FIC: X-Book 1: New Allies New Enemies, PG-13, Chpt 8

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      X-Book 1: New Allies New Enemies - Chapter 8 - Traveling Thoughts

      Rating: PG-13

      By: Kath713/Leen713

      Disclaimer: I own nothing associated with characters from the Marvel
      universe or any previously published work.

      ***

      Chapter Eight:

      As the X-Jet soared quickly west over the vast plains of the mid-
      west, Professor Charles Xavier sat in silent thought, watching the
      passing clouds with vague interest. His mind was currently very
      preoccupied, mainly with questions about their new candidate, and on
      the list which Scott had given him from Cerebro the previous evening.

      Following the training demonstration, Bobby had completed compiling
      the computer's latest information and had printed a list
      containing the names and suspected abilities of many mutants that
      Cerebro had located during Xavier's last session in the machine.
      The results had been lengthy, but not entirely unexpected. Many of
      the names listed had been individuals whom Charles had sensed
      previously, although, the number of new mutants had increased
      significantly.

      And, as always, there were several very obvious omissions from the
      list.

      Erik, Charles thought, a frustrated frown lingering on his face,
      Where are you now, old friend? Eight months and I have only caught
      fleeting glimpses of your Brotherhood and not a single hint of you.
      Are you still recovering from your incarceration with Stryker, or
      are you merely biding your time, building your strength, recruiting
      more lost and angry mutants to your cause?

      Xavier sighed quietly, and massaged one temple with his finger
      tips. With all the concerns he had about the world stage today,
      Magneto's silence worried him most of all.

      It had taken Erik Lensherr years to organize his first major attack
      on humanity at Liberty Island, but that had been when he was first
      creating what was now called the "Brotherhood of Mutants."
      His followers had been few, but fierce, and Xavier was certain
      Magneto's Brotherhood had not been idle during these changing and
      difficult months.

      However, it had proven impossible to guess how many others might now
      follow Magneto, despite the Professor's monitoring of mutants
      around the globe. The only two he could be certain of was Mystique
      and John Allerdyce.

      Xavier knew he could look deeper, he could focus harder on those
      mental signatures he may recognizeÂ…but every time he tried, the
      memories of his experiences from Alkalai Lake kept him from opening
      his mind to such a degree again.

      So for now, as frustrating as it was, Xavier knew he had no choice
      but to wait and see where Erik and his Brothers would appear next.
      The only thing Xavier and his X-Men could do was try to reach as
      many other mutants as possible, to lead them to answers beyond
      violence and revenge.

      Charles raised his eyes and stared out of the large front windows of
      the jet. He did his best to clear his mind of all else except their
      task at hand. They were flying now to Arizona, to meet and do what
      they could to help another mutant in need. It was their duty, his
      responsibility to guide others like himself through this confusing
      world, and keep them on the path of hope, instead of revenge and
      hate.

      "How are we doing on time, Scott?" the Professor asked in an
      even
      and controlled voice.

      Scott glanced backwards at the Professor through his ruby colored
      glasses. He and Storm were both in plain clothes, looking very
      casual next to the X-Jet's large navigation panels.

      "We're crossing out of Kansas now," Scott replied,
      "We're a little
      more than halfway there. Considering the time zone difference, we
      should be within landing distance by about ten o'clock Arizona
      time."

      "Good," Xavier replied quickly.

      "Any new thoughts on the young lady's abilities?" Storm
      asked,curiously.

      Xavier shook his head, "I'm afraid not. We'll just have
      to wait and
      see when we meet her."

      Scott frowned slightly, "Do you think we should have let them
      know
      to expect another guest? They only know that me and Storm are
      comingÂ…"

      "Somehow," Xavier said, "I think she's been expecting
      all of us for
      a long time."