FIC: X-Book 4: Of Politics... , PG-13, Prologue

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 1:09 PM
      X-Book 4 -- Of Politics, Tacos and Other Things that Give You
      Indegestion: Prologue

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover (with anything I can squeeze in), SPOILERS FOR X2

      enemy, and she must decide whether or not to warn the X-Men of their
      possible future. At the same time, the Malloy twins have been taken
      from the rubble of Stryker's base by Magneto, but the Brotherhood
      may find there is more to this family than they expected.

      (Basically, a wrap-up of the first three books. A little back
      history, and little insight into the future, and plenty of spicy
      food for everyone.)

      story.

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      ***

      Book 4:
      Prologue:

      The President of the United States sat behind his desk in the Oval
      Office and scribbled quickly into the day planner in front of him.
      He supposed there was no real reason to have it. He had dozens of
      people around him all the time constantly reminding him of his daily
      schedule, but it was a habit he started in college and one that had
      stuck with him for his entire political career.

      And days like today were his primary motivator in continuing the
      practice.

      For remembering meetings the general staff did not necessarily know
      about.

      George McKenna sighed and slumped back in his chair. Eight months
      ago, he had made the most important address of his career to an
      anxious nation. The original plan had been to blame mutants,
      prepare for the reinstitution of the Mutant Registration Act.

      Yet, after his brief, surprise meeting with Charles Xavier and his X-
      Men, McKenna ignored the teleprompter and instead gave a rousing
      speech on unity and cooperation in discovering the cause of the
      attacks. He laid no blame, and could not truthfully have done so.
      The source of the attacks had never been identified, which his
      critics frequently reminded the public.

      Following his later, more private, conversations with Charles
      Xavier, McKenna did believe the man's ultimate goal was peace.
      However, he also suspected Xavier's interaction with William Stryker
      had played a part in the global attacks. He had, after all, given
      Stryker permission to assume control of Xavier's school.

      McKenna hated to think that he, the President of the United States,
      had set those events into play.

      The intercom on his phone buzzed and the familiar voice of his
      secretary spoke.

      "Excuse me, sir?," she said. Jackie sounded rather irritated, and
      her tone made McKenna smile with amusement.

      "Yes, Jackie," he responded and the intercom buzzed again.

      "There's a Captain Flannery here to see you," Jackie said, "Were you
      expecting him?"

      Unfortunately, McKenna thought and took a deep breath before
      responding.

      "Yes, thank you, please send him in," he replied and rubbed his
      temple with a sigh.

      The office door opened and a solitary man in military garb marched
      up before him. The Captain looked tired, but remained at full
      attention until McKenna offered him a seat. Captain Flannery sat
      rigidly, removing his hat and placing it in his lap.

      McKenna folded his hands on his desk and regarded the Captain
      gravely.

      "I trust you have a full report from Chicago for me," he asked and
      Flannery nodded.

      "Yes, sir," he said, opening the folder he had under his arm and
      passing several papers across the President's desk.

      "As you can see," Flannery began, "There are photos, as well as
      reports, from a neighborhood just outside of city. Eyewitness
      reports told of several disturbances, including a wave of fire,
      disruption to magnetic devices and...well, a..."

      "A `giant killer robot,'" the President continued with dismay,
      reading from the papers before him, "Which destroyed one home
      entirely, before lifting into the air and speeding off into the
      night..."

      McKenna looked up at the man slowly, his face washed with no-so-
      disbelieving disbelief.

      "Don't tell me the press has gotten a hold of this," he said without
      humor and the Captain sighed audibly.

      "Well..." he said, pulling a piece of newsprint from the
      folder, "Just the World Weekly News. Apparently, most witnesses
      called in the event as a UFO sighting."

      The President still looked serious, but inwardly was relieved. The
      front cover of the `newspaper' showed robots from a bad 1950s horror
      movie attacking the Sears Tower while pedestrians ran off in fear.

      Thank God for the tabloids, he thought.

      "So..." he said, "I assume we have an explanation that doesn't
      involve Martian invaders."

      "Well, there are still those who believe a mutant terrorist group
      was involved," the Captain said, and this time McKenna actually did
      laugh.

      "I seriously doubt mutant terrorists would be using robot UFOs to
      attack a single home in Illinois," the President said, cynically.

      "As do most of our analysts..." the Captain said, and McKenna raised
      a curious eyebrow when the man said `most,' "However, there was
      another event last night which may be connected to the Chicago
      incident."

      "The explosion in West Virginia," the President said without
      question and the Captain nodded.

      "Yes, sir," he continued, "Special ops forces located a rogue band
      of mercenaries retreating from the blast area. They claimed to be
      U.S. soldiers returning from Chicago to their home base. However,
      they were not currently enlisted men and claimed they were under the
      command of a...General Stryker, who does not exist in any..."

      "Who?" McKenna said with surprise.

      The Captain checked his notes again and reread the name, "A General
      Stryker, sir."

      "General Stryker?" McKenna repeated and the Captain frowned at him.

      "You don't think they mean William Stryker, do you, sir?"

      McKenna sat back and shook his head slowly, "It couldn't
      be...Colonel William Stryker died eight months ago when his lab at
      Alkalai Lake was destroyed. The dam broke...dozens of men were
      killed..."

      His voice was becoming soft as he continued, and his right hand
      absently tapped the place on his desk blotter that covered the small
      cut mark in the wooden finish below.

      "I'm sorry, sir," the Captain said, "I...I don't know the details
      beyond that. The men we found also claimed they saw their leader,
      that General Stryker, killed by unknown assailants before they fled
      the explosion."

      McKenna relaxed visibly, and the Captain regarded his commander-in-
      chief curiously.

      I have to call Xavier, was the next thought that passed through the
      President's mind. He quickly composed himself and returned the
      photos and papers to the Captain.

      "Very well..." he said slowly, "Have the mercenaries and
      eyewitnesses questioned and prepare a full report. Luckily, the
      media is saying the explosion was a disruption of a central gas line
      passing through the area. I, however, would like to know the true
      cause of that `accident.' If, by chance, terrorists are involved, I
      want to know who they are, mutant or not."

      "Yes, sir," the Captain said, and then shifted
      nervously, "What...what about the reports from Chicago, sir?"

      McKenna shrugged and grinned, "Let's support the UFO theory until we
      figure out what really happened. It will give the `unexplained
      phenomena' department of the FBI something else to do besides
      investigate mutants..."

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/leen713
      **work in progress**