FIC: X-Book 1 New Allies New Enemies, PG-13, Chpt 10

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      X-Book 1: New Allies New Enemies - Chapter 10 - Meeting the X-Men

      Rating: PG-13

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Disclaimer: I own nothing associated with characters from the Marvel
      universe or any previously published work.

      ***

      Chapter Ten:

      As Mary pulled into her driveway, she gaped at what was sitting in
      the field behind her house. In the time it had taken her to drive
      back from town, a small black jet had landed less than five hundred
      feet from her front door.

      Oh, Christ, that's subtle, she thought cynically, As if people
      around here don't think I'm weird enough…

      Shaking her head, Mary walked up the short path to her house and
      paused before opening the front door.

      She was late…her Nana was going to be furious…

      Mary stepped through the door and closed it quietly.

      "We're in here," her grandmother's voice called.

      When she entered the kitchen, Mary smiled apologetically at the
      three strangers.

      "Sorry," she said, "I was in town…I didn't expect
      you here already…"

      "That's quite alright," the first man said, "You must be
      Mary."

      She nodded, and glanced around at their guests. The younger man and
      woman were silent, though smiling pleasantly at her. The older
      gentleman sat in a motorized wheel chair, which he turned to face
      her.

      This looks familiar, Mary thought. It was just as she expected.

      "Let me introduce myself," he continued, "My name is
      Charles Xavier and these are two of my colleagues, Scott Summers and
      Ororo Monroe."

      Mary moved to sit next to her grandmother, who patted her hand
      reassuringly, as Xavier spoke. Mary was trying to watch him
      closely, without being too obvious about it. Something like
      déjà vu was washing through her as she looked on the Professor
      and
      she wrung her hands nervously in her lap.

      "She was getting me a few things from town," Nana explained,
      "Mary has been looking forward to meeting you for some
      time..."

      She gave Mary a significant glance, and Mary fought the urge to
      cringe. She hated when Nana tried to explain things for her to
      others.

      "Indeed," Xavier said, "I'm glad you contacted us,
      Mrs. Sloane. I hope we will be able to help you with any questions
      you might have."

      "Questions?" Mary said quickly, feeling suddenly suspicious.
      She was not sure she was ready to ask these complete strangers her
      inner most questions.

      Xavier nodded, "In these difficult times, a life for a mutant can
      be very confusing."

      "Oh, for mutants," she replied, and then added quietly,
      "Right,
      mutants…"

      She had been having visions of this moment for so long, she should
      have known what was to be said word for word. Too bad she could
      never remember the details of visions for long or else she would
      have taken some notes, almost like cheating on an important test.

      "Our goal is to support mutants in the development of their
      gifts," Ororo Monroe said with a confident smile, though inwardly
      she was examining the girl closely. Mary glanced at her and
      nodded. The woman looked exactly like from Mary's memory, dark
      skin, white hair, caring but haunted eyes…

      "Yeah, well, I've got some of those, I guess," Mary said
      with a small grin, trying to sound more sure of what she wanted to
      say.

      "But," Scott Summers added, "Before we get into that, why
      don't you tell us more about yourself?"

      Mary raised her eyebrows curiously, and shrugged.

      "Um…not much to tell really," she said, "I was born
      in this valley, lived here with my parents until they passed away
      and then Nana raised me. I went to school, graduated, and now I
      work during the week at the local church and hall in town or with
      the university research group on the Reservation."

      "Research group?" the Professor said with approval, "What
      sort of research?"

      "Archaeological, mostly," she said, "Studying ancient
      cultures. My father was kind of an expert of the history of this
      area so I knew a lot already when they hired me."

      "Are you a student there yourself?" Ororo asked.

      Mary shook her head, "No, not an enrolled student, but they took
      me on as a research assistant anyway. I kind of have a knack for
      finding things in the field…"

      Xavier nodded, "It must be fascinating work…"

      "Yeah, it's ok," she said, "What kinds of things do
      you study at
      your school?"

      Xavier smiled, looking very pleased at Mary's interest in their
      work. He hoped that was a good sign of her positive opinion of
      them. Many young mutants were hostile to being labeled by being
      involved with a mutant organization.

      "All basic academics," Xavier said, "Our students range
      in ages from elementary to secondary school. We try to give each a
      wide range of studies to choose from. Scott teaches mathematics and
      mechanics and Storm teaches history and English…"

      "Storm?" Mary asked with a frown.

      Xavier paused a moment before continuing, realizing his accidental
      slip, and exchanged quick glances with the others. He met Mary's
      gaze again and smiled apologetically.

      "Ms. Monroe is also known by the name of Storm," Xavier
      explained, and Mary regarded him questioningly.

      "Why is that?" she asked, though she had an idea already.

      Storm smiled, "I call myself that in regards to my powers. I
      have the ability to manipulate the weather."

      Mary's eyes widened slightly, "Manipulate it how?"

      Storm exchanged another glance with the Professor. This was the
      part they always expected.

      "Time for a demonstration?" she asked with a small smile.
      Xavier nodded and glanced back to Mary and her grandmother.

      "You're not the only one with gifts…" he said, "Let
      us show you…"