FIC: X-Book 4: Of Politics..., PG-13, Chpt 10

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2004
      X-Book 4 -- Of Politics, Tacos and Other Things that Give You

      Chapter Ten: Logan's Thoughts

      By: Kath713/Leen713
      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover (with anything I can squeeze in), SPOILERS FOR X2

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      Chapter Ten:

      Night was falling over Xavier's School for the Gifted, and a
      solitary figure stood by an open window on the second floor,
      listening as the dozens of children in the mansion went about their
      nightly routines.

      Logan took a long drag on his cigar. He held the burning smoke in
      his lungs for a few moments before expelling it out onto the evening
      wind. He watched as the escaping tendrils of smoke curled away from
      him and then quickly disappeared. He sniffed once at the outside
      air, as if expecting to sense some kind of approaching danger, but
      only felt the typical scents of a March evening.

      Logan stared out over the lawns, toward the trees, wanting to
      believe he understood everything that lie beyond the safety of the
      school. However, even after what he had learned of his past during
      his time with the X-Men, Logan knew he still had no true answers
      about who he had been before Stryker's experiments.

      He frowned as he thought back on the previous day's events, and
      about his final encounter with William Stryker. The
      crazed `general' firing on the last of the mutants he still
      controlled...and then turning his gun toward Rogue.

      In that moment, Logan had been the Wolverine, all of his inborn
      instincts reacting almost involuntarily for one simple need.
      Protect his family. Nothing else had mattered. All the answers
      that man may have given him lost all importance when the people who
      had become the most important to him were threatened.

      Then, there was Deathstrike. The Lady. The other like him. Her
      own claws tearing through Stryker, her own need for vengeance
      fulfilled...for now. Her words lingered with him...she had called
      him brother.

      Logan thoughts trailed on to those lost mutants he watched die in
      the now destroyed base. Apparently experimentation on mutants had
      gone on long before Stryker's time, and Logan knew they would
      probably continue now that he was gone.

      The SHOP, Systems Operations, Alkalai Lake...the same monsters under
      different names. They had invaded this school once, and they very
      likely could try again.

      Staring out with his keen eyes, Logan saw the first scattered stars
      beginning to appear in the sky. He took another thoughtful pull on
      his cigar, and did not turn as the soft whirring of Xavier's
      wheelchair approached from behind him.

      Logan heard the Professor stop close by, and he blew another puff of
      smoke from his lips before speaking.

      "It was another close call yesterday," Logan said, continuing to
      stare out the window.

      "I know," Xavier said gravely, "The past few years have created more
      dangers for mutants than all my years before. From the time Erik
      mobilized the Brotherhood...to these new threats which don't seem to
      have a name..."

      "But still threats," Logan said firmly, and then turned to look at
      Xavier, "Still dangers to these kids."

      "Sadly, yes," Xavier replied, "Which makes training sessions for the
      students here all the more necessary."

      Logan turned back toward the window and snuffed his cigar on the
      outer brick wall.

      "We're makin' them into soldiers," he said with disgust, "Just like
      Stryker was with those other mutants."

      Xavier sighed and looked down, "Hopefully...what they learn here
      will never need to be used."

      Logan looked back at the Professor doubtfully, but then frowned and
      folded his arms.

      "How much information do we have here about those other places that
      did mutant experiments?" he asked.

      "Only what scattered data we've collected over the years," Xavier
      said and then smiled apologetically, "Most of which you have
      gathered for us in your travels."

      Logan nodded, "Which wasn't much."

      Unfortunately, the Council does not readily interfere with other
      powerful organizations," Xavier explained, "Nor would they concern
      themselves with scientific studies of mutants. The Council made a
      clear division on what was considered a mutant event compared to
      what they considered supernatural events."

      Logan scoffed, "We're not considered supernatural? Aren't they
      calling us homo superior now?"

      Xavier grinned, "I'll let you read through some of my case notes
      from the Council. You'll see that what one encounters as a Watcher
      can rival any army of giant humanoid machines."

      "I think I should," Logan said, "And, I'm going back to that
      underground base where I found those old videos. Maybe there's
      something else there I missed..."

      "What do you think you'll find?" Xavier asked with a curious frown.

      "What do I think?" Logan said with a smirk, "Don't you just know
      what I think?"

      "I don't eaves drop unless it's necessary, Logan," Xavier replied

      Logan's smile faded, "I just want to know if anyone else is still
      doing what Stryker did. If any of those experiments are still

      "And if they are?" Xavier asked.

      Logan looked out the window again, frowning deeply in though and

      "Then they won't be for long."

      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713
      *work in progress*