488Re: [xml-dbms] All in one answer....

    Dec 1, 2000
      Just a quick note. I think I'm finally understanding what you've been
      getting at with this properties stuff and am starting (I think) to see
      the light.

      Basically, it appears that you are thinking of the transfer engine as a
      server process and using properties as a communication protocol, with
      the nice tie-in that anybody can generate them. I am thinking of the
      transfer engine as an in-process class, demanding an API.

      Since we're moving towards a server process anyway, the
      properties-as-communication protocol makes sense and the API I've been
      talking about just moves down a layer.

      The problem I see with all this is that a properties file is a one-way
      protocol. That is, how do we return things like session IDs, errors, and
      even XML documents to the client?

      I'll give this some more thought and get back to you on Monday, if not
      sooner.