RE: [xmmff] FIC: Fortunate Voyager 4/4 (PG-13, Enterprise crossover)

  • Rachel Martin
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
      I really liked this story. I was looking for some new good fic to take my
      mind off the election results and was very happy to find this. Thank you. I
      hope you'll archive it on Nadja Lee's Cyclops site.

      I didn't need to know anything about the show Enterprise to enjoy this. It
      did make me curious to watch an episode.

      I don't believe I've read a fanfic about Scott having a secondary mutation
      of being able to travel through time/space, and I'd like to read more
      stories dealing with this.

      Although I think somewhere I once read a post (by Min?) discussing this. It
      is a really interesting idea, and would make sense since both his children
      (in the comics) can time-travel.

      And according to Marvel canon Scott's optic blasts come from some other
      dimension (!) So that must mean he is permanently able to access some other
      space/time. Since he can't turn off his optic beams then he must be
      permanently standing with one foot in another space/time, so to speak. You
      would think this would cause all sorts of temporal disruptions around the
      mansion.

      Of mutants with secondary mutations -- well, there was Jean, both telepathic
      and telekinetic. And then Emma is both telepathic and able to assume a
      diamond-hard form (kind of like Peter's organic steel form). Other than
      that, I can't remember other canon characters with distinctive secondary
      mutations. Although every Mary Sue on ff.net has at least 3 different
      incredible powers... And I found a male Mary Sue in one series who had the
      powers of Jesus Christ. I am not kidding.

      Oh, wait, Marvel turns Canon Rogue into a Mary Sue with 3 different
      incredible undefeatable powers, right. Argh. I am not a fan of Invincible
      Rogue, or Invincible Any Character.

      I suppose you could separate out Logan's and Hank's abilities into secondary
      and tertiary mutations, but they don't seem distinctly "separate" to me, but
      all of one piece.

      Anyway, thanks for a good story and a much-wanted diversion from
      post-election gloom.
    • Yahily Rivera
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
        I so agree! This is a fantastic story. I used to watch Enterprise but
        stopped because the channel moved out of my town. But now I'm looking for
        it!!! The whole temporal thing, man, you guys can't give me a break , I'm
        currently writing a story that has to do with this except that it takes
        place in the current canon. I just hope someone doesn't beat me to it
        before I have a change to finish it!

        Mara, you are brilliant! I expected nothing less from you! I hope you write
        more Scott fanfics soon!

        Yahily a.k.a. Water-Soter

        Rachel Martin <rachel_martin64@...> wrote:
[...]

        "A man lives not only his personal life, as an individual, but also, consciously or unconsciously, the life of his epoch and his contemporaries."

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Mara Greengrass
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 7, 2004
          Thanks to both Yahily and Rachel for your nice comments :) You made me
          blush.

          I'm especially glad to hear the story worked for people who weren't
          familiar with Enterprise, because all of my betareaders knew the show. I
          was terribly nervous about that part.

          As for Scott's secondary mutation, I'm amused that Rachel remembered
          Min's post, because Min's the one who gave me the idea to use him as the
          mechanism to get them into Enterprise's universe! I was dithering all
          over the place about how I wanted the characters to meet but I couldn't
          figure out a way to move them without it sounding stupid, and Min
          pointed out that it would make sense to use Scott.

          Anyway, I had a lot of fun writing the story and I hope you had fun
          reading it. I'm not writing much X-Men these days, but there is this
          Movie!Jean fic that I need to polish up someday...

          Mara