NEW FIC: One Is the Loneliest Number

  • Mickey
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2008
      Title: One Is the Loneliest Number

      Author: Mickey

      E-Mail: cyclopsfearless@...

      Categories: Angst, Drama, Ficlet, PoV

      Content Level: C

      Content Warnings: Character Death

      Archive Permission: Ask first. I'll probably say yes.

      Disclaimer: Recognizable characters are Marvel's and Stan Lee's. No copyright infringement is intended. I'm not making any money off this, so don't waste your time, or mine, suing me. Okay? You wouldn't get anything anyway, I'm flat broke.

      Word Count: 150

      Author's Notes: So, I'm sitting here watching Stargate Atlantis and the line "One is the loneliest number" just popped into my head. The lyrics seemed to fit with how Scott must have been feeling at the time. The title of the fic is from the song of the same name by Three Dog Night, which can be found at the end of the fic. This is written from Scott's point of view and takes place between X-2 and X-3. This is my first attempt at writing a movie verse fic.
      _____________________

      One is the loneliest number. As a child, I always wondered what they meant by that. After all, one is just a number. How can it be lonely?

      Quiet as I was, I had a lot of friends in school. Then my power manifested and I took out the wall separating the girls and boys bathrooms. I suddenly became acutely aware of just how accurate that statement is.

      Then the Professor came and took me away. He gave me a home and gave me back my sight, limited though it is; it's better than being blind. After a while, I made knew friends, gained a second family, and met the woman of my dreams. Two hearts became one and one wasn't so lonely anymore.

      But now she's gone and, in a house full of people, I'm one again. I'm alone once more, and, as before, one is a very lonely number.

      THE END

      One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
      Two can be as bad as one
      It's the loneliest number since the number one

      "No" is the saddest experience you'll ever know
      Yes, it's the saddest experience you'll ever know
      'Cause one is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
      One is the loneliest number, whoa, worse than two

      It's just no good anymore since you went away
      Now I spend my time just making rhymes of yesterday
      One is the loneliest number
      One is the loneliest number
      One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
      One is the loneliest, one is the loneliest
      One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

      It's just no good anymore since you went away

      Number
      One is the loneliest
      Number
      One is the loneliest
      Number
      One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
      (Repeat in various forms)

      The Heart of a Hero
      http://www.theheartofahero.com

      Insanity is fun! Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
      --Mickey

      The more I see of men, the better I like dogs.
      --attributed to Madame Roland