FIC: Towards Some Overwhelming Question (What’s Past is Prologue 17/18)

  • Mo
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2005
      Towards Some Overwhelming Question (What’s Past is
      Prologue 17/18)

      “Scott? You got a minute?”

      “Yeah, sure. What’s up?”

      “It’s about the law firm we retained for your brother.
      I just wanted to update you.”

      “Thanks, Warren, but I think I am up to date. I spoke
      with Alex’s attorney. Alex gave him permission to talk
      to me.”

      “They’re returning most of the retainer?”

      “They don’t feel they can really do anything for him.
      They’ve met with him via teleconference. They’ve
      reviewed the transcripts and the police reports. His
      attorney said there really isn’t any basis for an
      appeal. He advised Alex to just be a model prisoner
      and hope for parole.”

      “When is he eligible?”

      “Not for another four years.”

      “So what happens now? Do you think he can keep out of
      trouble and wait it out?”

      “It’s too long. I can’t just leave him there.”

      “It’s not like you have a lot of choice in the

      “I got his hopes up. I’ve got to get him out. Thanks
      for trying with the lawyer, Warren. It would have been
      nice if that had worked out, but it was a long shot.
      I’m moving on to Plan B now.”

      “Hi, Mom. I just got your message. How’s Uncle Harry?”

      “Where were you? With that Jake Patterson?”

      “No, I’m not seeing him anymore. I was just at the
      park, with Ezra. How’s Uncle Harry?”

      “He’s going to be okay.”

      “Great! I’m relieved to hear that. Can I do anything
      to help?”

      “No, Mona and I have everything under control. It’s
      usually the second heart attack that kills you, you

      “This is his third, isn’t it?”

      “Yeah, that’s why he’s okay.”

      “Mom! It doesn’t work that way.”

      “I thought you were a journalist. Suddenly you’re a

      “Okay, Mom. Have it your way. So, where is he? I’ll
      send him a card.”

      “Mount Sinai. Sign it from you and Jean-Paul. I don’t
      want the whole family knowing you’re having problems.”

      “Mom, I –”

      “Don’t tell me I’m in denial. Don’t tell me I have to
      get used to it. Don’t tell me it’s none of my

      “I’m not –”

      “It’s time you came to your senses, Adam. Stop chasing
      that man in California and go back to the one who
      loves you.”

      "Mom, you don’t know what –”

      “I know, I know. ‘You don't know what you're talking
      about. Stop telling me what to do, Mom. I’m a grown
      man.’ Well, start acting like one, then. Ezra needs
      his parents. Together, not half the time with each of
      you. And you need each other. If ever two people were
      meant to be together, it's you two. You’ve got too
      much going for you; you’ve been through too much. You
      can’t give up now. You had your fling. You’re a lucky
      man if Jean-Paul’s willing to take you back. Wait too
      long and he might not.”

      “I’m moving to New York, Mom. To Xavier’s. Jean-Paul
      and I are back together.”

      “Thank God you finally listened to me!”

      “This has *nothing* to do with you. It’s between
      Jean-Paul and me. And I didn’t have a *fling*. And it
      *is* none of your business.”

      “Well, I’m glad you’re back together.”

      “Me, too. I’m very glad. Mom? There’s something else.”

      “Ezra’s a mutant.”

      “I thought it was Hank.”

      “We all thought that, but we were wrong. Hank’s not a
      mutant after all, apparently. And Ezra is.”

      “How do you know?”

      “He’s come into his powers.”

      “So soon?”

      “Yes, it’s very early.”

      “He’s so precocious. Just like you were. He’s more
      like you every day.”

      “Mom, he’s adopted.”

      “What does that have to do with anything?”

      “About the mutant thing - you’re not upset?”

      “Why would I be upset?”

      “I don’t know. I just thought it might be hard news to

      “What? You think I don’t know anything about mutants?”

      “I don’t think any such thing.”

      “My son-in-law’s a mutant.”

      “Oh, really? Do I know him?”

      “Ha ha. Most of the people I work with now are
      mutants. I spend about half my time at Xavier’s now,
      you know. And even at home, it’s not like I never see
      mutants. That nice couple on the third floor – the
      Jacobsons - they have a mutant daughter. I’m not
      exactly living in some cave, Adam. Some mutant-free
      zone. I live in the real world.”

