Fic: Outsiders(1/1) Logan, Marie [PG]

  • pphillips914
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2004
      Logan makes a major decision and tries
      to explain it to Marie.

      Title: Outsiders

      Author: Pat Phillips

      Rating/warning & pairing/characters:
      Rated PG,
      Logan, Marie.

      I do not own these characters. Instead,
      they are the property of Marvel Comics.

      As a firm believer in property rights,
      it's only reasonable that I specify that
      my use of these characters should in no
      way be interpreted as a threat to Marvel's
      ownership of them.

      All of my fan fiction, including this story,
      is a not-for-profit venture. After all, when
      you get down to it, who would pay for this
      stuff?

      OUTSIDERS

      The sunset was almost done.

      Marie had two bottles of beer in her right hand. Both bottles were
      fresh out of the refrigerator and soaked with condensation. Walking
      out onto the porch, she gently rattled the bottles together.

      Sitting with his boots up on the porch railing, Logan smiled briefly
      and then invitingly pulled an empty chair next to him. He didn't
      bother to look over at the girl. He knew who it was.

      Without a word, Marie sat down, cracked open both bottles, and handed
      one to Logan. They were careful not to touch as she passed the beer,
      even though Marie was wearing gloves. Neither one of them noticed
      what they had done, it was a matter of practice and habit by now.

      "Thanks, kid," said Logan just before he took a sip.

      "No problem," replied the girl, taking a drink from her own bottle.

      "So how's it going in there?" asked Logan, his eyes watching the
      almost complete sunset.

      Marie shrugged and began nervously plucking at the label of her
      bottle.

      "Scott is still in his room. The Professor is in his office. As
      near as I can tell, Ororo is really running things. I think she's
      trying to work so hard that she won't have time to think about Jean."

      Logan nodded.

      "The kids are a mess," continued Marie quietly. "Most everyone here
      thought an awful lot of Jean. And everyone's frightened that
      Stryker's soldiers will come back -- especially the younger kids."

      Logan nodded again. His eyes still on the sunset.

      Marie sighed, "And Bobby can't stop talking about John. He's really
      upset."

      Logan nodded for a third time. Then he finally turned and looked
      over at Marie.

      "How about you?" he asked her.

      Marie hesitated before answering, "I... I didn't know Dr. Grey as
      well as the others. And I wasn't as close to John as Bobby was."

      "You haven't been here as long as everyone else. It makes sense that
      you aren't affected the same way."

      "I know," replied Marie as she eyed the man who had promised to
      protect her. "But actually, I'm mostly worried about you."

      Logan paused in mid-drink.

      "I'm OK," he finally said.

      "You can't fool me," said Marie firmly. "You can fool everyone else,
      but not me."

      Logan looked back to the sunset and finished the interrupted drink.

      "I know you thought a lot about Jean."

      "That's not it. Yeah, I feel bad about Jean..."

      Logan shut his mouth. There was a long pause.

      "Tell me," said Marie softly, running a gloved hand down Logan's arm.

      Logan sat his beer down beside his chari, removed his feet from the
      railing, and leaned forward, running his hands through his hair.

      "After we got back, I told Charlie that I didn't want any more help
      with sorting out my memories," he finally said.

      Marie stared at Logan in surprise. This was the last thing she
      expected.

      "I don't understand."

      Logan shrugged, "I don't want to know about my past. I'm happy not
      knowing."

      "That's nuts! What the hell are you talking about!" exploded Marie.

      "At Alkali Lake, I got separated from everyone. While I was gone, I
      found something. I found the lab where Stryker and his people
      experimented on me. Where they stole my memory and gave me my claws
      and coated my bones with adamantium."

      Marie leaned back in her chair and nodded her head slowly.

      "But I wasn't the only person they'd done something like that to,"
      said Logan.

      Marie's eyes narrowed, "What do you mean?"

      "There were x-rays on the walls of the lab. Some were of me. Some
      were of a guy with wings. And there was somebody with a wierd-shaped
      skull. Maybe it was the guy with the wings -- maybe not."

      Logan picked up his beer and took a long drink that emptied half the
      bottle, then he set it back down on the porch.

      "And there were x-rays of someone else who had been given claws."

      "Huh!?"

      "Yeah. I was looking at all that when Stryker found me in the lab.
      There was a woman with him. She was Japanese I think. She was
      working for Stryker."

      "What happened?" asked a fascinated Marie.

      "Stryker and I had words. Then he walked away. I wasn't going to
      let him go, but then that girl who was with him clobbered me. She
      was like me, Marie: fast healing and claws. Her claws came out of
      her finger tips. We had a hell of a fight. I won, but not by much.
      She was tough."

      "You killed her?"

      Logan grimaced, "Yeah. There was no other way. Like I said, she was
      real tough. You wouldn't believe the things we did to one another.
      Any one else would have been dead a dozen times over. But we just
      kept fighting."

      "Are you sure she's dead? If she could heal like you do..." began
      Marie cautiously.

      Logan let out a short, ugly laugh, "Oh, I'm sure. Believe me, I'm
      sure."

      "It doesn't sound like you had much of a choice."

      "Yeah. And neither did she. I found out how Stryker was controlling
      people later. He was using that sick stuff he was cooking out of his
      kid's brain. The stuff he used on Charlie, Magneto, and Kurt. I
      think he was using it on her."

      Marie leaned over and grasped Logan by the bicep. "I'm sorry you had
      to kill her, Logan. But you couldn't just let yourself die."

      Logan nodded wearily and bowed his head. Picking up the cold beer
      bottle, he pressed it against his forehead.

      An ugly premonition came over Marie, "Is there something else?"

      "Yeah. As she was dying. She... there was something different about
      her. Her eyes changed color. She seemed to be trying to say
      something to me. For just a second, it was like she knew me."

      Marie felt her stomach turn over.

      "Marie, I think I killed someone I knew from before they changed me.
      I think she was somehow related to me, but I don't know how. And I
      killed her."

      The sun was completely below the horizon. The western sky was a
      steadily darkening purple. A sliver moon was becoming visible.

      "I don't want to know who I killed," said Logan, staring out at
      nothing.