FIC: Under the Trees (What’s Past is Prologue 18/18)

  • Mo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4, 2005
      Under the Trees (What’s Past is Prologue 18/18)

      Jean and Scott staked out Nick’s place for much of the
      afternoon. They had no trouble getting into his
      building. It wasn’t a doorman building and it was
      large enough that people who lived there didn’t expect
      to know all their neighbors. It was pretty easy to
      just piggyback on someone else entering, Scott with
      his keys at the ready. Looking like residents, the
      real residents having no clue they were keys for
      somewhere else entirely.

      They’d gone up to Nick’s apartment. Jean had
      pinpointed it on Cerebro before they left. “Thanks,”
      Scott had told her, when she gave him the address.
      “I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

      “I’m coming with you.”

      He shook his head. “I’m taking Logan. You’re hors de
      combat.”

      “Well, maybe my going along will ensure it doesn’t
      turn into a combat mission."

      "Not this time. I appreciate the offer."

      "Scott, Logan is not the man for this mission. With
      the mood you’re in lately – and the mood he’s in all
      the time – someone’s likely to get killed if it’s you
      and Logan.” He’d hesitated, and she’d added. “Come on.
      You need me. I can tell you what’s going on in that
      apartment. Yeah, he could tell you what they're
      saying, if you're close enough, but I can tell you
      what they're *thinking*. And together you and I have a
      better chance of convincing her to come back than
      either of us would alone. Better than you and Logan,
      for sure.” He’d nodded his agreement.

      Now, in the hall outside Nick’s apartment, Scott was
      glad he’d agreed. Jean listened telepathically and
      held up four fingers, to indicate how many people were
      in the apartment. Scott shook his head. “Too many.”
      Jean nodded. “I don’t want to be seen waiting here,”
      he added. “How far can you hear their thoughts from?”

      “I’m not sure. Let’s try the coffee shop downstairs.”

      It was a tall building, and mostly studios and one
      bedrooms, which made for a lot of people. It took
      great concentration on Jean’s part to stay focused on
      the thoughts emanating from the occupants of 12A, but
      she managed. When they worried that they were staying
      too long in the coffee shop, they tried walking along
      the block, stopping into shops. Three buildings down
      seemed to be the limit of Jean’s telepathic range.
      Trying to stay inconspicuous, they bought something in
      each shop along the way, taking as long as they could
      without attracting attention. And then went back to
      the coffee shop.

      “How many now?”

      “Just Nick and RoseAnn. The first guy left a while
      ago. I think he’s in the building, though. Maybe he
      lives in one of the other apartments. That other one
      just left a minute ago. I could hear him at the
      elevator, impatient to get out of there. We’ll
      probably see him come out.” A minute later she nudged
      Scott and told him to look out the window. “That’s
      him,” she said, as a man emerged from the building and
      walked quickly across the street, getting into a
      waiting car. He had a messenger’s bag slung over his
      shoulder, his arm holding it tight against his body.

      “What were they doing in there all this time?” Scott
      was scowling.

      “A drug deal.”

      “Was Nick buying or selling?”

      “Buying. Large quantities, I guess. That bag was full
      of cash. It’s all that guy was thinking about.”

      “Any sign of Nick leaving soon? Or RoseAnn?”

      She shook her head. “No, they don’t seem to be
      thinking about going anywhere. They’re sitting on the
      bed, watching TV.”

      “Shit. I wanted to get to her alone, but I think we
      shouldn’t wait. Who knows what else will be going on
      in there? I don’t want her involved in – or exposed to
      – any more of Nick’s business. I want her out now.
      Let’s go.”

      As they approached the apartment, Jean reached to
      press the buzzer. “No,” Scott said. “Stand back.”
      Switching glasses for visor, he opened it slightly.
      Red light flashed quickly as the lock disintegrated
      with the force.