      “Of course you do, Mom.”

      “What’s Ezra’s gift?”

      “He can change things different colors. He turned Hank
      blue. That’s why we were confused. He can change
      objects, people, anything.”

      “Well, that sounds very useful. Maybe he can save me
      some money. It’s getting very expensive dying my

      “You might have a little trouble getting through to
      him on just what you want. His powers are developing
      faster than his language is.”

      “That’ll come. Adam?”

      “Yeah, Mom.”

      “I’m glad you’re moving to Westchester. I’ll get to
      see you all the time, now that I’m working for the
      Foundation. Washington was so far...”

      “Mom, DC’s the closest I’ve been to New York since I
      finished school.”

      “I know. And I never complained when you were off in
      all those foreign countries, did I?”

      “Of course you did. You complained every time I talked
      to you.”

      “That’s not how I remember it. Anyway, it’s different
      now that you have a baby. I don’t want to miss my
      grandson growing up. I’m glad you’ll be home again,
      Adam. You and Jean-Paul and Ezra.”

      “Me, too.”

      “I won’t meddle, I promise. You don’t have to worry. I
      won’t interfere in your personal life.”

      “Of course not. I never imagined you would.”

      “You little shit!”

      “Mr. Summers, I’m sorry.”

      “Where is she now?”

      “I don’t know! I think maybe she went back to her old
      boyfriend. Nick.” Jamie looked down. “I didn’t even
      know she was gone until this morning. I know I
      shouldn’t have said that stuff, but I was shocked. She
      was lying to me. I didn’t know anything. And I

      “You think you can just use her and throw her away
      like that? Just because it’s been done to her before?
      You have no idea how lucky you are that she liked you.
      It’s practically a miracle that a girl like RoseAnn
      Mendez would even talk to a self-important flyboy like
      you. And instead of appreciating that, you do your
      best to shred every ounce of dignity she’s managed to
      acquire. To *reacquire*. With greater effort and at
      greater cost than you can begin to comprehend. It’s
      your fault that she left, you little bastard. And if
      anything happens to her, her blood is on your hands.”
      Scott pounded on his desk, causing a cup of paper
      clips to turn over.

      “Mr. Summers. I...”

      Jamie’s wings began to flutter, not under his
      conscious control. His whole body shook as Scott’s
      hand went to his glasses. Jamie didn’t move, just
      closed his eyes and waited. Nothing happened. When he
      opened them again, he saw that Scott’s glasses were
      indeed off, but he had closed his own eyes before
      removing them. Eyes closed, he sat there, head on his
      desk, silently crying.

      “So what?”

      “Come on. Tell me all about it.”

      “All about what, Wendy?”

      “It’s like pulling teeth with you lately, Jean-Paul.
      First you tell me you weren’t even going to call this
      Rick character back. Then I see you spending half the
      memorial service talking to him.”

      “I was just doing that to keep him occupied. Adam and
      I took turns. We didn’t want him hearing anything we
      wouldn’t want to read in the Washington Times.”

      “Oh come on. Fine, if that’s all there was to it, but
      it’s not. Then you go off and spend the whole weekend
      with him, and you won’t say a thing. And I know you
      were there the whole weekend because I called you
      umpteen times. When you leave on Friday and come back
      on Monday – that’s not a trick; that’s a

      “So Wendy Ringsmith is the arbiter of such things?”

      “Haven’t I always been?”

      “Well, I didn’t spend the weekend with him. Bien sur,
      I was barely with him for an hour.”

      “It didn’t work out?”

      “No. It very much didn’t work out. I won’t see him

      “Well, good.”

      “Qu’est-ce qui ce passe? First you want to hear all
      about it. Now you’re glad I’m not going to see him

      “I was just trying to be supportive. But really,
      Jean-Paul! It’s like Kolya all over again. I know
      you’ve got a thing for reporters, but you didn’t have
      to go for an anti-mutant one, did you?”

      “It’s nothing like it was with Kolya. Rick’s not like
      that. He's not a mutant hater. He’s just doing what he
      thinks his job is.”

