FF "Everywhere 1.2" (1/1) PG-13 [Scott, Ororo]

  • Elizabeth Wilde
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2000
      Author: Elizabeth Wilde
      Title: Everywhere 1.3
      Series: Driving Force
      Rating: PG-13
      Spoilers: none
      Feedback: to wilde_moon@... unless you want
      these to get even MORE depressing
      Notes: Yeah, I know, that summary describes half the
      series. So sue me!

      ...Ever since you said good-bye
      I've been out here on the wind,
      And, baby, you would be surprised
      All the places you have been.

      Scott stared hard at the road. It had been five years
      since the airport. Ten years since he left the
      school. //Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.// The hurt had faded
      some over the years, certainly. Scott probed his own
      emotions. The wounds weren't so fresh. He could
      think of Jean without breaking down sobbing.

      "Could you write when you get there? Or call? I
      don't want to... I'd like to stay in touch."

      He hadn't, of course. //Left her in the lurch. What
      the fuck did I do that for... some kind of revenge?//
      He didn't like pondering what twisted part of himself
      had decided that trying to forget Jean was a good
      idea. //It isn't fucking going to happen.//

      The lines on the road blurred. The states blurred.
      Everything looked the same, even when it was
      different. None of it mattered. Scott had decided
      long ago that he preferred his memories to the life he
      was leading. //Better a few lost happy memories than
      a depressing future I can recall every damn painful
      minute of.//

      I hear you're doin' fine
      ...Got a man that's home every night
      A couple of kids and the kind of life
      That you want to lead.
      Guess you could say the same for me,
      But you and I made our choices
      All those years ago
      Still I know I'll hear your voice
      And see you down the road.

      "Ro?" There was silence and Scott said again, "Ro?
      You there?"

      "I-I'm here," the woman stammered, normally calm voice
      flustered. "Good God, Scott, where are you?"

      "Somewhere in Ohio. But that's not why I called. I-"

      "You want to know how Jean is."

      It was Scott's turn for a moment of stunned silence.
      He sighed into the motel's tinny-sounding phone.
      "Yeah."

      "She's good, Scott. Do you want to know everything?"

      "I... yes, I do."

      "You know that she and Logan were married?" Ororo's
      voice was quiet and gentle, soothing even on the cheap
      phone.

      "I know."

      "They..." she paused, clearing her throat. "They have
      two children."

      "Two... Oh."

      "Nathaniel and Sarah."

      Scott knew Jean had chosen the boy's name. They had
      talked about having kids someday. //What's the song
      say? "Someday never comes"?// "How old?"

      "Nate is five and Sarah is two."

      //Five. God, she might have been pregnant when I saw
      her.// "And they're happy?"

      "Very happy, yes."

      "Good."

      A beat. "Are you coming back?"

      "No." Scott felt tears welling in his eyes. "I
      can't, Ro. Not anymore. It's too damn late."

      "I know."

      He nodded and felt the tears spill over onto his
      cheeks. "Don't tell... just..."

      "I won't tell anyone you called."

      "Thanks, Ro." Scott hung up the phone quickly and
      covered his face with his hands, shoulders shaking
      with sobs.

      You're on every highway just beyond the high-beams,
      Right beside me in all of my sweet dreams.
      No matter where you choose to be,
      In my heart I'll always see you...

      In Albuquerque waitin' out a blizzard
      Arizona dancin' 'cross the desert
      Watchin' the sun set in Monterey
      Girl, I swear, just the other day you were
      Down in Georgia pickin' them peaches
      Carolina barefoot on the beaches
      No matter where you choose to be,
      In my heart I'll always see you
      Everywhere.

      Scott turned out of the motel's driveway and onto the
      road again. Some demonic voice urged him to go back,
      telling him it wasn't too late, that there was still a
      place for him in the only place he'd ever called home.
      //But there isn't. It's not home anymore. Not for
      me.//

      He groaned at his own lack of self-control when he
      felt tears threatening again. //No more tears. If
      you've got to fucking remember, remember. Stop
      thinking about how much everything hurts now.//

      Jean had been with him when he left. She stayed with
      him down every road and through every city. Scott had
      forced himself long ago to accept that he couldn't be
      with her, but he refused to let go of her ghost.
      //Nobody can make me give her up. Not even me,//
      Scott swore silently as he turned toward Texas again.
      //What the Hell. It's where I told her I'd be. At
      least we'll have that much.//

      He almost smiled as he pushed the car a bit faster,
      but it was a bitter smile. Wherever Scott went, he
      planned on keeping his memories close to his heart.
      //They're all I have left.//

      THE END

      Are you happy now? I made myself cry! And my friend
      cry! And she doesn't cry! You'd *better* give
      feedback! Or I swear I'll find a way to make this
      even darker!

      Peace & Love,
      Beth

      =====
      Catch Your Breath [my index site] ~ http://www.catchyourbreath.net

      "We've always been ready for female superheroes because women want to be them and men want to do them." -Famke Janssen

      Cyclops: "I'm sorry. My mind must have been...elsewhere."
      Jean: "The gutter, perhaps?" ~X-Men #8

      http://photos.yahoo.com/