FIC: X-Book 4: Of Politics..., PG-13, Chpt 12

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2004
      X-Book 4 -- Of Politics, Tacos and Other Things that Give You
      Indegestion

      Chapter 12: On Demons and Other Beings

      By: Kath713/Leen713
      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover (with anything I can squeeze in), SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      ***

      Chapter Twelve:

      Mary walked down the hall toward Professor Xavier's office. She and
      Kurt had returned from mass less than an hour before, and since then
      she had been pacing around the hallways of the school trying to
      decide what she was going to say to the Professor.

      She had a velvet bag in her hands, and she was holding it tightly,
      feeling the shape of a book under her fingers.

      She just wanted to explain, start from the beginning and tell him
      everything that had happened to her, even if he did not believe.
      After all, her past did not involve mutants...at least not that she
      knew of. Talking about angels and demons had been much easier with
      Kurt, who accepted their existence without question. She could only
      hope the Professor would be as open to the truth.

      Mary thought again about the evil presence in that doomed base in
      West Virginia. It had been so cold, so hateful...and so familiar.

      Once, she had seen an angel. She did not doubt that. She had found
      him hiding in her school. He had been injured and she had felt bad
      for him. She had brought him lunch, sat on his lap, and talked to
      him...

      Simon, she thought, Simon had been an angel. The air in the room
      had not been cold, and I knew he was sad when he decided to hide
      that evil soul inside of me...

      Mary paused in mid-stride. The memory made so much sense in her
      head. But she did not know if it would be as convincing when she
      said it aloud.

      But the cold...that was different. She remembered another
      angel...very powerful, very old, and with that same cold growing
      around him.

      Gabriel, she thought, He came to our old trailer. He perched over
      my bed and looked down at me. He smiled, and I felt like I had seen
      him somewhere before...but then he changed when my teacher and the
      policeman broke through the door. The warmth around him
      disappeared...and the air grew cold. The cold wasn't just
      cold...the cold was hate...

      "It hadn't taken him yet," she muttered, "He...Gabriel...still had
      some of that warmth...that's why the other kids weren't afraid of
      him...that's why I wasn't afraid of him...until he tried to kill
      me...then he went cold...he had killed before...he said it...the
      Bible says it...so why was it different when he tried to kill me..."

      You have a world of work ahead of you, a voice echoed in her mind.

      "What does that mean?" Mary suddenly said aloud, her voice echoing
      in the empty hallway.

      "Maybe we can help you find out," a soft voice replied from behind
      her. Mary turned and saw Xavier moving toward her from the end of
      the hall.

      Mary shook her head, feeling a little embarrassed, "I'm sorry,
      Professor. I... I'm just...rambling. I'm not really sure...how to
      explain..."

      Xavier smiled, "No need for explanations or doubts, Miss Sloane,"
      and then he tapped his temple with amusement, "Your thoughts speak
      quite loudly..."

      Mary folded her arms and stared at him, "Then you know what I wanted
      to tell you..."

      "Pieces of it..." he replied, "And I'd like to show you something.
      Follow me."

      Xavier led Mary into his office, and moved his chair around to his
      desk. Mary sat down on the other side, and watched the Professor
      open a large, worn book. He stared at the text for a moment and
      turned the book toward her.

      Mary picked it up carefully and stared down at the words.

      On Demons and Other Beings, the title of the book read, and below
      that it said, Volume 49 – 1900 to 1950. A compilation by Gertrude
      Giles, Council of Watchers.

      She glanced up at Xavier with a frown.

      "Council of Watchers?" she asked and Xavier nodded.

      "An ancient organization dating back almost to the earliest written
      historical records," Xavier explained, "Their role in society has
      changed over the centuries but it always come down to their one
      duty. Discover the chosen few of each generation who have to power
      to fight off any supernatural force that may be a threat to the
      world around them."

      "Supernatural like...demons?" she asked quickly. She had almost
      said `like angels,' but quickly changed the thought.

      "Yes," Xavier answered, "Unfortunately, there are such creatures in
      the world. Many mutants were once considered demons because of what
      they could do or how they looked. But, now that science has
      discovered the mutant gene, the Council has formed a distinct line
      between them. For mutants are, and always will be, human beings.
      Demons are not. Even humans who become demons...such as
      vampires..." Xavier watched Mary's eyes widen slightly as he
      spoke, "...they have lost their life force, that spark within them
      that makes them human..."

      "Their soul..." Mary said quietly and Xavier smiled.

      "Some would agree with that," he replied.

      "So...you're a Watcher, then?" she asked.

      "Not...technically," Xavier said, and sighed, "Erik Lensherr and I
      had been drawn into the Council because of our powers. When the
      idea of `mutants' became more common knowledge to the general
      public, our place within the Council was questioned. By `our
      place,' I mean the place of all mutants.

      "Erik and I both agreed that the Council was derelict in its
      responsibilities toward mutants, however, our ideas on how to
      approach this new problem were quite different. Erik felt that
      mutants could be of great help to the Council and to the world, if
      their gifts were encouraged and nurtured.

      "However, the Council did nothing to sway the world's opinion on
      mutants, and we quickly became more feared and more hated than any
      demon or dark creature. Mutants were now targets of violence and
      Erik grew angry at the indifference to those unprovoked attacks on
      the innocent."

      Xavier sighed, "We left the Council then, and began to build this
      place. To be a school, a sanctuary, to any in need. Erik helped me
      build Cerebro...helped me design the Danger Room. But it was
      quickly clear to him that I had no intention of using these tools
      against `enemies' of mutant kind. Erik wanted a war, to prove
      mutant superiority over all beings...human or otherwise."

      Mary glanced thoughtfully down at the book in her hands and turned
      the pages. The text was legible and the pictures within were a mix
      of sketches and old photographs. Some of them were simply portraits
      of faces, some were images of monsters Mary had only imagined
      existed before.

      "He wants to be superior..." she said, "Over all of this?"

      "He is not mad, if that's what your thinking," Xavier said, "But I
      have often feared for his sanity. For mutants are becoming more
      powerful everyday. Magneto knows this. Every generation is more
      powerful than the last. And the number of mutants born is
      increasing, so his goal of mutant superiority is not so unreal in
      his mind."

      "But you don't agree," Mary said glancing up at him.

      "No, I don't," Xavier replied somberly, "There are beings in this
      world who have lived for millennia...maybe longer. And
      war...especially with beings created for destruction...is the last
      thing I want."

      Mary stared down at the book again. She was thinking of the
      creature in the hanger, and Xavier did not need to read to mind to
      sense that.

      "Can I keep this for a while?" she asked, "I'd like to read it...and
      I have a book you may want to read as well..."

      Xavier regarded her curiously as she drew a book out of the velvet
      bag she had been carrying. It was bound in black leather, and
      looked almost as well read as Xavier's copy of Volume 49. She
      handed it to him, almost reluctantly, and Xavier read the title.

      Thesis on Angels in Religious Scripture, By Thomas Dagget

      "I've seen angels before, Professor," Mary said quietly, "And I've
      seen demons. And after what I saw last night, I don't think mutants
      and humans will have as much to worry about demons as they do about
      each other."

      Xavier regarded her sadly, "I do hope you're right..."

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713
      *work in progress*