for writing other v2.0 code.

      > What is needed to start using it, or is
      > it in a non-stable state?

      The v2.0 code is relatively stable for writing code. I'm finding bugs in
      the implementations, but the interfaces aren't changing much.

      > Are you interested in any assistance coding the
      > next version?

      Love some. See the following message for details:

      The most useful thing for me would be writing MapFactory_Database. This
      would exercise a side of the map code that hasn't been pushed hard yet.
      The other useful (and easier) thing to do would be to update
      MapFactory_DTD for 2.0, which might be a good introduction to the 2.0
      map objects.

      I've written MapSerializer and am working on MapInverter (it turned up
      some design bugs). Other people are working on DOMToDBMS and
      MapFactory_W3CSchema. An early version of DBNameChecker is already done
      and MapChecker and DDLGenerator are not critical path.

      -- Ron
    • Angel
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi Ronald and others member,

        I've just read your article in:
        http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1136

        I already d/l the program and run it, it works fine
        what I'm asking now:
        1. what's the different between this program and xml-dbms you made
        (advantages), except its ease of use

        2. I still cann't make xml-dbms run with HypersonicSQL database (Java
        open source database), I don't quite understand about map-file?
        do i have to write it manually or the mapping tool included in xml-dbms program?
        if yes how do I do it

        sorry if this is already in the manual, because i'm not really
        understand (english is not my native language)

        Cheers,

        John
        * Always behave as if nothing had happened, no matter what has happened.|Arnold Bennett *
        -----
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2001
          Angel wrote:

          > I already d/l the program and run it, it works fine
          > what I'm asking now:
          > 1. what's the different between this program and xml-dbms you made
          > (advantages), except its ease of use

          I haven't used DB/XML Transform, so I don't know the exact differences.
          Both products are based on the same object-relational mapping. I think
          the advantages of DB/XML Transform are:

          1) Bigger feature set. For example, it can create calculated values and
          add new fields.

          2) GUI-based mapping tool.

          3) Update the database. (XML-DBMS v1.01 can insert and read data, but
          cannot update or delete data.)

          I think the advantages of XML-DBMS are:

          1) Free, with no license restrictions.

          2) Includes source code, so you can change it if you want.

          3) Can maintain order information in the database. This is necessary for
          document-centric applications.

          Version 2.0 of XML-DBMS will add some of the features currently found
          only in DB/XML Transform, but not all of them.

          -- Ron

          > 2. I still cann't make xml-dbms run with HypersonicSQL database (Java
          > open source database), I don't quite understand about map-file?
          > do i have to write it manually or the mapping tool included in xml-dbms program?
          > if yes how do I do it

          Normally, you must write maps by hand. You can generate maps from DTDs
          with the GenerateMap sample, but these usually need to be modified by
          hand for the highest efficiency.

          For information about how to write maps, see the sample maps (in the
          samples directory) and sections 3 and 4 of the readme file.