      “Don’t tell me you approve!”

      “I don’t. I hate that paper and all that it stands
      for. I’m just saying he’s not like Kolya. Kolya was a
      mutant hater. Rick’s just an uptight closet case with
      a personality that’s equal parts compartmentalization
      and rationalization.”

      “You make him sound so appealing.”

      “I said I’m not seeing him anymore, n’est-ce pas? And,
      actually, I'm not really pleased with myself for how I
      treated him."

      "What happened?"

      "I don't want to talk about it. Anyway, he's not what
      you're making him out to be. Not for me, but a pretty
      nice guy. And he knew I was a mutant right away, I’ll
      have you know. I’m never getting into a Kolya
      situation again. I have a new policy – disclosure
      before sex. Or I did have one. I don’t need it

      “You never know. So, if you weren’t with Rick, where
      were you all weekend? Everyone at Xavier’s thought you
      were in DC.”

      “I was in DC. I was with Adam.”

      “I totally lost it with Jamie. I shouldn’t be allowed
      anywhere near the kids, Jean. I can’t believe I did

      “Where is he now?”

      “He’s with Warren. Who’s convinced I’m out of my mind
      and a danger to the students. And he’s right.”

      “You’ve been under a lot of stress.”

      “That’s no excuse. I was completely out of control. I
      wouldn’t be surprised if Jamie thought I was going to
      kill him.”

      “You can make amends to Jamie later. Look, let’s deal
      with the current problem. Jamie’s in good hands. Let’s
      figure out what to do about RoseAnn. What do you know?
      When did she leave? Where did she go?”

      “Last night. She sneaked out after lights out. Nobody
      realized she was gone until Jamie went looking for her
      this morning. She told Jamie about her past yesterday.
      They had a big fight. He says he was regretting what
      he said this morning and went to see her. And she was
      gone. Her roommates are both home for the summer, so
      there was nobody to notice...”

      “She must have left after rounds. Rogue reported all
      kids in their own dorms at midnight. How did she go
      anywhere anyway? There are no trains in the middle of
      the night.”

      “There’s a car missing. One that she’d been working

      “Where do you think she went?

      “Jamie thinks she went back to Nick. It makes sense.
      Where else does she have to go? I’ve always worried
      she would. I was trying to give her enough attention,
      enough focus, that she wouldn’t feel she needed to. I
      wanted her to know people care about her here. That I
      care about her.”

      “I know. She does know that. She loves you. And she
      was learning there can be a kind of love that doesn’t
      include sex. It’s an important lesson.”

      “Yeah, well I started that lesson and then fucked it
      up. Since Charles’s death, I’ve neglected her. This is
      my fault, not Jamie’s.”

      “Enough. Stop with the self-flagellation and let’s do
      what needs to be done. We’ve got to find her. And
      thanks to Charles – and RoseAnn – we can. It’s a good
      thing we’ve got Cerebro.”

      “Bobby, sugar! You’re duty officer today, right?”

      “Yeah, what’s up?”

      “Where’s Cyclops?”

      “On a mission.”

      “I have to get hold of him, right away.”

      “You can’t. He’s incommunicado until he gets back.”

      “Okay, then Jean.”

      “She’s with him, Rogue. A two-man mission.”

      “Jean? She’s supposed to be hors de combat.”

      “I guess it’s not a combat mission. They weren’t in
      uniform. I don’t know what it’s about, but they
      thought they’d only be a few hours.”

      “I don’t know what to do!”

      “What’s the problem?”

      “The *White House* is on the phone. For Cyclops. To
      tell him his meeting with the *President* is set for
      tomorrow. What do I say?”

      “Shit! Say he’ll be there, I guess. Take the
      information and give it to him when he gets back.”

      “What if he’s not back in time?”

      “We call back and say he has to reschedule? We send a
      substitute? I don’t know. Tomorrow’s duty officer can
      decide. What’s the meeting about, anyway?”

      “I have no idea. You think I’m gonna ask that?”

      “No, I guess not. Well, let’s just hope he gets back
      in time.”

      Mofic Website: www.angelfire.com/comics/mo