ADMIN: Email threats from "Fox."

  • Devil Doll
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2004
      Last week, several members of this list, including myself, received an
      email from a "Debra" at 20th Century Fox. A total of ten people
      received the same email I did, not including Gina DeMarco (
      http://www.loganandmarie.com ), Karen (
      http://www.postcardsfromtheedge.org ), and Autumn (
      http://www.autumnpenguins.com ), who were also copied in on the
      message.

      The email reads as follows:

      All,

      There have been many slanderous remarks made about our employee Gina
      DeMarco authored by yourselves. We would appreciate in the future that
      you refrain from posting or making any reference to her in a public
      manner. She is an employee of 20th Century Fox Studios and we take
      these slanderous remarks seriously.

      Also refrain from making any derogatory comments about Karen [last name
      removed to protect privacy. This is a reference to the same Karen who
      received a copy of the email] as she is an affiliate of Bad Hat Harry
      Productions, which is a part of 20th Century Fox.

      Let it be known that refusal to comply with our request will not only
      result in closure of your websites but also a lawsuit against you for
      trademark infringement and slander. Fox traditionally appreciates its
      fans but will protect our employees from them as well.

      I hope I have made myself clear.

      Sincerely,
      Debra [last name removed]
      Sr. Counsel
      20th Century Fox Studios

      ~*~

      On February 17th, I spoke with the Executive Director of Human
      Resources at 20th Century Fox regarding this and similar threats made
      against fans by and for Gina and Karen.

      I was told the above email is completely fraudulent and in no way
      authorized by anyone at Fox with the power to make such statements. In
      addition, I was told that Gina and Karen have absolutely no connection
      at all to 20th Century Fox, and any claims to the contrary, or claims
      of enjoying Fox's legal protection, are fraudulent.

      If you have received any emails from Debra, Gina, or Karen claiming
      that you could be subject to legal action by 20th Century Fox, you can
      ignore any such statements. They are a misrepresentation of Fox, and
      are not to be taken seriously.

      Fox is investigating this situation and is collecting information
      regarding these claims. If you have received any emails from Debra,
      Gina, or Karen implying that Gina and/or Karen are affiliated with or
      protected by 20th Century Fox in any way, please contact me and I will
      tell you who to contact at Fox. Fox asks that you not reply to the
      "Debra" email address.

      This is obviously a very serious situation, and one that Fox is not
      taking lightly. Several members of the Super Hero Hype message boards
      received similar emails, and the owner of SHH is also cooperating fully
      with Fox. You can read his statement on the matter here:

      http://www.superherohype.com/forums/announcement.php?s=&forumid=198

      Please feel free to contact me offlist if you have any questions about
      this situation.

      Devil Doll

      =====
      Devil Doll