Fic: Lives and Fortunes, Chapter 0 of 10

  • Mo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2010
      Lives and Fortunes - Series Notes
      Series Title: Lives and Fortunes

      Author: Mo

      growing into his new role. Jean-Paul has joined the X-Men full time and he and
      Adam are back together. Then an enemy they thought was long gone strikes.

      Characters and Pairings: Various characters appear in this series, both canon
      and original. The main pairings are Scott/Logan and Jean-Paul/Adam Greenfield
      (an original character).

      Rating: This series is intended for an adult readership. It contains graphic
      descriptions of sexual activity and deals with adult relationships and concerns.

      Format: A story series expected to be 10 stories and about 25,000 words.

      Scenario/Sequel/Series: X1 Movieverse, although much has happened since the
      movie. This series was written well after X2, but does not attempt to include
      the events portrayed in that film. I attempt only to be consistent with the
      first movie and my previous fiction.

      Lives and Fortunes begins a few months after the events depicted in Past and to
      Come. In my timeline, the “not so distant future” of the movie (released in
      2000) is the year 2006. This series takes place during 2014.

      Brief biographies of the main characters, both canon and original, are
      available, to make it easier for those coming in well into the story. They can
      be found here.

      The characters, situations and events in Lives and Fortuns are consistent with
      those portrayed in my previous stories and series:

      Anything Can Happen
      I Know What You Are
      We’re Not What You Think
      Canadian Nights
      What a Long, Strange Trip It’s Been
      Night and Day
      Foreign Correspondence
      Adult Education
      Continuing Education
      Safe House
      Different from All Other Nights
      Commencement
      Chips Cashed In
      Taking Chances
      Trials
      Unexpected Occurrences
      Reminiscences
      A Time for Every Purpose
      What's Past is Prologue
      Past and To Come

      All of these are available, with illustrations, on my website at
      http://mo.fandomnation.com/fic/

      Note on Character Origins: As covered in some of my previous fiction, my version
      of Cyclops has neither the origin story of the comic books nor that of the movie
      novelization. His back story is one of my own devising. It is covered
      extensively in Canadian Nights, Commencement and Chips Cashed In, and is
      revisited and expanded upon in What’s Past is Prologue and in Past and To Come.
      It preserves the comics convention of the Summers brothers having a complicated
      and difficult relationship, but the reasons for both the complexity and the
      difficulty are specific to my fiction and are not an attempt to reproduce their
      comic book history.

      Disclaimer: The X-Men and Alpha Flight belong to Marvel. The movie belongs to
      Fox. Adam, Miriam, and Ezra, and assorted other characters are the products of
      my fevered imagination. The 92d Street Y is a great place and as far as I know
      no violence has happened there. Scott and Logan feel a little bit like they're
      mine, too, since I've been borrowing them for so long.

      Feedback: Oh, yes! I love feedback. Please comment on the chapters as published
      in my livejournal, review the stories on my website, or send me email at
      mogbrg@...

      Archiving: Sure, just ask. Alternative file formats available upon request.

      Additional Information: Most of my characters — as Magneto points out in the
      movie — live in a school. My version of Cyclops is an English teacher and tends
      to think in literary terms about events around him. Consequently, my fiction
      includes a lot of literary quotes and allusions. It has been my practice to
      publish a literature guide providing supplemental information on literature
      quoted in each series, along with URLs for the complete works, if available. The
      guide for Lives and Fortunes will be posted after the stories themselves. It
      contains spoilers so should be read after the series. As is my occasional
      practice, the file contains information not only on literature referenced but
      also on some issues raised in the series.

      A Note On Posting Works in Progress: I'm starting to post this without having
      finished the whole series. I don't usually do that, but I'm having trouble
      finishing this one and hoping this will kick start the finishing. I am having my
      chapters betad and revising and copyediting before posting.
       Mo
      Mofic Website: http://mo.fandomnation.com/fic/
      mofic.livejournal.com