      Nick looked pretty much like Scott had expected. A
      little too good looking in a slick, flashy way.
      Mid-thirties. Currently looking both surprised and
      pissed off. “Who are you and what the fuck are you
      doing here?” was his greeting.

      “We’ve come to take RoseAnn home. Come on RoseAnn,”
      Scott said, looking right at her.

      “Tawny, you know these people?” And then, recognition
      dawning, “Ah, they’re the freaks.”

      “Mr. Summers. Dr. Grey. I...” RoseAnn seemed at a loss
      for words.

      Jean stepped in. “This isn’t a safe place for you,
      RoseAnn. We need you to come with us now. We’ll talk
      on the way back.”

      “She’s not going anywhere. Certainly not back to that
      freak house. She doesn’t belong with you muties.”

      “You’re not getting a chance to exploit her anymore,”
      Scott said between gritted teeth.

      “Nick says I don’t have to work anymore.”

      Jean spoke again. “RoseAnn, don’t trust him. I don’t
      know what he has planned for you, but think about it.
      You’re fourteen years old. You need home and
      protection and education and safety, everything we’re
      offering you. Not a life with some drug-dealing pimp.”

      “But Jamie – “

      “We’ll talk about Jamie later,” Scott answered, in his
      most commanding voice. “This is not where you belong.”
      He held out his arm to her and she got up off the bed,
      starting to walk towards him.

      Nick jumped up and grabbed her before she could go
      anywhere. One hand across RoseAnn’s chest, he pulled a
      gun out of his pocket with the other. He aimed it at
      Jean, then Scott, seeming unsure of where to point it.

      “Leave now, if you know what’s good for you,” he said.
      “Tawny is staying with me.”

      “We don’t want any trouble here.” Jean’s voice was
      calm, almost soothing. “RoseAnn is going to come with
      us. You’ve got other girls, Nick. You don’t need her.”

      “Yeah, I do. Her parents want her back and they’re
      willing to pay. I need you muties out of here before
      her mother shows up. I’m not letting you screw up this
      deal.”

      “Nick!”

      “Come on, babe. It would take a shit load of tricks
      for you to earn me fifteen grand, and that’s what your
      mom is willing to give, no questions asked.”

      “I can’t go back there!”

      He held her tighter, waving the gun at Scott and Jean,
      frozen in place. “So you run away again. Big deal.”
      Turning towards the two X-Men, he added, “You two –
      out! Or there’ll be more trouble than you can handle.”
      He cocked the gun.

      Before he could do anything more, the barrel started
      bending, twisting, until the end of it was folded,
      pointing back at Nick. “What the fuck!”

      Nick dropped the useless gun, but his arm moved up to
      RoseAnn’s neck and he gripped her tightly. “Nick,
      you’re hurting me,” she said, but then she was
      coughing as he squeezed, having trouble talking.

      He backed into the wall, RoseAnn in front of him, one
      arm around her neck and the other round her waist.
      “Get out!” he yelled. “Now! I don’t want to hurt her,
      but I will if you don’t leave.”

      Scott reached to his temple and opened the visor. A
      red light emerged, blasting a hole the size of a
      baseball into the wall, three or four inches from
      Nick’s ear. Scott’s voice was even and clear. “Okay,
      now you know what I can do. And you know that I’ve got
      good aim. A few inches to the left and that would have
      been your head. I do it again and it will be. Take
      your fucking hands off my daughter or I’ll kill you
      where you stand.”

      Nick’s hands fell to his sides and RoseAnn ran over to
      Scott. One arm encircled her, as he kept the other
      hand at the visor controls. He held her as she sobbed.
      “Are you okay?” he asked, eyes still on Nick. She
      nodded into his chest. “Sit down!” he told Nick,
      gesturing towards a chair. Nick did what he was told,
      eyes never leaving the visor.

      “What is there here that we can secure him with?”
      Scott asked RoseAnn. “I just need him immobile for a
      short while.”

      She pointed at a closet. “There’s packing materials in
      there. Some rope, I think.”

