OT. Sinister

  • magnusxxz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2004
      Does anyone here happen to have an indepth Bio on Mr. Sinister?
      Powers, alies, friends, enemeys, known relatives, bases.

      Things like that.

      I know a away back there was a bio on Magneto and how his powers
      worked. Would there happen to be on on Essex?

      ): )
    • Dex
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2004
        At 01:27 AM 18/01/04 -0000, you wrote:
        > Does anyone here happen to have an indepth Bio on Mr. Sinister?
        > Powers, alies, friends, enemeys, known relatives, bases.
        >
        > Things like that.

        Depends how in depth you want.

        Doctor Nathaniel Essex was first seen in 1858, when he shocked the Oxford
        College during the Royal Science Society lecture. Essex was obsessed with
        the ideas of Charles Darwin, and carried them a step forward that if
        evolution is a continuing ongoing process, it was a process that can be
        controlled and guided. Essex' passion came from his desire to create a
        being that could challenge God. His son Adam had died, destroying his
        former strong beliefs. His wife, Rebecca, maintained her beliefs, and that
        dicodomy had driven them apart.

        During this time, two strange events would happen to change his life. The
        first was the strange arrival of Scott Summers and Jean Grey in the
        Victorian Age, and the rebirth of En Sabeh Nur (Apocolypse) in that age.
        During this time (Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix vol.2 #1-4) Essex would
        find the reality of the existance of mutants. His quest would end with his
        wife dying, and his making a deal with Nur to continue his experiments
        under his machines. As Apocolypse's machines turned him into his current
        form, he was opposed by Cyclops, and his vulnerability to his optic blasts
        was created. As Scott and Jean find their way back home, the postscript
        ends with Sinister at the steps of St.Paul's Cathedral, at the funeral of
        Charles Darwin, as he realises his new life's mission.

        Sinister next appears in Scott's youth, his labs and research in an
        underground complex, beneath an ophanage in Omaha, NE. He arranged for
        Scott's brother Alex to be adopted away from his brother, and created
        Scott's ruby quartz glasses. His surgery took conscious control of the
        optic blasts away from him, and there was a subplot under Claremont (during
        the Inferno crossover) was that Sinister acted in the orphanage under a
        shapeshifted form of a bully named Nathan, who taunted Scott for years.

        Essex was obsessed with the idea of genetic supremacy, and his studies drew
        him to the genetic possibilities of Summers and Grey's twinned DNA. He took
        a sample of Jean Grey, and began to build a clone of her. However, the
        clone never seemed to awake, and Essex considered her a failed experiment.
        When Jean Grey (apparently) sacrificed herself on the Blue Area of the
        moon, at the exact moment of her death, the clone awake. Believing her to
        hold some element of the Phoenix power, and needing that twinned DNA, Essex
        constructed a false past and memory for the clone, who he named Madelyne
        Pryor. He placed her with Scott's grandparents in Alaska as a pilot,
        designed specifically to attract Scott. Scott appeared, fell in love, and
        married her. Their first child (who Madelyne named Nathan over the
        objections of her husband) was born, and Essex was ready to collect her
        when the real Jean Grey returned to life (X-Factor #1). Scott left his
        wife, and Essex sent his Mauraders to collect his clone and her child.
        Unconsciously using her Pheonix powers for the first time, she escaped to
        San Francisco, when she was hospitalized. Essex left behind a body to
        confuse Summers.

        Essex next appeared (and his first appearence in the comics) as the leader
        of the Mauraders, a group of assassins and mercenaries with mutant powers,
        including Logan's old nemesis, Sabretooth. They went to try and end her
        life, and the X-Men appeared and saved her, bringing her into the group. At
        the time, X-Factor was believed to be mutant hunters, and the X-Men did not
        know how to go about it.

        The next major actions by Essex involved the mutants known as the Morlocks.
        He loosed the Marauders against thier underground home, and they proceeded
        to slaughter the homeless mutants. The subsequent masscre took several
        X-Men out of commission.

        Essex would not appear again until the Inferno saga, and first becomes
        known to the X-Men. He was believed killed by Cyclops at the end of the
        series (X-Factor #38). He would make on and off appearences for years,
        before making a major appearence in X-Men #24, where he recieved a case
        from Stryfe which unknowingly contained the Legacy virus, unleashing it on
        the world. He had a brief sequence in the PAD era X-Factor, as the leader
        of the Nasty Boys (X-Factor #73-78)

        Since then, Essex has not made a major appearence in the main books. He is
        effectively immortal due to Apocolypse's transformation, and possesses a
        limited mallability and shapeshifting abilities. He is impervious to harm
        (save for Scott's optic blasts) and has shown some signs of enhanced
        strength, telepathy, and energy transformation. No one is sure of his full
        abilities.

        Nathaniel Essex has not appeared in the movies, however my fic RAZOR
        features a possible version of him in the movieverse. There have been few
        comic fics that feature him prominantly. Best examples are EXPERIMENT 713
        by Lori MacDonald, NO WAY UP by Kielle, and CONVERSATIONS BETWEEN TWO
        GENTLEMEN - HENRY MULGREW(1858) by myself.

        Hope this helps.

        --Dex