[ADMIN] Re: [xmmff] [META] Research issues for writing x-fic....

  • Minisinoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2005
      I'm sorry for cutting in, but I must ask that folks reply to all
      these questions offlist, thanks. The terms of our group's FAQ allow
      posting of stories, of messages about contests, interviews, and
      websites, and discussion (feedback) on a particular story. It
      doesn't allow general research questions. Just to clarify, from our
      FAQ, available here:

      1. What's allowed?

      A) Fiction based on the X-world of the films -- any genre, rating,
      pairing (or none). Unfinished works are permitted, but please
      so-indicate in your story notes, as some readers prefer to wait for a
      story to be completed before starting in to read it. Crossovers are
      also permitted.

      B) Public feedback and discussion of posted stories is once again
      permitted. This rule has gone through waves. Originally, the list
      allowed public feedback, then due to the sheer volume of daily posts,
      discussion and feedback was asked to be taken to our sister
      discussion list. But as traffic has been extremely light, we're
      revoking the "stories only" rule.

      If you're sending feedback on a story, it'd be helpful to place
      "[FB]" in the subject header. Also, simplifying the subject to title
      and author would be appreciated. ALL feedback will be assumed to
      contain possible spoilers, so please don't read a feedback letter on
      a story you haven't read yet and complain about spoilers. Likewise,
      any fiction based on a movie installment may be assumed to contain
      spoilers for that movie.

      Please do NOT post heavily critical feedback onlist, unless the
      author has specified that such feedback is welcome.

      C) Posts concerning fanfic matters (such as fanfic contests), as well
      as archive announcements and site changes may be posted. Please
      indiate such posts with a [META] in front of them.

      2. What's not allowed?

      A) GENERAL DISCUSSION OF THE MOVIE(S) is not allowed. This is not
      the place for X1, X2 or X3 film reviews, spoiler announcements,
      discussion of the characters, the actors, the director, or possible

      Please don't post an introductory "Hi, I'm new." We're delighted to
      have you and glad you're enthusiastic, but this list has over 1000
      members now. PLEASE keep that in mind, or other list members might
      cheerfully skin you. :-)

      ** Please take any questions about the film[s] (even if asking for
      fanfic) to our sister discussion list
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xmenmoviefanficdisc/), and/or to
      X_MEN_FILMS. **

      B) FLAMES of any kind are absolutely forbidden. Goes without saying,
      but I'll say it anyway. You flame, we'll boot you, do not pass go,
      do not collect $200. What's a flame? An ad hominem or personal
      attack on another list member, or a post containing vitriolic
      hostility towards an author, a story, a character, a pairing, etc.

      C) NO REPOSTING of stories unless a year or more has passed.
      Reposting your story after a week or month does NOT elicit more
      feedback if you received little or none the first time. It simply
      annoys people. The only exceptions to the 'no reposting' rule are
      stories that suffered severe formatting problems the first time --
      e.g., half the story was cut off, all paragraph spacers were
      accidentally removed so it was one long paragraph, etc. This does
      not include editorial changes to fix spelling or grammar errors.
      Don't post an unbetaed version then the corrected one; please have
      stories proofread *before* posting, thank you.

      It is, of course, perfectly acceptable to post a link to previous
      chapters or prequel stories at the top of your current (new) story.

      C) No virus warnings, get rich quick schemes, cookie recipes and
      anything about a sick boy who wants 5,000 greeting cards before he
      dies. Also, one line "me too"s (especially with all the previous
      story or post attached) are frowned upon. Basically, if your message
      is only for one or two people, please mail it to those people.

      D) Although I'm not sure it qualifies as "disallowed" -- we do ask
      posters to use normal spellings rather than chatroom abbreviations
      (ur for 'your' NEways for 'anyway'), as a matter of courtesy. An
      email list isn't a chat room, and chat shorthand is hard to read.

      **Repeated violations of the above may result in being placed on
      moderated status, or even expulsion. We generally give "Three
      Strikes" before booting someone, but ...**

      E) Any use of the XMMFF membership list in order to obtain email or
      IM addresses for the purposes of harrassing other authors will result
      in IMMEDIATE banning from the list -- no Three Strikes or moderated

      XMMFF Co-Mod

      --- wolf_crescentwalker <atropa755@...> wrote:

      > Greetings, gang. I'm in a quandry.
      > I've enjoyed the hell out of reading fanfic this summer; sort of
      > takes the edge off jonesing for X3 to be released. But now I need
      > some answers/help on these topics:
      > * is there a list/forum/whatever to help in researching X-details?
      > For instance: I have read 3 different fanfic comments about how
      > much
      > adamantium (by weight) Logan is carrying around inside him. I
      > can't
      > recall that 'that' specific detail is ever mentioned in the movies,
      > so I'm guessing that all those references are either assumed by the
      > fanfic author, or alluded to in the comics somewhere. Having NEVER
      > read an X-comic, I have no clue, but I'm a stickler for details.
      > * I have found a lot of disrespect for "Mary Sue" characters (some
      > deservedly so), and yet I've really enjoyed a few of them. I
      > realize
      > that a MS is not in line with this list, since it's Movieverse, but
      > I'm looking for a general overview of fic-writers on well-done
      > MS's.
      > I guess that's enough to get me started. Any and all feedback on
      > these topics is greatly appreciated, and if you don't want to reply
      > on-list, please get back to me at wolf755@... (where you
      > are
      > much less likely to get lost in the typhoon of Yahoo! bulk mail
      > that
      > I delete unread).
      > *tips hat*
      > Wolf