      Scott nodded. “Jean, get the rope. Tie him to the
      chair.” As she started to move towards Nick with the
      rope, he added, “No. Stay back. I don’t want to give
      him a chance to try anything.”

      She nodded and the rope floated over to Nick. He
      watched, astonished, as the ropes wrapped themselves
      around his wrists, forming knots around the chair
      arms.

      “It doesn’t have to be neat,” Scott added. “You’re not
      doing sutures. As long as it will keep him in place
      for a few minutes, it’s fine.” He turned to RoseAnn.
      “Where are the drugs?”

      “In the wall safe. Behind that picture.”

      “Fine. Open it up.”

      Nick sputtered a minute, then composed himself,
      saying, “Tawny doesn’t know the combination.”

      “I don’t need a combination,” she said, taking the
      picture out of the way. RoseAnn’s hand came up and she
      held it there, concentrating for a minute. The safe
      opened. It was full of clear plastic bags filled with
      white powder.

      “Good. Okay, Jean – are you done? RoseAnn, get the
      phone. You’re going to call 911.”

      “What do I say?”

      “You don’t say anything. They’ll talk to you, try to
      get you to talk. Don’t answer at all, not a word. Just
      stay on the line until they say the address. Then hang
      up. They’ll send the cops right over. Standard
      protocol if no one speaks.”

      RoseAnn followed Scott’s instructions. “We’re leaving
      now,” Cyclops said, as soon as she hung up. Both women
      walked out with him.

      The police car was just pulling up as the three
      mutants exited the building. “Where’s the car?” Scott
      asked.

      “The next block. Are you guys mad at me?”

      Jean gave her a hug. Scott shook his head. “No, not
      really,” he said. “Mostly sad that you didn’t come to
      one of us. And I’m sad that I haven’t been more
      available to you, in general. I’m sorry, RoseAnn.”

      “I’m sorry I ran away. It was a stupid thing to do.”

      “Yes, it was.”

      “Daughter, huh?”

      “It kind of slipped out.” They reached the car. “Give
      me the keys,” Cyclops added.

      “I don’t have keys. I don’t need keys.”

      “No, of course not. Well, fine. You start it, but I’m
      driving. As of now, we’re back to obeying the law.”

      Jean took her cell phone out and called Xavier’s as
      they pulled out of the parking space. Scott heard her
      say, “I’ll tell him.”

      “What will you tell me?”

      “You’ve got an appointment at the White House
      tomorrow. With the President.”

      “Hard again?” Logan kissed Scott, holding the base of
      his cock in his fist, stroking slowly with thumb and
      forefinger. “I like this.” He pushed his tongue into
      Scott’s mouth. Scott sucked on it, moaning a little.

      Logan pulled back from the kiss after a minute, still
      stroking. “Was Nick more dangerous than you let on?”
      he asked. “Did he almost take you?”

      Scott laughed. “Are you kidding? Some two-bit criminal
      against Jean and me? And RoseAnn, for that matter,” he
      added. “She’s going to be some fighter when she grows
      up.” He licked his lover on the neck. “Believe me, it
      was a foregone conclusion. Why did you say that?”

      “You’re so into it tonight. This is how you always get
      after a narrow escape. You know – dying for dick.
      Can’t get enough.”

      “I do?”

      “Yeah, you never noticed? I sure have. I’d even been
      thinking maybe I could get some villain to almost kill
      you, get you back in gear. Only I got stuck on
      guaranteeing the ‘almost’ part, so I gave up on that
      idea.”

      Scott laughed. “Thanks for your concern for my
      welfare.” He turned serious, thinking about what Logan
      had said. “Am I really like that after dangerous
      missions?” Logan nodded. “Sex as a life-affirming
      gesture, I guess.” Scott thought some more. “It’s been
      better lately, hasn’t it? Sex, I mean. I really have
      been trying.”

