GRAIL, X2, ensemble (brief introductory notes & URL)

  • Minisinoo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2004
      GRAIL
      Minisinoo
      http://www.themedicinewheel.net/grail/grail.html

      SUMMARY: At Alkali Lake, Jean Grey gave her life to save her fellows.
      But if so, what's risen from the water? A little bit ghost story, a
      little bit love story, a little bit mystery, a little bit suspense.

      WARNINGS: Like all my novels, GRAIL is written for adults. Because
      this story is Mystery-Suspense, I DO NOT INTEND TO CODE IT TO DEATH.
      That'd spoil it. Consider this the Big Neon Warning. :D Things May
      Happen that very young readers, or very sensitive readers, could find
      disturbing, and there are a few surprises along the way.

      (*Well, duh, Min, it's a suspense novel.*)

      I'm jus' sayin' .... Keep it in mind. And keep an open mind. ;>

      NOTES:
      ---------
      The events of Grail begin, more or less, directly after X2. Having
      seen the film is essential to making sense of the novel.

      Arthurian legend is rich with variant symbology. The Grail, the
      Phoenix and the Fisher King all figure, at least in some versions of
      the legend. Like the Grail, the Phoenix had the power of healing,
      and I doubt there's anyone in the movieverse side of X-fandom who
      doesn't realize by this point that Jean Grey's best-known codename
      is/was Phoenix. :)

      For character background, if anyone is interested, I'm using SPECIAL:
      THE GENESIS OF CYCLOPS (
      http://www.themedicinewheel.net/special/special.html ) as a basis,
      rather than AN ACCIDENTAL INTERCEPTION OF FATE (
      http://www.themedicinewheel.net/accidental/accidental.html ). This
      gives both Scott and Jean radically different origins from the other
      novels, but I have two reasons for making that choice. While
      conflicts between ACCIDENTAL INTERCEPTION and X2 are surprisingly
      small (considering), nonetheless, there are conflicts, while SPECIAL
      does not directly contradict X2 (however shocking and/or unlikely one
      may find Scott's background there). And I'm persnickety that way.
      Furthermore, the characterizations of Scott and Jean in SPECIAL are
      closer to their comic origins, and will support this particular story
      better.

      That said, one can read GRAIL without having read SPECIAL, although
      some references in GRAIL will (obviously) make more sense if one is
      familiar with the series. Since both SPECIAL and GRAIL are currently
      unfinished pieces, I will endeavor not to "spoil" (too much) any
      future events in SPECIAL by references from GRAIL. Because GRAIL
      assumes the background of SPECIAL, both Hank McCoy (Beast) and Warren
      Worthington (Angel) will appear, but none of the original characters
      from my other novels exist in this particular thread (EJ, Frank ...),
      just as they don't in SPECIAL.

      IMAGES on the website version: The lovely cover images were made for
      me by Stefanie (Meridian, http://www.geocities.com/the_starnet/ ) .
      Unless otherwise indicated, internal images are screencaps or my own
      manipulations. If you don't recognize an image from the film, and it
      appears to be a manipulation, please ask permission before borrowing
      it for other uses.

      =====
      --Min
      The Medicine Wheel: X-Men Fanfic