FIC: X-Book 4: Of Politics..., PG-13, Chpt 9

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2004
      X-Book 4 -- Of Politics, Tacos and Other Things that Give You
      Indegestion

      Chapter Nine: King of Hearts?

      By: Kath713/Leen713
      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover (with anything I can squeeze in), SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      ***

      Chapter Nine:

      As the last light faded from the evening sky, Remy sat on the stone
      railing encircling one of the second floor balconies smoking a
      cigarette. He was holding his thinning deck of cards, but was not
      shuffling. Instead, he was tossing them, one at a time, out into
      the yard. He supposed when he ran out, he would go down and gather
      them up again, if only so he could come back to this same balcony
      and repeat the action again.

      Remy never knew it was humanly possible to be this bored.

      Well, I am a mutant, he thought, I'm "super human" now, no? We can
      achieve greater levels of boredom than normal people...

      He looked at his next card curiously, and wondered how many
      explosions he could cause before the angry weather goddess came up
      to scold him.

      Suddenly, from somewhere below, Remy heard the unmistakable sound of
      female mischief...giggling. He frowned and ducked down into the
      shadows as the three figures appeared on the grassy lawn.

      "Oh, come on," a voice pleaded, "Just a few details?"

      "Yeah," a second voice agreed, "You owe us that much..."

      When the third voice laughed, Remy recognized it immediately.

      "Owe you?" Rogue said, "What do you mean `owe you'?"

      Remy leaned over the edge of the balcony slightly to get a look at
      the three girls. Rogue was standing and grinning at her two friends
      with amusement. Remy could see that one of the other girls was
      wearing a long yellow coat, which he immediately recognized as
      belonging to Jubilee. He guessed the other girl must be Kitty Pryde.

      "Oh, please," Jubilee replied with annoyance, "We have to listen to
      every little detail about you and Bobby..."

      "Only after interrogations like this," Rogue said with another laugh.

      "And," Kitty said, continuing Jubilee's point, "You won't give us a
      single hint about new Mr. Mysterious."

      "I think the mystery is..." Rogue said, "That there's really nothing
      mysterious about him."

      Still listening secretly above them, Remy frowned. Mr. Mysterious?
      Now, who could les trois femmes be discussing?

      "Oh, really?" Kitty said, doubtfully, "And how many conversations
      have you actually had with him, huh?"

      Rogue grinned and shook her head, "Not many, I admit, but...it's not
      like there's that much to him..."

      "Oh, no?" Jubilee asked with a smirk, "I think I've gotta disagree
      with you. There seems like there might be a lot..."

      "Shh..." both Kitty and Rogue said to their friend with a laugh.

      "For God's sake, Jubes, there're kids around here..." Kitty
      said, "But, seriously, Rogue, you really don't think he's the least
      bit interesting?"

      Rogue shrugged, "I don't know. It's not like he's got some unknown
      forgotten past like Logan..."

      Both of her friends rolled their eyes.

      "We're not talkin' about Logan tonight, girl," Jubilee said.

      "Totally," Kitty agreed, "Or that's all we'll be talking about..."

      "All right," Rogue said, "Fine...what do you want to know? I'm on
      my way to watch a movie with Bobby, so all of my answers are gonna
      be short answers..."

      Remy, listening with the skill of a thief, leaned further out over
      the railing.

      Jubilee gave Rogue a measuring look, and decided to start with an
      easy question. An effective interrogation took patience.

      "How has he been doing in the Danger Room?" she asked and folded her
      arms.

      Rogue was standing directly under one wall-mounted light as her
      friends lingered in the shadows. Remy grinned with amusement as
      they began to play good cop/bad cop.

      "Fine...better than he was..." Rogue answered honestly, "That's why
      the Professor let him go with us to..."

      "We'll come to that in a second," Kitty said with a wave of her
      hand, "Now, how has he been looking in the Danger Room?"

      Rogue laughed, "Fine...black uniformed, like all of us."

      "Uh huh," Jubilee said, "And in the few times you've spoken with
      him...what did you talk about?"

      Rogue thought a moment.

      "Chemistry," she said with a shrug.

      "Oh, Rogue, how boring," Kitty said and then added in `bad cop'
      fashion, "What kind of chemistry?"

      "For Dr. McCoy's class..." Rogue said.

      Kitty nodded, "So the boring kind...I knew it."

      Jubilee also nodded, and then continued, "And on your most recent
      adventure, what was it like to be saved by him?"

      "I wasn't saved by him..." Rogue said, "He just..."

      "But he did carry you to safety?" Kitty asked with a strange
      sweeping gesture.

      "I guess," Rogue said with a shrug, "I was pretty much out cold
      when..."

      "But you do admit he played a crucial role in the rescuing, right?"
      Jubilee asked.

      "Sure..." Rogue surrendered, "Whatever you say..."

      "And...you do admit he is hot, right?" Kitty asked, and Rogue
      laughed again.

      Remy was now leaning dangerously far over the edge of the balcony,
      supporting himself with one hand on the roof and the other hugging
      the railing.

      "Kitty...," Rogue said but her friend pointed a comical finger at
      her.

      "Admit it!" Kitty demanded, looking quite serious.

      "We won't take `no' for an answer..." Jubilee added with a wicked
      grin.

      Rogue shook her head. Remy could see her white streaks moving over
      her darker hair.

      "Well, I guess..." Rogue began, "In a way...he is...kind
      of...cute..."

      "Ha!" Kitty and Jubilee announced at once.

      Their sudden shout made Remy start with surprise...and, of course,
      he lost his grip on the roof. He began to topple over the railing
      and held onto one stone pillar desperately. He could only watch in
      horror as his remaining cards began to shower down toward the ground.

      Kitty blinked with surprise as a playing card landed on her head.
      She plucked it off and stared down at the King of Hearts with
      confusion.

      "What the f..." she began, but was cut off as Jubilee yanked her to
      the side. A pair of booted legs swung down from above them.

      Remy was clinging to the upper balcony and heard Kitty's surprised
      yelp.

      Merde... he thought, This is perfect...perfect end to a perfect
      life...

      "Um...Remy?" Rogue asked, taking a few steps toward the dangling
      Cajun.

      "I'm fine," he called to them, "Everything's under control...I just
      dropped some of my..."

      With a few foreign profanities, Remy lost his grip and fell to the
      ground. Rogue jumped backward as he hit the grassy
      area...hard...with his head.

      The girls watched with dumb shock for a moment, until the Cajun
      struggled comically to his feet.

      "I'm fine..." he repeated, "I'm fine...sorry to frighting...um, I
      mean, pardon my variable rudeness..."

      The three girls could only stare at Remy as he stammered. He looked
      shaky on his feet, and he pointed to the scattered cards around him.

      "I just...lost my cards," he said and fell to the ground again. He
      was still conscious, but looked a little dazed.

      When Remy stared up at them, he blinked slowly several times. His
      vision was tripled and swimmy from the fall.

      "I didn't know Jamie had sisters," he mumbled through his daze, "I'm
      suddenly surrounded by three pairs of beautiful triplets..."

      Kitty and Jubilee laughed. They walked over and helped Remy to his
      feet. Rogue sighed and shook her head.

      My hero, she thought with a smile.

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713