      “I know. Thanks for that. And, yeah, it’s been
      better.” He bent down and sucked on the head of
      Scott’s cock for a minute, tongue swirling around,
      then pushing into the slit. “But tonight,” he added,
      raising his head, “it feels like you’re not trying.
      Like you just want it, want me. Can’t get enough of
      me. And that’s even better.”

      “I do want you. Would you fuck me again, Logan?”

      “Sure thing. Turn over.”

      And then Scott was lying there, face down, legs
      slightly spread. Logan kissed his cheeks, licking
      right where the crack began. He spread more lube on
      himself, rubbing his cock slowly as he did. Taking his
      time, enjoying the sight of his lover waiting to be
      fucked. He got on top of Scott, pushing in all the
      way, then lying there still, deep inside him. One hand
      on Scott’s cock, the other on his shoulder. “You’re
      easy to get into.”

      “I’m relaxed. Ready for you.” Scott took Logan’s hand
      from his shoulder and kissed the fingers. “Would you
      do something for me?” he asked.

      “Sure. What?” Logan was starting to move in him now,
      stroking Scott’s erection as he did.

      “Extend your claws on this hand.”

      “I don’t know.” Still fucking slowly. "It’s hard for
      me to control how I move when I’m... My hands... I
      don’t think it’s safe.”

      “It’s okay. I’ll hold you by the wrist. I can control
      it for you. I just want to see them, touch them, while
      you’re fucking me.”

      There was a Snikt! sound right by Scott’s ear and then
      they were out. Logan was moving a little faster now,
      long strokes punctuated by growls and grunts. “Watch
      out for the edges,” he said, somewhat breathlessly.

      “I will.” The glint of adamantium was exciting Scott
      even more. The feel of Logan inside him, Logan’s hand
      stroking him, added to the sight of the claws in front
      of him and filled him with desire. He pushed back,
      moving with his lover, and reached out with his tongue
      to touch the metal claw.

      “Fuck, this is good,” Logan said. Faster and stronger,
      talking and pushing and stroking until he felt Scott
      coming underneath him. Then, retracting the claws, he
      pulled Scott up on hands and knees. The whole weight
      of his metal-laced body resting on the man beneath
      him, Logan continued fucking with a ferocious
      intensity until he came, too.

      They lay side by side afterwards, smiling but not
      touching or speaking. After a while, Scott reached out
      and took Logan’s hand, feeling the places in between
      the fingers, marveling at the unbroken skin.

      “Maybe I did have a narrow escape,” he said. “Just not
      like you thought.”

      “What do you mean?”

      “I was so scared of losing RoseAnn. Scared she
      wouldn’t come back to us. I felt like I fucked things
      up irreparably with her. Destroyed another
      relationship. An important one, more important than I
      even realized. When Nick grabbed her, I called her my
      daughter. Can you believe that? It just came out –
      ‘take your hands off my daughter.’ I don’t even know
      where that came from.”

      “Channeling the professor? He always called the kids
      here his children.”

      “Maybe. Maybe something else, something about RoseAnn
      in particular. About what I want to do for her, what I
      thought I’d lost, losing her. But then I found I
      didn’t really lose her after all. She did come with
      Jean and me. She did leave Nick. I don’t know what
      will happen with her and Jamie, but I’m pretty sure
      she’s not leaving here again.”

      “I think you’re right.”

      “Jamie, too – I could have lost him. I couldn’t blame
      him at all if he wouldn’t forgive me. I was horrid to
      him. But he seems to understand that that was about
      me, not him. He seems willing to accept my apology.”

      “He’s a good kid. He’s got perspective. He’ll look at
      the whole of who you are and what you’ve been to him,
      not one bad day.”

      Scott nodded, then sighed. “And then there’s Alex,
      too. Another narrow escape. I’d lost him. And, I don’t
      know, I feel like I lost part of me, too, all these
      years. Lost my childhood. I feel like I’ve got a
      chance to reclaim that now, in some sense. Like Alex
      is the key to that.”

