FIC: X-Book 3: Within the Storm, PG-13, Chpt 7

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2004
      Title: X-Book 3: Within the Storm - Chapter Seven: Outside the Hanger

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover, SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      Reviews: Any feedback would be great and is appreciated!

      ***

      Chapter Seven:

      Rogue carefully lowered the small aircraft next to the larger X-Jet
      and it landed evenly on the ground with a dull thud. Mary exhaled
      shakily, but considered the entire trip a success. She had not
      needed to use the little conspicuous paper bags on the side of her
      chair, although she still was very glad to be on the ground again.

      Professor Xavier moved toward the lowering ramp and looked pleased
      at their unexpected arrival. Rogue marched out onto the ground
      first, and stopped by Xavier with concern.

      "Rogue...Mary..." Xavier said with a greeting tone, "I
      didn't expect you to follow us. Is there a problem at the
      mansion?"

      Rogue shook her head and looked worried up at the open hanger door.

      "They've already gone inside?" she asked quickly.

      Xavier nodded, "Logan, Cyclops and Nightcrawler have gone to find
      the prisoners taken by the Sentinel..."

      With the last word, the Professor made a motion with his hand toward
      the open door. Just within, Rogue could just see the strange inert
      craft sitting in the shadows.

      "Magneto is here also...hopefully with the same intention of
      finding and freeing those who were taken," Xavier continued. The
      young man standing further away from them shifted angrily.

      "He better have the same intentions..." Sid muttered, his
      arms folded in frustration.

      "I don't know if that's a good idea, Professor,"
      Rogue said anxiously, and then glanced at Mary to explain. Xavier
      met Mary's gaze and felt her fear.

      "What did you see?" he asked and Mary shook her head.

      "Nothing new..." she said, "But I think what I saw
      earlier...I think I misinterpreted it."

      "How so?" Xavier asked frowning.

      "Two men, Professor," she said firmly, "There were two
      men spoken of. One was Magneto...I'm sure of that. But the
      other...was a general...and he is the danger. Magneto did not
      intend to harm anyone today but the general intends to harm
      him...and anyone else around him."

      Xavier frowned in confusion, "A general? Perhaps the commander
      of this base..."

      Stryker...the though passed through Rogue's mind loud enough for
      the Professor to sense. He looked at her intently, and sent a
      message back, No...I cannot be...

      "However," he continued aloud, "I did sense a very angry
      mind in the compound. Mutants have more enemies that just the late
      William Stryker."

      "Well, whoever it is..." Mary said, "He's brought
      Magneto here on purpose. But...there's another reason for the
      Sentinel...but I don't know what..."

      Mary sighed in frustration, and shook her head.

      "I just don't know..." she said and Xavier looked
      sympathetically at her. He understood her aggravation in this
      situation. He was still unable to sense anyone else below except
      the X-Men and Brotherhood members. Speculation was all they had
      now, until the true explanation presented itself.

      Around them, the air was growing colder and small snowflakes began
      to fall.

      Xavier looked up at the white sky with odd anxiety.

      "There may be any number of reasons why the machine was made to
      gather mutants..." Xavier said, "For registration of what
      they can do, since the government has not officially passed the law
      yet. For identification of mutants who may be a danger to society.
      For..."

      "For experimentation..." Sid finished for him, and then added
      bitterly, "Don't forget that one..."

      A memory passed through Sid's mind, but was repressed before
      Xavier could understand it completely.

      "Yes..." Xavier agreed, "All the more reason to get them
      out quickly..."

      "Which is why I should be in there with them," Sid pressed,
      and Rogue stepped toward him.

      "If Logan's inside..." she said firmly, "He'll
      find them. He's been in these types of places before..."

      "And what makes you think I haven't?" Sid asked, and
      Rogue paused in surprise. Quickly, the misdirected anger faded from
      Sid's face and he looked at her apologetically.

      "I'm sorry..." he said, "I know you guys are X-Men or
      X-Women or whatever. This is your game now, so I'll play..."

      "This isn't a game," Rogue said angrily and Sid gave her
      a strange grin.

      "Of course it is," he replied, "It's all a game.
      Catch the mutants...save the mutants...right? I've played it
      before..."

      Xavier regarded him intently. It was strange to listen to the young
      man's mind. It was as if there was more than one person speaking
      at one time. Each emotion brought out a different internal voice,
      some argumentative, some pacifying. Xavier wondered if it would be
      difficult to get a mental hold on Sid Malloy, should the need arise.

      Rogue glared at Sid for another moment before turning to Mary again.

      "It'll come to you, if there's a danger," Rogue
      reassured her, "It has before, I'm sure I would again."

      Mary nodded with a smile, and Sid looked away from them with
      embarrassment. He did not mean to be so harsh but he was just so
      fucking frustrated. He looked back at the two young women and
      noticed Mary shiver.

      "You're a seer?" he asked.

      Mary nodded and smiled. Somehow hearing her power explained so
      simply made her feel better. She saw things...past, present,
      future, whatever....she just saw and that was it. Everyone sees,
      she just sees a little more...

      "Can't see too much right now though," Mary replied and
      Sid chuckled. He looked at her as she rubbed her hands together for
      warmth and gestured toward the X-Jet.

      "They've got spare jackets in there if you need one," he
      said, and then motioned to his own tattered suit coat, "I would
      offer mine, but it was a little...damaged."

      Mary frowned as she noticed the small circular holes scattered
      across his chest.

      "What happened?" she asked and he shrugged.

      "Your general's troops took a few shots at me," Sid
      replied, and then grinned, "I didn't see that coming, so if
      you get
      the sense it might happen again...let me know."

      Mary laughed, "No problem."

      Sid suddenly frowned again and turned back to face the hanger
      quickly.

      Xavier also sensed a change below, mutants somewhere below had begun
      using their powers. After a moment, they heard Sid speak aloud.

      "Rebecca's awake..."

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713