FIC: X-Book 2 Shadows and Steel, PG-13, Chpt 8

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2004
      Title: X-Book 2: Shadows and Steel - Chapter 8: Waiting

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Rating: PG-13 (violence, language)

      Genre: Crossover, SPOILERS FOR X2

      story.

      ***

      Chapter Eight:

      Snap…hiss…

      Pyro flicked his lighter opened and sparked the flame to life. He
      looked at it for a moment, smiling almost tenderly at its glowing
      light, and then snapped it shut again.

      He was moving through the Island compound quickly. Mystique had
      roused him early, with a loud, unfriendly knock on the front door of
      his quarters, to let him know Magneto had called the Brothers
      together. They were going to discuss what was found in Chicago, and
      what the next stage of Magneto's plan was.

      Snap…hiss…

      Pyro repeated the nervous action over again. There was comfort in
      knowing the fire was there, waiting for his command. In his chaotic
      life, that was always the part of it he could control. That was
      what made him special…what made him like a god…

      God of fire, he thought with a measure of arrogance, I should have
      called myself `Mars' or something. But I don't need to
      be a god...I'll settle for sainthood…

      He chuckled at the joke he shared only with himself, and walked on,
      snapping his lighter every now and then for emphasis. His sharp
      black boots tapped along the metal floor, his long leather coat
      swinging just past his knees. The coat was dark brown, similar in
      color to the one he had at Xavier's, one of many things he had
      left behind.

      Pyro entered the large hanger housing the Brotherhood's growing
      arsenal of airborne vehicles, and made his way towards the other
      side. Beams of light shone down from numerous glass skylights,
      which were cut at different angles in the high ceiling. The
      sunlight caused the large metallic supports lining the stone wall to
      shine, casting odd shadows around the room.

      As he approached the silver jet, he heard someone working
      diligently, the sound of metal on metal echoing through the
      chamber. Pyro glanced up and saw Toad crouching atop one wing,
      frowning over his large goggles in concentration.

      "Hey," Pyro greeted him.

      Toad paused only long enough to spare him a quick glance before
      returning to his work. Pyro took the response grudgingly, knowing
      indifference was usually as close to friendly as the green mutant
      ever got.

      Pyro sighed and looked around the room for any of the other
      Brothers.

      "So...where are we meeting?" he asked, feeling a little
      anxious. He had never met another mutant who could control fire, so
      he was interested in who of the Brotherhood would be going to find
      her.

      Toad did not look up as he responded, "In Magneto's
      office."

      Pyro nodded, "Oh. Should we head over there?"

      Toad gave the boy an annoyed glance but spoke again, "Just
      waitin' on the word."

      "Oh," he repeated. He lingered there, with his hands in his
      pockets, wondering just how long it would be before the
      `word' came. When awaiting Magneto's call, it could be
      minutes or hours. One simply had to be ready to go, right away, when
      the call came.

      Pyro stood silently for a few minutes, but the tedium of the Island
      had been weighing on him lately, so he decided to try to start a
      conversation while they waited for word from Magneto.

      "So, what's up with the jet?" Pyro asked, earning himself
      another annoyed glare, "Mystique ding the bumper or
      something?"

      Toad frowned down at him, and tilted his head cynically. However,
      he did find the image of Mystique backing the jet into another
      vehicle (maybe having to exchange insurance information) amusing,
      and he smirked.

      "Jets don't have bumpers," Toad replied, continuing his
      work.

      "Yeah, I know," Pyro said smugly, "It was a joke..."

      Toad looked down at him again, and Pyro grinned sarcastically.

      "Ya'know...a joke," Pyro said, and Toad rolled his eyes
      without amusement.

      The motion was exaggerated by the lenses he wore and Pyro suppressed
      another comment. After eight months, he had learned the tolerance
      level of the other Brotherhood members, and he knew not to push
      those limits. While Toad was typically reserved in his emotions,
      Pyro had only needed to see him lose his temper once and to know
      that anger was not something he ever wanted directed at him.

      Glancing around the room again, Pyro noticed with some relief that
      Mystique heading toward them from the direction of Magneto's
      office. Her face was even and impassive, looking as apathetic as a
      statue, but at least her presence meant Pyro would not have to wait
      around in silence for another hour. Toad had apparently noticed her
      also, as Pyro could hear him gathering his things from above.

      As Mystique reached the jet, she gave each of the other mutants a
      long look, almost measuring them up before they went to see
      Magneto. Pyro shifted, trying not to look too uncomfortable by her
      scrutiny, and stood with his shoulders back. Her gazed moved to
      Toad, who barely acknowledged her presence.

      "We ready to start?" Pyro asked and Mystique looked at him
      again.

      "No," she replied, "I was just making sure everyone was
      here. We're still waiting for another arrival. He's
      traveling from the north by water, but should be arriving
      shortly."

      "Really?" Toad suddenly spoke from above, glancing down at
      Mystique with a wicked grin, "The pussy's coming home,
      then?"

      Mystique did not reply, and the reason for Toad's scathing tone
      was lost on Pyro.

      "Who're we waiting for?" Pyro asked.

      "Another of our Brothers," she replied, and glanced up at
      Toad coolly, who chuckled and pulled off his lenses and put them in
      his tool case.

      Before Pyro could question further, a low rumbling could be heard
      reverberating from outside the compound. Pyro glanced up with a
      curious frown and a smooth smile spread across Mystique's face.
      The dying roar of the boat's engine was a noise she recognized.
      She gave Toad once last warning glance, and walked off towards the
      dock to greet the new arrival.

      Pyro watched her go, and heard Toad land solidly behind him as he
      jumped from the wing. Toad was still smirking as he shouldered his
      pack and began to walk towards Magneto's office.

      Pyro walked quickly to catch up with him and frowned curiously.

      "Pussy?" he asked and Toad gave him a broad grin.

      "Yeah...as in cat..."

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713