FIC: Translation (Logan/Rogue 1/1 pg-13)

  • stealthbunny@msn.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2000
      Title: Translation
      Author: Kamara (also known as Canukke)
      E-mail: stealthbunny@...
      Rating: PG-13
      Summery: Logan and Rogue need a lesson in communicating
      Archive: Please ask first. I'll letcha, no problem... but feed
      ego by
      letting me know you want it. I might even write more that way.
      Disclaimers: As usual.
      Notes: Thanks to my betas, as always. Also, I should mention that
      I'm not
      really crazy about a Logan/Rogue pairing (I still think she's too
      folks. It's
      probably a felony), but this hit me at 3am one morning and
      let me
      get back to sleep until I had mapped it out.

      She was a good fighter.

      Logan noticed that right off.

      But of course he would.

      She moved beautifully in the practice area, each move fluid and
      She was a work of art.

      Logan didn't think she'd survive a real battle. Her moves
      were too
      perfect. Too flawless. She had been taught perfectly, but there was
      room for variation in her technique. She would excel in sanctioned
      fights in real life didn't go by rules. And she was obviously
      used to

      He prowled along the perimeter of the practice area, part of his mind
      watching the students as they sparred, and another part trying to
      the woman's name. She was a teacher here, fairly new, within the
      last few
      months. She had been introduced to him, but he had paid about as much
      attention to
      that as he did to most of the school administration details. Which
      was very
      little, outside of the self defense and martial arts classes he

      He still swore he didn't know what had come over him to accept
      job. Him! A teacher! It still made him laugh.

      But he knew why he had done it, and he even let himself be honest
      it... but only to himself.

      He had taken the job because he had wanted to stay.

      They got to him. The geeks got to him. He had tried to fight it,
      tried to
      leave, but here he was.

      Logan repaced his route, hooking an ankle around Bobby's as he
      by. The kid fell flat on his face in the middle of showing off to
      He glared at Logan, checking his nose for blood. "If you'd
      attention to
      what you were doing, you wouldn't have a sore nose," Logan
      and went

      He couldn't remember the woman's name, or her mutation, and
      about her jarred any recollections either. He paused by the
      gymnastic area
      long enough to pick up a fistful of chalk dust. He stood behind the
      studying her as she went through her kata, then stepped up to her and
      a punch.

      She blocked it strongly, without missing a beat.

      He blew the chalk dust into her eyes.

      She stumbled back, pawing at her face, and Logan swept her feet out
      from under her. She landed hard, and he was on her even faster,
      claws out
      and at her throat. "You'da been dead if I'd been
      serious, darlin'."

      "That was a dirty trick," she snarled.

      "Wouldn't make you any less dead." He stood up and
      walked away,
      leaving her sprawled on the floor.

      He heard the motions of her throwing something, and he whirled,
      out with his claws, and shredded the sneaker she had thrown at him.
      heard Jubilee squawk -- it had been her sneaker. He grinned.

      "Do you teach all your students this way?" she asked icily.

      Logan peeled remnants of sneaker off of his claws and handed them to
      Jubilee, who gazed at the shreds tragically. "No. They have to
      learn the
      basics first. _You_ are past that. Be here tomorrow afternoon. You
      help me
      teach the beginners."

      She stood, trying to look dignified while rubbing her eyes. "I
      my own
      classes to teach."

      "That's fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with _my_

      She gaped at him. "You really _are_ a son of a bitch, aren't
      you? I
      thought they were all exaggerating."

      He grinned and shook a finger warningly. "Watch your mouth.
      children present."

      She looked around wildly, and Jubilee shrieked, diving for her other
      sneaker. "No! Throw someone _else's_ this time!"

      He asked Rogue about her, later, because to ask anyone else would be
      admitting to them that he didn't know. And because he _could_
      and even if she teased him about it, it wouldn't matter. Because

      And besides, it gave him an excuse to talk to her.

      He really didn't need an excuse. She would drop every and
      anything to
      talk to him. But he found himself wanting excuses and looking for

      Because Rogue was the reason he stayed.

      So he found her after dinner and asked if she'd take a walk with
      it was hard not to smirk when she abandoned Bobby in an eyeblink.
      When he
      asked her about the teacher, she rolled her eyes at him.
      Don't you have enough of the female population goin' faint
      about you
      as it

      He wished her accent hadn't faded so much in the years since he
      her. He found himself missing it, and would occasionally tease her
      she got angry, because anger brought the drawl back. And he would
      grin at
      her then,
      until her anger melted into laughter, which was as beautiful as her
      and so he would win twice over.

      He could tease her now, about her being jealous. But he didn't
      Because she might actually say that she wasn't jealous. And
      say it
      seriously enough that he'd be forced to believe her.

      "Nah," he said lightly. "Can I help it if the women
      flock to me?"

      She punched his shoulder. "My, aren't we bein' arrogant

      "Just today? To hear Cyke talk--"

      "Behave," she warned, but her eyes danced.

      "That's no fun," he grumbled, and won another of those
      from her.

      "Her name's Kim McWharter."

      He had been lost in her laughter. "Who?"

