  • Kate Andrews
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2000
      X-Men Movie Fanfic List FAQ Version 1.1
      Originally written 7/18/00 by Kate Andrews
      Revised 7/26/00

      1. So, what is this thing, anyway?
      2. What's allowed?
      3. What's not allowed?
      4. No comic universe fic?
      5. How do I label my stories?
      6. Where do I find the stories?
      7. Can I put these stories up on my website?
      8. Feedback? What's that?

      1. So, what is this thing, anyway?

      We're a mailing list for people who want to write, read, and discuss
      fan fiction that takes place firmly in the universe of Bryan Singer's
      2000 film, X-Men.

      2. What's allowed?

      Discussion of the movie, movie characters, story ideas, stories
      themselves, and feedback on the stories. Unfinished, beta, humorous,
      crossover, NC-17 and any other sort of story is allowed, however, it
      has to be related to the FILM version of the X-Men. There are plenty
      of other great lists for comic based X-Men fan fiction. Discussion
      of media related to the film (e.g., the cover of Entertainment Weekly
      this week has Hugh and Rebecca on the cover, check out this article
      on that site, etc,) is fine.

      3. What's not allowed?

      Flames, obviously. Virus warnings, get rich quick schemes, cookie
      recipes and anything about a sick boy who wants 5,000 greeting cards
      before he dies is not a message for this list. Also, one line "me
      too"s and off topic discussions that go on and on are frowned upon.
      Basically, if your message is only for one or two people, please mail
      it to those people. Also, if you think the movie sucked, don't get
      on here and flame us. Go make your own list.

      4. No comic universe fic?

      Nope. I have no problem at all with stories about Phoenix, Hank,
      Gambit, etc, but this list is for the movie universe. Now, if you
      want to write about how Gambit gets introduced to this version of
      Rogue, or about how Beast used to be a teacher at Xavier's but left
      for such and such a reason....have at it. But for the purposes of
      this list, the Movie is canon. Humor, crossover and SC stuff is also
      fine, but again, all stories must have _something_ to do with the
      movie continuity.

      5. How do I label my stories?

      You don't need to add [xmenmoviefanfic], the list does it for you.
      Any story should be labled in the subject line something like this...

      FIC: Every Time (1/3) [Rogue] NC/17

      Letting us know the title, what part you're posting, the main
      character/s (optional) and the rating (necessary for R and NC-17
      fics.) Lable anything with objectionable material, including
      character death, rape, explicit sex, graphic violence, etc. I'm
      sure there will be underagers subscribed, as well as people who have
      no interest in reading erotica, and it's only courtesy to let them
      avoid reading stories they have no desire to read.. Unfinished
      stories are welcome, but should be labeled as such. (1/?) is the
      standard. Beta stories (stories that are still in rough draft form)
      should be labeled BETAFIC.

      In the beginning of the story, please include the following
      Title, Author, Rating, Short Summary, and a standard "I-dont-own-them-
      nor-am-I-making-profit" disclaimer. Also, you should add a statement
      regarding the archivability of your fic, (archive wherever but e-mail
      me first, don't archive, only archive on ACFF, etc.) Unless you
      state otherwise, all non beta version fic will be archived on the
      list's site when I get it up and running.

      6. Where do I find the stories?

      On the list archive. For now, they'll be put on the file section of
      the E-Groups site for this list. If we get any decent number of
      stories, I'll start a site.

      7. Can I put these stories up on my website?

      If the author states in their intro that the story is free for
      archiving, go to it, but it's courtesy to let them know you're
      putting their story up. If they don't state that in their intro, e-
      mail them to ask.

      8. Feedback? What's that?

      It's the lifeblood of fan fiction. If you liked, loved, or even were
      mildly amused by a story, drop the author a line. We writers put
      hours and hours into writing these stories that everyone gets free of
      charge. It's depressing as hell to send it out and not know if
      anyone read it, let alone liked it. Even better are the e-mails that
      tell us what you like, specifically, what lines made you laugh, what
      sections were unclear, what dialogue made you choke on your soda
      etc.

      If there's anything I've left out of the FAQ, or questions you think
      might be "Frequently Asked", e-mail me at idontwannawait@...
      or xmenmoviefanfic@...

      July 18, 2000