FIC: X-Book 2: Shadows and Steel, PG-13, Chpt 13

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2004
      Title: X-Book 2: Shadows and Steel - Chapter 13: Proceed

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover, SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      ***

      Chapter Thirteen:

      Rebecca Malloy left the library in a rush, hoping to get the armload
      of books to her car before the sky began pouring again. Her mind
      was racing with the information she had gathered today and was
      entirely preoccupied by her studies. Her sense of any lingering
      presence in the shadows did not register any danger, so it was
      ignored.

      She turned on the radio as she drove back to her home, on the
      northern outskirts of the city. The music that suddenly blared from
      the speakers was a mix of loud drums and electronic cords. Rebecca
      grimaced and changed the channel. The second station was playing
      similar music and she clicked away again. After the third station
      only offered more of the same, she gave up on top-forty music and
      found a talk station.

      A pair of late night DJs were debating about the hot topic of the
      moment, which for every major news station for the past few months
      had been the `mutant phenomenon.' Rebecca sighed, bored with
      the constant rhetoric about `dangerous mutants', but decided
      to listen anyway.

      "I just don't see what the big deal is, man," the first
      jockey said loudly, "So what if mutants have to register with the
      government? It's not like they're being completely
      segregated from society. They just have to let them know what kind
      of crazy stuff they can do."

      The second DJ shot back with the counterpoint, "Yeah, but the
      government shouldn't be allowed to force people to be on some
      list just because they're different or can do freaky things.
      Hey, everybody does freaky things, if you know what I mean…"

      Both DJs laughed wickedly, "Not me, man. Maybe you… Ha, but
      the freaky things we do don't risk anybody's life, man. I
      mean, man, I heard there are some mutants that can like, blow shit
      up with their eyes, man."

      "That don't mean there is a bunch of people blowing stuff up
      with their eyes. When's the last time you heard of somebody being
      wasted by eye beams."

      "Yeah, man, but wouldn't you want to know if somebody could
      do that? What if you started something with some guy at a bar and
      he decides to vaporize you? I mean, man, oh, man. It's a
      totally different way to look at life."

      "But, you're talking about they're lives, you know.
      Everybody has a right to their own private life. It's like
      seventy years ago when the Jews had to register who they were with
      the Nazis. I mean, who really gives a crap what religion anyone is.
      It's all love, baby. Mutants are just like a different level of
      that."

      "Yeah, but people who are in a religion are still, like, normal
      people. They can't help which church their parents drag them to
      when their kids."

      "And mutants can't help you they are either. It's like
      being born without an arm or leg, you know. They just have extra
      arms and legs…"

      "And extra eye beams of death, man. Ha, I need some of them in
      studio for pain in the asses like you…"

      "Yeah, yeah, zap this, bitch."

      Both DJs were rolling now and moved off the topic of mutants to
      something more lowbrow so their audience did not get bored. For
      Rebecca, it was too late for their bullshit and she grabbed a disc
      and turned on some music more to her taste before the DJs began
      talking about actresses' breast sizes.

      The mutant phenomenon…that was what they always called it.

      We're a phenomenon, huh? She thought, laughing to herself and
      wondering how the world would react to know about some of the other
      unnatural `phenomena' running around this dear city.

      ***

      Pulling slowly into her driveway, Rebecca sighed audibly, happy to
      be home after such a long day. She idled for a few minutes after
      parking, listening to the last few verses of the song playing in the
      radio and letting herself relax. Finally she turned off the car and
      stepped out.

      Her car was the only one pulled up to the house, so she figured Sid
      and Sebastian were out having actual lives, while she slaved away at
      the library. Rebecca had taken to helping the staff there clean up
      at night, and the routine had been just that until they offered to
      pay her for it. So, what the hell? She practically lived their
      anyway, now they paid her for putting books away for an hour or
      two. A nice, normal, safe job which her apprehensive uncle approved
      of.

      God, she needed to get out more often…

      She stretched after exiting the car, and pulled her hood away from
      her face. The rain seemed to have ended for the night and she
      breathed the night air deeply. She gathered her bags and
      books and headed across the dark lawn toward her house.

      As she walked, she did not notice the pair of watchful eyes peering
      from the rooftop above. Toad sat as still as stone, regarding the
      woman with silent enthusiasm for the task at hand. He almost did
      not believe his eyes when she first exited her vehicle.

      The first thing he noticed was that she was still looked very
      young. The second thing he noticed was how completely contented she
      seemed. Could this really be the same woman from Deathstrike's
      old video?

      A twinge of disappointment hit him. The air of fury so evident on
      tape seemed absent in the person below.

      Toad had planned to meet Sabertooth on the far end of the building
      before the woman reached the front door, but as he tried to move, he
      found he could not take his eyes off her. She moved quickly, almost
      marching, and the braid of her hair bounced lightly against her
      back. Toad felt his chest tighten in anticipation as she paused to
      unlock the door of the dark building, and for one moment her face
      was visible in the light shining from above the door.

      He jumped quickly away, stopping finally at the edge of the roof.
      He peered over at the small deck running along the side of the
      building. Sabertooth was climbing the wall up to where he sat.
      Toad listened to the noises from the building below and heard a door
      snick closed on the second floor. He grinned and leaped down to the
      highest deck silently.

      Sabertooth appeared next to him a moment later and Toad grinned
      wickedly at the large mutant.

      "This is the one," Toad whispered to his compatriot.

      Sabertooth sneered back, and Toad knew that expression was as close
      to a pleased grin as the beast of a man could get.

      "Mystique is waiting below with the boy," Toad said,
      crouching low in the shadows.

      "We won't need them," Sabertooth replied in a low growl.

      "We'll see," Toad whispered back.

      Through the balcony's large glass windows, both mutants saw a dim
      light appear in the dark room. The young woman in the green hood
      appeared in the large second floor den and they watched as she
      deposited her burden on the sofa casually. She did not turn on any
      other lights as she walked through each room toward the back hall.

      Excellent, Toad thought. She seemed relaxed…not expecting
      anything out of the ordinary. A prey surprised and off guard and
      easier to catch.

      The woman reappeared in the den after a few moments. She was no
      longer wearing the long coat, and seemed to now be wearing her
      nightclothes, which were a simple pair of long cotton pants and an
      oversized button down shirt.

      Toad touched his ear piece, "Target is in place."

      "Very well."

      It was Magneto's voice which replied over the communicator and
      Toad grinned as their leader spoke again.

      "Proceed…"

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713