      Rogue frowned at him and rapped his forehead with her gloved knuckles.
      "Hello? The teacher you were askin' about?"

      "Just checking to see if you were paying attention,

      "Uh huh." She didn't believe him for a minute.
      "Anyway, she teaches

      Rogue shrugged. "A few of the students had been taking lessons
      they came here. And we decided we needed someone here who could
      encourage that." Logan hid a grin at the "we", which had
      made its
      way into
      Rogue's speech whenever she talked about the school's
      teaching staff,
      since she had started teaching herself. "Besides," she said
      in a
      tone, "the kids need something to soothe, and for some of them,
      music. Kim
      plays several instruments, and there's her mutation."

      "Which is?"

      "She can control emotions through her music, which has been very
      when we get distraught children. All we need is her in the background
      unobtrusively playing, and the tension level almost vanishes. Her
      name's Chimes."

      "More of those silly names," he grumbled, as he always did.

      "Of course, Wolverine," she answered, as she always did. Her
      narrowed at him. "You aren't dumpin' me for her now,
      are you?"

      "Never," he said, intending to make it a joke, but instead,
      it came
      soft and serious, and she looked away quickly.

      They walked in silence for a few moments longer, then Rogue murmured
      about having papers to grade and... well, she didn't quite flee,
      damn near close to it.

      It put Logan into a foul mood for days. It was miserable, being in a
      mood when he was supposed to be teaching kids. Being in a foul mood
      supposed to be savored, preferably by taking it out on the people
      him. Preferably Scott. Yes, Scott would have been a perfect outlet.

      He didn't see Scott for the next several days. Didn't even
      scent him.

      Knowing Jean, she probably came up with some scheme for getting Scott
      away from the mansion until his mood eased. If nothing else, it
      saved her
      from having to patch the two of them back together when he did decide
      pounding Cyke would definitely make him feel better, even if it
      didn't solve

      Jean was entirely too good for One Eye.

      So he didn't have the preferred target for his anger, and Jean
      lashed into him when he barked at one student and made her cry. He
      thought _he_ was angry... but it was nothing compared to Jean.

      He would have rather faced Sabretooth again. Any day. Bar none.

      But it still didn't help his mood any.

      Rogue avoided him.

      He made it easier for Rogue, by avoiding her.

      Jean was waiting for him one day after he had released his last class.
      They flew out of the gym with even more haste than usual, and the
      the last kid had fled out the door, Jean marched in, hands on her

      "I did _not_ yell at any of `em today," he snarled before
      she had the
      chance to say anything.

      "No, and that's because a good half dozen of your students
      are in the
      infirmary faking headaches, stomach aches, and the whooping cough to
      get out
      of your classes." She tilted her head and let out an exasperated
      "Didn't you even notice there weren't as many students to
      yell at?"

      "I didn't yell," he muttered.

      He looked at her.

      "Whatever it is -- and I don't want to know -- whatever it
      is, fix
      it. Or
      go take another trip. The students are all on edge, everyone else is
      drop you out of the Blackbird, and I want my husband back. So just
      fix it!"
      turned on her heel and stalked out.

      He decapitated a punching bag.

      It didn't make him feel any better.

      "So you going to talk to her, or what?"

      Logan spun around, growling. Chimes was sitting on top of a stack of
      mats, her head pillowed on her fist. He hadn't been paying
      to realize she was still there. "I just talked to her. She just
      me. What, you didn't get enough entertainment the first

      "Not Jean, you idiot," she said, her tone with an echo of
      exasperation. "Rogue."

      He had been about to light into her for the "idiot" comment,
      name stopped him flat. "Why would I want to talk to her?"
      sounded lame
      even to his own ears.

      "Give me a break." She hopped off the mats and began picking
      up the
      remains of the punching bag. "You are so much in love with her,
      surprised the whole school hasn't figured it out. I don't
      know why
      care, or why you're so worried about them finding out, but I
      lucky the
      telepaths are so scrupulous with the stay-out-unless-invited

      Logan realized he was staring at her, his mouth open. He closed it.
      "What gives you the idea I'm in love with her?"

      "I've seen your eyes when you look at her," she said
      softly. "Your
      doesn't give anything away, but your eyes do."

      "Y'know, I'm suddenly thinkin' this is none of your

      "'Suddenly' nothing. And it is my business when you start
      taking it
      out on
      our students."

      "'_Our_' ? My classes, my students, darlin'," he

      Chimes stood up, her eyes flashing anger for the first time.
      became `our' students when you ordered me to help teach, and
      more so
      when you started sulking so much that you began ignoring them except
      to roar
      at them."

      "I wasn't ignoring them, and I wasn't roaring," he

      She cocked her head at him, one eyebrow raised pointedly. "Did.
      Talk. To. Rogue."

      "She doesn't want to talk to me."

      "Did she tell you that?"

      "She hasn't talked to me!"

      "It's a two-way street, Logan. Takes two people to have a
      She handed him a broom and dustpan. "Here. Clean up your mess.
      I'll be
      right back."

      "What makes you think I'm going to stay?" he challenged.

