why do we need TempMap?

  • yangsophie@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2001
      Looking at the source codes of XML-DBMS, I am confused by the
      architecture of mapfactories. Why do you generate a TempMap first,
      then convert it to Map?
    • rpbourret@rpbourret.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2001
        > Looking at the source codes of XML-DBMS, I am confused by the
        > architecture of mapfactories. Why do you generate a TempMap first,
        > then convert it to Map?

        Stupidity.

        The reason was supposed to be speed -- TempMap uses Vectors (slower) while Map
        uses arrays (faster). However, I've been looking at this recently and noticed
        that, for the most part, this doesn't matter, because the vectors/arrays aren't
        accessed very often compared to other parts of the map. (I'd have to look, but
        I think they're only accessed when building SQL statements, which is a small
        amount of the time, since the statements are only built once.)

        In any case, TempMap is going away in 2.0, so you won't need to worry about it.
        (The functionality in TempMap, such as adding a Column to a Table and inverting
        the XML-centric view of the map into a DB-centric view, is being moved into the
        various map objects as well as into standalong map utilities.)

        --
        Ron