FIC: X-Book 3: Within the Storm, PG-13, Chpt 14

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2004
      Title: X-Book 3: Within the Storm - Chapter Fourteen: X-Men vs. the
      Brotherhood, part III

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover, SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      ***

      Chapter Fourteen:

      Gambit was more than a few steps in front of Rebecca, when
      Nightcrawler and Toad suddenly crashed down the hall. He skidded to
      a halt as each scaled the walls in different directions.

      "Kurt!" he called with surprise. Nightcrawler spotted him
      and disappeared. A moment later, he was at Gambit's side.

      "Guten tach, Remy," Nightcrawler said with a grin, looking
      exhausted from the battle, "I am very glad to have found you
      here."

      "Likewise, ami," Gambit agreed. Toad leapt down from the
      ceiling toward them, pausing as he noticed the other X-Man. Gambit
      spotted him and frowned.

      "Toad?" he asked, "What's going on?"

      The green mutant did not reply. With a few quick steps, Pyro was at
      his side.

      "That's the one who attacked me…" Nightcrawler said
      darkly.

      Pyro snapped his lighter and grinned. Gambit took a card from his
      pocket with one hand and held up the other defensively.

      "Why are you doing this?" he asked, "Fighting? That's
      fucking stupid, ami, we're trying to get out of here…"

      "I told you," Toad said, "I'm not your ally. You
      know this guy, Pyro?"

      Pyro shook his head and grinned, "Never seen him before. None of
      them are friends of mine anymore."

      Toad smirked at the boy and then his expression turned vicious as he
      looked at his enemies again. Pyro held a ball of fire in one hand
      and leveled it at Gambit. The Cajun sighed and began charging the
      card in his hand. The stand off endured for a few more moments, and
      then the flames flew from Pyro's hand.

      Gambit tossed a playing card in the direction of the Brotherhood.
      At the same time, Toad lunged at Nightcrawler again, scaling the
      ceiling above the flames. Before he could reach his target, the
      path of the fire changed and Toad was forced to leap back.

      Pyro blinked in shock as the flames were torn from his control. The
      playing card from Gambit exploded, but the blast hung suspended over
      the group. The fire separated and squared off the four fighters
      from reaching each other.

      Rebecca stood with her hands clenched at her sides. She had
      listened to their conversation as she ran up and felt the fire
      released from Pyro's lighter. Luckily, she had more experience
      and more control over the element than the younger mutant.

      Toad was still above them and turned to glare at the figure beyond
      the flames.

      The fire folded and moved toward her obediently, the heat
      dissipating as it flowed away. It seemed to absorb into her skin,
      an orange light glowing around her body and a blue flame burning in
      her eyes, flashes of anger.

      Gambit looked relieved, but a little unnerved. Pyro was gaping at
      her as the orange light faded and Nightcrawler took a step back.
      Rebecca was inhaling deeply as she looked at them, and the quiet
      fury faded. As she watched them stare at her, she sighed and looked
      apologetic. It was a normal reaction, that touch of fear.

      "Your timing is perfect, chere," Gambit said with a nervous
      laugh.

      Rebecca smiled reassuringly, and then jumped in surprise as Toad
      landed next to her. He glared down at her again. She folded her
      arms and looked smug. He was angry at her interference, and exhaled
      with frustration.

      Toad looked back at Pyro, "Where's Magneto?"

      Pyro shrugged, "We separated. We were gonna meet him at the
      entrance in a little while…"

      "Right," Toad said.

      He made to grab Rebecca's arm again, but paused. Rebecca raised
      a cynical eyebrow and Toad sighed with disgust.

      "Let's go…" he growled, but Gambit stepped in front of
      him.

      "Suddenly we're supposed to follow you again…" he said
      angrily, "I don't think so…"

      "You gonna try to stop me?" Toad challenged and Rebecca
      sighed audibly.

      "Alright...done. Shut up, both of you," she said, "I
      really lost interest in this whole...X-Men...Brotherhood...thing
      hours ago."

      She looked at Toad, calmly without anger. Toad shifted but
      continued to glare.

      "Look…you got us this far," she said, and then glanced at
      Gambit, "Right? We found your friends."

      Gambit nodded reluctantly. Nightcrawler was regarding them
      curiously.

      "Ok," she said looking back at Toad, "Get us out.
      I'll follow you. Just cut the shit."

      Toad ground his teeth, and did not respond. He walked forward and
      moved next to Pyro.

      "Where's the entrance?" he asked.

      "Back that way," Pyro replied, pointing in the direction of
      the battle. Toad directed him to start walking. From behind, he
      could hear Rebecca and the two X-Men following them.

      Rebecca sighed again, and Gambit chuckled.

      "Bet you didn't think you'd be doing this when you got up
      this morning."

      Rebecca grinned, "Well, people break into my house, start a
      battle in my living room, I'm kidnapped by a giant killer robot
      and now I'm walking through some secret, scary underground base
      in my
      pajamas…"

      "Typical Tuesday night, eh?" Gambit asked with a grin.

      "You have no idea…" she replied and shook her head as they
      walked on.

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713