"Binary" (1/1) Bobby, John, Jean, Erik [PG-13] X2

  • katetshoni
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2004
      Originally posted to the LJ community about a week or so ago. My
      apologies to anybody who saw it there for cluttering up your in-box
      now.

      Title: Binary
      Author: trismegistus (katetshoni[at]yahoo.com)
      Rating: PG-13
      Characters: Bobby, John, Jean, Erik
      Teaser: A. adj. Of, pertaining to, characterized by, or
      compounded of, two; dual: a. gen. binary system (of
      classification): one by which each group and sub-group is perpetually
      divided into two, the one with a positive and the other with a
      negative character, until individuals (or genera) are reached.

      ***

      Brief excerpt:

      Another order came over the radio for us to land. A little stress
      line formed between Storm's eyebrows. She couldn't do this alone.

      I reached out. I felt along the currents of wind that whipped along
      the 'bird, reaching for the moisture I knew was all around us. With
      that as my guide, I rose up, let my consciousness drift to the arctic
      cold that circulated miles above us. I grabbed, dragged great
      fistfuls of it down through the atmosphere. It condensed as it
      plummeted. Hailstones shredded metal like paper.

      The last triangle disappeared.

      From behind me, Dr. Grey said, "Good job, Bobby," but she didn't
      sound like she meant it. I didn't care. I looked back at Marie, still
      unconscious on her cot. At least the safeties fastening her down
      hadn't unbuckled.

      The plane lurched. I dropped to one knee. John lunged for me me and
      steadied me before I could keel over.

      "What?" I said. John was staring at me like I'd just grown a third
      eye. His arm was tucked around my waist. I shrugged it off, and made
      my way back to my seat.

      John followed me back and dropped into a crouch at my side. Silently,
      he wiped his hand across the side of my face. He held his hand up to
      the light.

      Water was melting on the surface of his skin, running down the little
      grooves limning his fingertips.

      "You're leaking," he said.

      From the cockpit came a steady stream of curses.

      "What's wrong?" asked Dr. Grey.

      Storm hit the control array with the heel of one hand. "The fuel
      lines, they've frozen solid. I can't get any power to the thrusters.
      We're plunging into freefall."

      John looked at me, then. His eyes grew wide, and a sickle smile swept
      across his face. Out came his Zippo.

      "John, put it away," Storm said.

      John frowned. "Oh, so Bobby gets to show off but I can't do something
      simple like thaw us out before we crash and break into a million tiny
      little bits of flash-frozen freak?"

      "Shut up, kid. Don't make me cold-cock you."

      He wheeled on Logan. "What, you think I'm scared of you just because
      you're--"

      Dr. Grey's eyes flared, once. The floor underneath us suddenly felt
      warm, like beach sand baked by the sun.

      John gulped, then pocketed his Zippo.

      ***

      The rest is up here: http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmt269/binary.htm