FIC: X-Book 1 New Allies New Enemies, PG-13, Chpt 26

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2004
      X-Book 1: New Allies New Enemies - Chapter 26 - Of Lost Keys and
      Textbooks

      Rating: PG-13

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Disclaimer: I own nothing associated with characters from the Marvel
      universe or any previously published work.

      ***

      Chapter Twenty-Six:

      From the mansion's elevator, Henry McCoy ducked slightly as he
      stepped into the ground floor hall, followed quickly by his formerly
      unconscious patient. Mary had recovered from her recent visions
      with an uncanny serenity, as if the seemingly traumatic event that
      had knocked her out cold had little other effect on her. She seemed
      nervous now that she may finally be meeting some of the others, but
      otherwise was alert and chatting pleasantly with the doctor.

      "So, about how many other students live here?" she asked
      looked slightly upwards to meet Henry's grinning face.

      "Oh, about thirty or thirty-five, I think," Henry replied,
      strolling along next to her with his hands held behind his back.

      Mary noticed that his movements would occasionally become almost ape-
      like as he walked casually around the lab. The motions were quiet
      natural, given his immense body shape and long arms, but whenever he
      was around others, he seemed to make a conscious effort to walk
      upright, forcing his body to march with unnatural stiffness.

      "Oh," she replied, and then added quickly, "Will they all
      be at dinner now?"

      Henry chuckled, but smiled sympathetically at the girl's anxiety.

      From the way Scott had described it, she came from a town that
      probably only had about thirty people total, and now she was in a
      solitary, albeit large, house with over two dozen lively children.

      "No, I don't think so," Henry replied, "I imagine
      most of them are already fed and off again, though some have been
      asking about you. Any new student is met happily. You're one
      more person in the world who's just like them..."

      Henry accompanied his very serious statement with a playful wink.

      "And they love showing new arrivals exactly what make them
      mutants."

      Mary smiled, "Big change from home. Most people in my town were
      suspicious of new people. Of course, considering I was the youngest
      person most of them saw every day...well, I'm not exactly the
      hyperactive type..."

      "For which I'm sure the Professor is very happy," Henry
      replied, "We rather count on the older students to set a good
      example for the younger students…"

      Mary paused in mid-step and Henry looked slightly back at her.

      Before he could ask her why she stopped, Rogue came running around
      from the other way, tearing through the mansion at full speed. She
      skidded to a halt in surprise as she noticed them, and grinned.

      "Oh," Rogue said, breathing heavily, "Hi, Dr. McCoy…"

      Henry greeted her, and she frowned curiously at the girl next to him
      before continuing.

      "Are you Mary?" she asked and when the girl nodded, she held
      out one gloved hand, "Hi…I'm Rogue. How're you
      feelin'?"

      Mary blinked in surprise and then grinned, "Ok, thanks. I'm
      sorry if I scared anyone last night."

      Rogue's eyes darkened a bit as she glanced between Mary and
      Henry, "You didn't. We're sort of on guard all the time
      since…well, before what happened a few months ago. Besides, the
      Professor sent us all a message that everything was under control…
      and we had a little extra security come into town last night too."

      Rogue began to smile as she finished speaking. The expression was
      warm, but also held a strange, almost intimidating, pride. For a
      second, Mary thought she looked a lot like the man Logan she had
      encountered only briefly the night before. Not a clear kinship, but
      as if Rogue held almost an echo of Logan behind her eyes.

      As quickly as it was there, the look faded and her cheerful mood
      reappeared.

      "Storm said you're in one of the single rooms in the east
      wing," Rogue said, almost as a question to which Mary shrugged.

      "I haven't actually been there yet," Mary replied,
      "But I hear my luggage thinks the room has a great view…"

      Rogue grinned, "Well, view or not…it's better than the
      student dorms, believe me. Bobby and I got upgraded to our own
      rooms last winter so we'll be right down the hall."

      Mary narrowed her eyes, and tilted her head, as if she was listening
      to an unheard whisper.

      "He's there now…" Mary said quietly and then added
      quickly, "At least…that's where you'll find him when
      you find him…"

      Rogue stared at her a moment with some confusion. Henry gave both
      girls a sideways grin and shook his head with polite amusement.

      "Oh, was that…" Rogue began, looking up towards the stairs
      and then back to Mary before continuing, "That's what you can
      do…so you are precognitive?"

      Mary nodded, looking a little embarrassed, her raven dark hair
      hiding part of her face.

      "I'm sorry," Mary said, "I…I do that without
      thinking about it. Back in town, people sort of just expected me to
      tell them where they would find something or when they would meet
      who they were looking for…"

      "Were you looking for Bobby, Rogue?" Henry asked, entering
      the conversation for the first time.

      Rogue nodded, "Yeah…I was…"

      Suddenly, Rogue nudged Henry with one gloved elbow.

      "Maybe she can help you find your keys next time, Doc," she
      said, and McCoy chuckled but seemed to be seriously considering
      Rogue's suggestion.

      Mary felt a strange relief run through her. The unexpected ease at
      which they accepted what she could do was a pleasant surprise.

      Though she had spoken about how her townspeople would expect Mary to
      know things, she did not add that those same people were usually
      afraid of her at the same time. Even the Elders, who had traditions
      of invoking visions of the future, would systematically ignore her
      gift, and her questions about it.

      "Do you mind showing me where my room is?" Mary asked, and
      then added, "I mean…if you are going upstairs…which you
      don't have to but…"

      "Come on…" Rogue said, "I'll introduce you to Bobby
      too before dinner. It really won't take you long to get to know
      everybody...see you in a bit, Doc…"

      "Take your time…" he called as they walked away, "The
      longer you make the hours of a Sunday evening, the longer you make
      the time until your chemistry exam!"

      Rogue paused remembering her forgotten text out on the lawn. Mary
      knew the other girl was ready to go looking for it, and decided she
      did not need to disguise her power anymore.

      "Don't worry…" she said to Rogue, "The man with the
      cards brings it back into the house. He'll leave it on the table
      near the steps."

      Rogue looked back at her, "Oh…ok…"

      Mary glanced back at Henry with a mimic of his sideways grin,
      "Oh, and Dr. McCoy? They're in the inner left pocket…"

      Rogue laughed as Henry pulled a jingling set of keys from his lab
      coat and scratched his head. She spun around to Mary and gave her a
      wicked grin.

      "So…can you tell me how I do on that chem test?" she
      asked, and Mary laughed.

      "Now, what fun would that be?" Mary replied, and followed
      Rogue up the steps.

      Henry could hear Rogue presenting Mary with her reasons why it would
      be fun to know her future grade (and the future answers to future
      exam questions), as they disappeared around the corner on the second
      floor. Henry McCoy spun his keys on his fore finger and whistled
      happily as he walked away.

      About ten minutes later, Remy entered the hall with a chemistry
      textbook under his arm. He put it down on the table near the steps,
      figuring that Rogue will see it there when she comes by.

      ***
      Archived at www.fanfiction.net/~leen713