FIC: X-Book 2 Shadows and Steel, PG-13, Chpt 16

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2004
      Title: X-Book 2: Shadows and Steel - Chapter 16: The Guests Will Be
      Arriving Shortly

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover, SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      ***
      Author's note: Need to read X-Book Prologue in order to
      understand the second part of this chapter since it is slightly
      different from the end of X2. I know I've thrown a lot out there
      (a
      lot of details which won't be addressed right away) and I hope it
      doesn't become too confusing. PS- Feedback welcome!
      ***

      Chapter Sixteen:

      "What the hell was that?" Cyclops said as a bright fiery
      light shone at the edge of the dark city.

      Cyclops was seated in the co-pilot's chair of the X-Jet, Storm to
      his right, while Wolverine, Gambit and Iceman sat behind them. They
      had just been approaching the Chicago city limits, flying silent and
      low to avoid local radar.

      Storm frowned and looked out towards the horizon. From behind her,
      Wolverine stood and leaned forward to peer out the large front
      window himself.

      "Looked like a small explosion," she replied, "There must
      be a building fire somewhere."

      The orange glow faded and the skyline once again shone only with the
      twinkling lights of the metropolitan area. Wolverine narrowed his
      eyes, and glanced at Storm.

      "The Professor send us any coordinates yet?" he asked, and
      she nodded.

      "We're heading for a northern residential area," she said.

      "The same direction as that blast," Cyclops replied.

      Wolverine gave him a dark look, "I have a feeling we're a
      little late to the party."

      ***

      "Sir?" the soldier said quietly to the man behind the desk
      and waited at attention for a reply.

      Below several hundred feet of solid rock, General William Stryker
      sat in a small dark room, lined with glass windows overlooking a
      vast hanger filled with waiting machines.

      The General did not seem to notice the young Major, he was reading a
      document in his hand intently, a small crease of concentration on
      his brow. On his face, several round scars marred his skin. They
      had been caused by frostbite, given to him by an icy chain that had
      once been tightly drawn around his body in the cold wastes of
      Alkalai Lake.

      By all rights (and by all measures of justice), he should have been
      dead, his body left to eternally rot below the torrent from the
      demolished dam. However, someone had been watching over him that
      day, someone had protected him from the flood, so that he could
      continue his work. For the stranger, the dark man in the
      wilderness, had seen the purpose of Stryker's work, the
      importance of annihilating mutants from the face of the earth.

      And, that dark man had given Stryker all he needed to accomplish his
      goals, for a price that had not yet been presented.

      Whatever the stranger wanted, Stryker intended to pay the debt, no
      matter the cost.

      "Sir?" the soldier said again, more as a question, unsure if
      the General had heard him.

      Stryker held up a waiting hand, and finished reading the last
      paragraph before looking up at the Major and smiling. It was not a
      pleasant expression, and the soldier suppressed the urge to wince
      under the other man's gaze.

      "How can I help you, Major?" he asked, his voice oddly
      friendly. After all, this was one of his own, one of his soldiers, a
      good, wholesome, normal American citizen, serving his
      country...serving Stryker.

      "I just wanted to inform you that recon has identified possible
      aberrant mutant activity in Chicago," the Major reported, and
      Stryker quickly interrupted him.

      "All mutant activity is aberrant, Major," he said, placing
      the document on his desk and slamming his palm down on it, "That
      what they are...aberrant, abnormal...wrong. You understand that,
      don't you?"

      The Major looked straight-ahead and nodded, "Of course, sir.
      Sorry, sir."

      "So, tell me," Stryker said, "What activity has recon
      detected that they found unusually abnormal?"

      "There has been the report of a small explosion in the northern
      part of the city," the Major explained, "Residents of the area
      described it was a wave of flame, brief and controlled. Your orders
      stated that any unusual fires in that area were to be reported
      immediately..."

      "I know what my orders were, Major," he snapped. His
      expression had faded from the mock friendly smile to a dark
      purposeful frown.

      "Contact recon," Stryker said, "I want to know exactly
      why they think this fire was caused by a mutant..."

      "That's why they reported in so quickly, Sir," the
      soldier interrupted, and Stryker shot him a vicious glare, "They
      also
      have positively identified the mutant Magneto in the vicinity."

      Stryker stood quickly and leaned against his desk on his
      fists, "They're...sure?"

      "Yes, sir," the Major said, "The plastic tracking implant
      from his prior incarceration is still functional, apparently he has
      not discovered it in the time since his escap..."

      "That would be the obvious conclusion, Major," Stryker said.
      A dangerous anticipation filled his eyes and the soldier took a step
      back at his vicious tone.

      Stryker marched quickly around his desk and out the door. The Major
      took a surprised step out of the General's way and then followed
      him down the hall.

      "Have our people in that area contact the local authorities and
      intercept any approaching police or fire crews," Stryker barked,
      "Then, have them take positions around the location of the fire
      and
      Magneto. It's time to test out our new toys..."

      He said the last sentence with a fierce glee, and the Major paused
      and looked startled. The General could not be talking about the
      Sentinel prototype.

      "But, sir," he said, "That's a highly populated area.
      You aren't thinking of sending those machines right into
      someone's
      backyard."

      Stryker did not hesitate in pace or response.

      "Mutants," he spat, "are in our backyards, soldier!
      They're in our towns, our schools...even in some cases, our own
      homes. And, it's time someone took action against those
      creatures,
      or else it could be your house burning next time! Why do you think
      I've been developing these machines, Major? To contain any
      mutant
      threat to our way of life! I think a mutant trying to burn down a
      residential neighborhood is a threat, don't you?"

      "Yes, sir," the Major agreed, but his face was lined with
      doubt.

      "Good," Stryker said, "Have them prepare the prototype
      for departure. Remember, I want them alive, especially Lensherr.
      But, if they show any threat to our men or any one else, kill them
      on site."

      "Yes, sir," the Major repeated again. He wondered to
      himself, a question he would never dare ask the fervent General, why
      a man who hated mutants so much want them taken alive. The Major
      decided, he would rather not know.

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713