      Chimes let out a long-suffering sigh. "Because you want to yell
      at me
      some more."

      "Damn straight, I do."

      "Fine. If you wait until I come back, I'll let you yell at
      me, and I
      even interrupt. Maybe you'll vent out enough so that our
      will feel
      enough to come back to class."

      "My students," he felt he had to grumble.

      "Whatever." She left.

      Logan chucked the broom across the room, then kicked the dust pan over
      to join it, just out of General Principles. How dare she? That was
      problem with everyone in this place. They all felt the need to butt
      in and
      in the name of trying to help. Help! All it was helping him do was
      decide to
      pack up and leave again. Anything would be better than this. In
      fact, why
      He could pack and be out of here in --

      Chimes strode back in, dragging Rogue behind her. She pulled Rogue in
      front of her and gave her a little push towards Logan.

      They stared at each other mutely.

      "It's very easy to do," Chimes urged. "You open your
      mouth, engage
      vocal chords...."

      Logan did so. "Back off, Chimes!"

      "You see? The last thing he wants to do is talk to me."
      Rogue made a
      dash for the door.

      Chimes caught her by her gloved wrist and hauled her back.
      both of you!"

      Rogue sat.

      Chimes glared at Logan and pointed to the floor in front of Rogue.

      Logan growled.

      Rogue looked at him with pleading eyes.

      Logan sat.

      "Now." Chimes sat next to them, where she could look at both
      of them.
      "Since you two seem to know how to talk, the problem must be in
      translation. So I'll interpret."

      "This is stupid," Logan growled.

      Chimes looked at Rogue. "He's afraid of looking stupid in
      front of

      "Well, _that's_ stupid," Rogue said.

      Chimes turned to Logan. "The only way you look stupid to her is
      you avoid her because you're afraid of looking stupid. She cares
      about you,
      and she'd rather you be honest with her."

      "Which is pretty hard to do when I can't find her."

      "What he really means, Rogue, is that he cares about you, too,
      the same honesty. And he wants to know why you were avoiding

      "Hell, I know why she's avoiding me."

      "You do?" Rogue looked startled.

      Chimes looked at Logan. "Enlighten her."

      He snorted. "Well, there's the age difference."

      Rogue threw her hands into the air. "Would you stop thinking of
      me as
      that kid you found in your trailer? I grew up, Logan."

      "I noticed."

      "Excuse me?" Chimes waved her hand to catch their attention.
      "Could I
      say something here?"

      "No," they both snarled.

      "Tough. Logan, you remember back fewer years than she's been
      so age shouldn't really be an issue here. Don't stop to
      think about
      now. Just let it rattle around in that brain of yours."

      "Yeah, but --"

      "Think about it later, Logan. Next argument?"

      "She shouldn't be hangin' around someone like me anyways.
      There are
      better people for her out there."

      "He thinks he's too wild and vicious for you."

      "Oh, Logan," Rogue sighed. "Sugah, I wouldn't have
      you any other way.
      `Cause that's who you _are_. I wouldn't like you if you
      were anyone

      "If that's so, why were you avoidin' me?"

      Rogue watched her fingers twining around each other and didn't say

      Chimes looked at Logan. "What's she's saying right now
      is that the
      reason is extremely important to her, but she's terrified you
      see it
      that way and might laugh it off."

      "You can tell me anything, darlin'," Logan said.

      "No translation necessary," Chimes said rather smugly.

      Rogue still didn't look up. "Because Ah'm -- because
      it's dangerous,
      Logan. _Ah'm_ dangerous." Her accent had come back in a
      rush with

      "She's afraid she'll hurt you."

      "I've been through that before."

      "_He's_ not afraid."

      "It's not jus' that," Rogue said. "It's not
      fair to him."

      "Ah," Chime said in sudden understanding. "Logan, she
      thinks that
      you can't touch her, a relationship wouldn't be fair to you.
      And that
      eventually, you'll get tired of not being able to touch her and
      her for
      a woman
      whose pants you can get into."

      "Hell, Marie, love ain't just touchin'."

      "No translation necessary," Chimes said.

      "'N we can get creative about the touchin', too," he
      added with a
      mischievous glint in his eyes.

      "We're not going there," Chimes said quickly, holding up
      her hand in
      warning. "You're on your own for that discussion. And if
      managed to
      get to that topic, you probably don't have any more need for me.
      we learned from all this?"

      "That you can't mind your own business?" Logan growled,
      but the usual
      bite was gone from his voice.

      "And aren't you glad I can't?" Chimes picked up one
      of Rogue's hand
      one of Logan's and laced their fingers together. "No, we
      that it
      doesn't matter how much you love someone, if you don't _tell_
      dropped a
      kiss on their interlocked hands. "Be well."

      She stopped at the door and looked back at them. Their other hands
      were intertwined now too, their heads bent together as they murmured
      to each
      other. _If only I could take my own advice._ Her gaze focused on
      She was proud of herself, and what she'd done, and that neither
      them had
      heard her own heart breaking.

      They did not notice her leaving.

      And they never knew she had packed and left until she didn't show
      her classes the next day.

      And they never knew why.