FIC: X-Book 2 Shadows and Steel, PG-13, Chpt 24

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2004
      Title: X-Book 2: Shadows and Steel - Chapter 24: Shattered

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover, SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      ***

      Chapter Twenty-Four

      Cyclops glanced around at the approaching force and called out to
      Sid again.

      "Jump down," he cried, "We have to get out of here!"

      Sid turned and looked down at him. His eyes were blazing with
      fury. Had Cyclops seen Rebecca in the house earlier before the
      first explosion, he would have known she and this man were kin.

      "I can't!" he shouted, "You don't understand!
      They have my sist…"

      Sid's words were cut off as a barrage of bullets littered his
      chest. He choked as blood bubbled into his throat and fell
      backwards onto the ground. Cyclops knelt next to him and Sid began
      reaching towards the ruined cars… towards the broken glass…

      Cyclops looked up at the troops in a sudden rage. They kill…why
      do they always kill? Jean had died because of people like this;
      hateful, pointless prejudice that only murdered and kept murdering.
      Cyclops stood and reached for his visor, he turned the beam to its
      highest setting and prepared to fire on the approaching men.

      ***

      Wolverine walked toward the helicopter and Magneto smiled at him
      viciously.

      "Welcome back to the war, soldier," he said condescendingly
      and Wolverine growled.

      "You caused this," he spat, "Not them this time. You.
      Luckily, we got a little girl now who can tell us what Xavier
      can't
      pull from your mind."

      Magneto stared at him with insulting pity, though noted his words
      thoughtfully.

      "Now, now, my boy," he chided, "I did not construct the
      monster before you. But…rest assured…I'll find out who
      did. And
      then these toys will be a thing of the past…"

      Wolverine leveled his claws at him, "You're not goin'
      anywhere, bub."

      Magneto sighed with boredom and held one hand toward the growling
      man.

      "Really, Wolverine," he said, "How do you plan to stop
      us?"

      Wolverine froze in place as Magneto took control of his adamantium
      skeleton and, strangely, the X-Man did not struggle.

      Magneto frowned curiously, and then spoke aloud.

      "Mystique, prepare for departure."

      There was no answer, and he frowned. Looking back, he saw
      Mystique's cold yellow eyes staring forward, at Logan. She did
      not move, even as he said her name again.

      On the other side of the aircraft, Sabertooth also sat in perfect
      stillness, the sneer frozen on his face. All around Magneto, the
      world fell silent, except for the whirring blades of the helicopter
      and the steady steps of the Sentinel.

      He lowered the hand pointed at Wolverine and stepped off the
      aircraft. Every living person around him had been stopped in their
      tracks, and he heard a new sound approaching.

      "Charles…" he said and gazed upward as another small craft
      lowered from the sky. In the front windows, he could see the pale
      face of Rogue staring out at him angrily. The expression was
      similar to Logan's, a little of the Wolverine left over inside of
      her.

      There was a burst of air, and a soft sound.

      *Bamf*

      In a cloud of blue smoke, Xavier and Nightcrawler appeared before
      him.

      The Sentinel took another step and Magneto smiled.

      "Hello, old friend," Xavier said without good humor,
      "This ends now."

      The Sentinel took another step and Magneto shook his head.

      "No, I don't think so," he replied, and pointed to the
      sky, "Look up, Charles. This is what they'll use next time
      they
      attack your school. It has already gathered three, one of yours,
      one of mine, and an innocent. Remember Stryker's plans, his
      ultimate work, and know he was not the only one with such goals."

      Without another word, Magneto spun and leapt aboard the helicopter.
      Nightcrawler glanced down toward the Professor.

      "I could stop him, if you would like," he said softly and
      Xavier shook his head.

      "No," he said sadly, and then glanced at the bleeding man at
      Cyclops's feet, "I'm afraid we have more dire needs at
      the moment."

      The helicopter lifted to the air, just as the Sentinel swiped on
      large fist toward it. It missed and gazed upward as Magneto flew
      away. Charles looked up at the machine with eerie calmness. He had
      no control over this device, and it began to march away slowly,
      passing the still soldiers and ignoring the other mutants. Its task
      was complete…for now and it was heading back to its creator.

      Xavier released the other X-Men from his hold and Wolverine stumbled
      forward in confusion. He straightened his shoulders as he noticed
      the immobile troops and glanced back at the Professor with
      annoyance.

      "I hate when you do that," he said and marched to his
      companions.

      ***

      Cyclops stood over the wounded mutant and examined the bullet impact
      sights gravely. The pool of blood on the grass was spreading
      rapidly and he doubted the man would live.

      Sid tried to speak, reaching for the broken glass feebly. He
      mouthed the word but Cyclops did not understand.

      Glass… he thought loudly, I need glass…GIVE ME GLASS!

      I hear you, a voice rang in Sid's head, Don't be afraid.

      "Scott," Xavier's voice called, "Bring him here."

      "Professor, he's wounded, we can't move him," Cyclops
      replied, but Xavier shook his head.

      "Trust me."

      Cyclops put his hands underneath Sid's shoulders and pulled him
      closer to the ruined pile of automobiles. To his surprise, tinkling
      pieces of broken glass began to move toward the bleeding mutant.

      Sid closed his eyes as the glass filled his wounds and felt the
      microscopic particles forming with his own, making new skin…new
      blood.

      After few moments, Sid opened his eyes and looked up at the upside
      down blue face of Nightcrawler, who was smiling happily.

      "He is alive!" he exclaimed and Sid began to sit up slowly.
      The molecules of the glass were still being changed into living
      cells, but he did not have time to wait for his body to heal.

      "My…I…" he coughed and Xavier looked at him sternly.

      Speak in your mind, he sent and Sid nodded.

      It took my sister, and two others, we have to stop it, Sid sent back.

      Xavier looked toward the machine as it moved away, and frowned
      deeply. This new devilry was not created from Stryker's work
      alone. There was something else…

      Mary had said they had to fear the General. Could Stryker have
      lived? That's what Magneto was going to find out…

      Suddenly, the machine began to fold in on itself and once again
      became a hovering disk, and disappeared into the night sky.

      "Ready the jet, Scott," Xavier said, "Kurt and I will go
      with you and Logan. Rogue can take the wounded back to the
      mansion. We will track the path of that device and find out where
      it came from."

      Sid struggled to his feet, "I'm coming with you then…"

      Xavier turned to the mutant, "I think you should see our
      doctor…"

      He paused as Sid reached toward one cracked windshield; the glass
      streaming into his body threw the holes in his suit. After another
      moment, he stood firmly and his hard blue eyes were filled with rage.

      "I don't need a doctor," he said darkly, and Xavier
      regarded him silently.

      Sid smiled charmingly, a practiced skill but his eyes did not
      change, "Either I go with you… or I go on my own. We'll
      race…it'll be fun…"

      There was a tremble in Sid's voice, and Xavier heard a strange
      ferocity there that did not seem to go along with his otherwise
      debonair appearance. Something of the fury he saw, something just a
      little mad…

      "Fine," the Professor said, "I'm Charles Xavier."

      "I know…" Sid said arrogantly, "I'm
      Sid…let's go…"

      Storming past the others, Sid headed toward the small jet quickly.

      Logan glanced at Xavier and laughed, "Ok, then."

      The X-Men headed off in separate directions, one team returning to
      the mansion, the others following Magneto, and the Sentinel.

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713