FIC: It Should've Been Me (1/1)

  • Laura Elaine
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2004
      It Should've Been Me

      Author: Sparkling-Diva/Laura Elaine

      Rating: PG/PG-13

      Genre: Songfic

      Feedback: Yessie please!! My e-mail is rogue200348@...

      Disclaimer: I don't own the characters since they are Marvel and I
      don't on the song by Yvonne Fair but I must say that it's a true
      classic.

      Author's Note: I hope that due to some of the stuff I wrote, M/S and
      L/J haters don't kill me for I am one of your people! I come in
      peace!

      Warning: May be a tear jerker for some.

      The wedding march began and everyone stood up in order to wait for
      the bride to come.

      I saw my love walking down the aisle

      Marie stood on one side of the main alter that had some seats as she
      waited for the man that she loved to come up to her.

      And as he passed me by, he turned & he smiled

      He smiled at her and she smiled back although she had to force it.
      She had an aching heat and she was trying her best to hide it while
      he continued heading up to the front of the room.

      Scott stood beside her and deep within him, he felt all the pain the
      young 20-year-old woman was feeling. He too was heartbroken. The
      woman he loved the most was marrying the person he hated the most.

      He wasn't going to go in the first place but decided that he
      couldn't just leave Marie there. He was aware that she had been
      struggling with this ordeal too, so he gave in last minute. He would
      just leave later and take a trip into town to take his mind off of
      things. After all, it wasn't like he could do anything about the
      situation now.

      Soon the bride entered with the Professor holding her hand. Her
      beautiful white, flowing dress caught the eyes of many.

      Marie looked up from Logan to Jean. All she saw there was love. They
      were staring at each other and smiling. It seemed like they couldn't
      care less about anything else that was happening in the world.

      The preacher joined their hands
      And all the people began to stand
      When I shouted:
      "You know that should have been me

      They all stood until they were asked to be seated by Kurt, who had
      been asked to marry them.

      Marie did so and Scott took her gloved hand into his. He squeezed it
      and gave her a small smile as a means of support. They understood
      each other so well now. After what happened between Jean and Logan,
      they grew closer in a family way. Marie was the younger sister that
      Scott never had and Scott was the older brother she didn't have
      either.

      Marie was so upset that Logan never paid attention to her as a woman
      rather than just a close friend. She loved him more than that but no
      matter what she would do, he wouldn't take notice. It was like he
      only had eyes for Jean.

      They had always been there for each other. She'd cry on his shoulder
      when she was having a bad day and Logan trusted her in expressing
      his feelings about Jean. It wasn't until Logan and Jean announced
      their relationship that things took its toll.

      Scott was furious. He even left the house for at least two months.
      When he came back, he didn't talk to hardly anyone except the
      Professor and Marie. She told him about the amount of sympathy she
      had for him and how sorry she was for what happened. It was during
      this process that he realized that she still had feelings for Logan
      that went beyond the average crush.

      Now more than ever her heart was aching and her mind was screaming
      for them to stop the whole ceremony. Yet all she could do was remain
      silent.

      Instead of her walking with you
      You know that it should have been me
      Getting ready to marry you
      Darling, darling

      You made a promise that we'd never part
      & then you turned around & broke my heart
      Now you're standing there saying 'I do'
      Holding hands with somebody new

      Marie remembered the promise he made so long ago. It repeated like a
      reverie in her mind.

      ***

      "I'll take care of you," he whispered as they were witting in the
      train.

      "Promise?" she said looking up into his eyes.

      "Promise."

      ***

      Also there was the handing of the tags.

      ***

      "I'll be back for these," he said as he placed them in her hands.

      ***

      She fought her tears back as the ceremony continued.

      It should have been me
      Instead of her standing by you
      You know that it should have been me
      Getting ready to say 'I do'!"

      Then the preacher asked, "Will there be silence, please?
      If any objections to this wedding
      Speak now or forever, forever hold your peace"

      Then I shouted:
      "It should have been me
      You know that it should have been me
      You know that it should have been me
      Darling, how could you do this to me?

      People let me tell you now
      It should have been me
      Instead of her standing by you
      You know that it should have been me
      I've always been faithful & true!"

      "If there are any objections to this wedding," Kurt said gulping and
      looking in Scott's direction, "Speak now or forever hold your peace."

      Jean and Logan looked at the audience and then smiled at each other
      as nobody made a comment.

      Despite that he didn't think the couple could last, Kurt had no
      choice but to go on with the ceremony. Slowly he nodded and
      replied, "I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the
      bride."

      Everyone stood up to cheer as they kissed. Everyone except Scott and
      Marie who remained seated. This was all too much.

      Is this a dream? Some horrible nightmare?

      No it isn't, she told herself. You've lost Logan. You've lost him
      forever.

      She felt so weak and swore that she was going to pass out on the
      spot.

      They newlyweds walked down the aisle and out of the room and soon
      others began to follow.

      After they were all gone, Scott stood up slowly and asked, "Are you
      coming?"

      "In a little while," Marie replied.

      "I'll be in the kitchen if you need me," Scott said before turning
      around and leaving.

      Marie nodded and went up to the altar. She touched with her glove
      the bouquet of white flowers that was on the podium stand.

      It could've been me, she thought before crying.

      She stayed like that for a least half an hour not realizing that
      time was passing. She then straightened up and took a tissue and
      wiped her face of the running mascara the tears had made.

      Marie walked down the aisle and when she arrived at the doorway, she
      looked back towards the front of the room only hoping that all would
      work well and that at least Logan would be happy.

      It Should Have Been Me Lyrics
      By: Yvonne Fair

[...]

      ..& fade