      “When are you picking him up?”

      “Tomorrow. I’m going out in the Blackbird and getting
      him. It’s done. Signed, sealed, delivered. I wanted it
      done right away and luckily it’s good timing for
      Obama, too. With things heating up in North Korea,
      he’s hoping that’s where the press attention will be
      and it won’t get a lot of comment.”

      “It’s a risk, though. Presidential pardon of a violent
      criminal. Right when the President’s up for
      re-election, too.”

      “He wanted to wait until after the election. I
      couldn’t do that to Alex. I talked to him the other
      day, after the lawyer gave him the bad news. He
      sounded awful. Not even angry at me, just despondent.
      I got his hopes up – I’ve got to deliver.”

      “So what did you give Obama to get him to do this for
      you?”

      “You mean other than my soul?” Scott smiled grimly and
      shrugged. “Our services, for starters. X-Men missions,
      as he needs them.”

      “He didn’t settle for that, did he? You’re already
      doing that. How many missions have you done for him
      since the war’s over? The Professor got most of the
      concessions on mutant rights that way.”

      “Well, I suggested we might not be so cooperative in
      the future if he didn’t pardon Alex.” He sighed. “But
      you’re right. That’s not all I gave him.”

      “What then?”

      “Veto power. I said I’d consult him before we
      undertake missions for foreign governments. And not
      take them on if he feels they compromise the U.S.”

      “Shit.”

      “Yeah. I hate to lose our independence. I’m hoping it
      just won’t come up as an issue. Or if it does, that
      once he explains I’ll end up agreeing we shouldn’t do
      it. But it does feel like a bit of a Faustian
      bargain.” He rolled over, threw an arm around Logan,
      and held him close. “Nobody knows,” Scott whispered in
      his lover’s ear. “It’s completely sub rosa. I’m not
      telling anyone but you, and I’m pretty sure the
      President isn’t telling anyone. I had to do it. I need
      Alex out of there. I need him in my life.”

      “I’m telling you, Scott. He’s trouble.”

      “I know it. I’m going into this with my eyes open.”

      “It’s not just him, not just because of what he’s
      like. He’s your brother. Under your command. That’s
      just full of problems.”

      “You think I’ll go easy on him because he’s my
      brother? Do I go easy on you? On any of them? The
      team’s full of people I care about. That’s just the
      way we are. It doesn’t stop me from doing what’s
      necessary.”

      “I know. I’m not saying it does.” He stroked Scott’s
      hair in silence for a minute, then continued. “It’s
      different with him, though. You’ve got to watch
      yourself. You’re feeling too guilty for what happened
      to him. You can’t let that affect how you treat him,
      not as an X-Man.”

      “You’re right. I’ll watch for that. You watch for me,
      too. Tell me if you think I’m treating him different
      from the others. Okay?”

      “Sure. But it’s not just you. It’s him, too. He’s not
      disciplined, not used to an outfit like this. And
      maybe he’ll expect you to go easy on him, eh? Maybe
      he’ll think you’re being extra hard on him if you
      don’t give him special treatment. Maybe the rest of
      the team will think you’re going easy on him, even if
      you aren’t, just because they’re expecting you to.
      There’s just so many ways this could go bad.”

      “Yeah, I know. Like you said, he could wreak havoc
      with the X-Men. I’ll be on the lookout for that, do
      what I can to avert it. Deal with it if it happens.
      But I’ve got to do this, Logan. I’ve got to give him a
      chance.”

      “I know.”

      “Thanks for understanding.” Scott got on top of Logan,
      kissed him on the mouth, grinding his hips against
      him.

      “Hey, you wanna fuck again?” Logan said, smiling.

      “Yeah,” Scott answered, smiling too now and sounding
      almost surprised at himself. “Yes, I do.”

      Mo
      Mofic Website: www.angelfire.com/comics/mo
      www.livejournal.com/users/mofic

      http://mail.yahoo.com