FIC: Broken Home (AU, M/X implied, Scott, Erik)

  • Alara Rogers
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 13, 2003
      Written for Minisinoo's powerswap challenge-- "write an X-Men movieverse
      fic featuring Scott and Jean in which they have some other character's
      powers. Other characters may or may not be powerswapped." I'm not
      completely sure it qualifies because it features Erik and Scott, not Scott
      and Jean (Erik and Scott having a conversation, not as a *pairing*, eek),
      although it does mention Jean briefly. I might, however, write a few others
      in this universe. Since I created the first powerswap challenge, I *had* to
      do this one.

      Scott, Erik, AU, M/X heavily implied. Because divorce is hell on the kids,
      even the grown ones.

      Broken Home

      The rain fell down in fits and spurts, angry cold wind kicking up for
      minutes at a time, then subsiding. Scott Summers wasn't much given to
      flights of fancy, but it didn't matter. He knew perfectly well that the
      rain was tears. Xavier might be too controlled to let anyone in the
      household actually *see* him cry, but the weather betrayed him, raining in
      jerky, barely controlled sobs.

      Over 100 yards from the house, Scott could afford to turn off the
      degausser, and did. The nagging, aching pain of his powers being disrupted
      eased, and he could "see" the world properly again, metal and fiery nets of
      electricity glowing all around him. One such electrical net was
      approaching, through the air, and Scott doubted Charles would have the
      control to pull off flight, not tonight.

      The electrical net landed behind him, rich with energy. Scott didn't turn
      around. "If you've come to apologize, it's not me you need to be talking
      to. You should be talking to Professor Xavier."

      "Charles and I have already said all that we can say, tonight," Erik
      Lehnsherr said. He walked up behind Scott, his telekinetic shield
      extending, blocking the rain. Somehow this made Scott angrier. It was as
      if Professor Lehnsherr was blocking out the pain he was causing Professor
      Xavier, shutting it out. But then, Professor Lehnsherr had always been
      much better at blocking out other people's feelings than reading
      them. "I've actually come to talk to you."

      "I'm not sure we have anything to say either. You're leaving. You packed
      your bags. Fine. Go."

      Lehnsherr sighed. "Scott. You must understand. I cannot fight for what I
      do not believe, much as I might wish it otherwise. And this latest dream
      of Charles' is not only a naïve fancy, it actually offends me. You will
      set yourselves up as collaborators, oppressors of your own kind in favor of
      protecting the humans."

      "We're going to protect people who need it. Humans or mutants. They're
      people too, you know, just as much as we are."

      "Yes, I know that. But *they* will hardly acknowledge the same of us. And
      I cannot bring myself to endure being kicked and then still bringing the
      master his paper like a faithful dog. They are not *worthy* of the effort
      Charles wishes to put into them. Of the effort you will be putting into them."

      "That's your opinion."

      "True. But I can only make decisions based on my own opinions, not Charles'."

      Scott turned around finally. "How long have you been waiting to do this?"

      "I've thought it necessary for some time, but I wanted to make sure Hank
      was trained in the use of Cerebro first. I may not approve of the X-Men,
      but I still believe in training young mutants in the use of their
      powers. And I still think the appropriate place for such mutants to
      receive their training will be here."

      "That's very generous of you."

      "I had hoped *you* would be a trifle more mature about this."

      "Sorry, I'm finding it very hard to be mature about you walking out on all
      of us, not to mention ripping Professor Xavier's heart to shreds while
      you're doing it. You could stay here and continue to work with training
      the new students, you know. You don't *have* to be involved with the X-Men."

      "And when I see you return from some misguided mission of mercy, injured or
      dead for the sake of those who would declare you a nonperson and kill you,
      what then am I to do? I respect your beliefs enough to leave you now,
      instead of spending every single evening in fruitless arguments with
      Charles. Kindly respect mine, and understand why I *cannot* stay."

      Scott shook his head. "We *need* you, Professor."

      "For what? Your magnetism is a close duplicate to my telekinesis, and Hank
      is a far superior telepath. Charles makes a better teacher. And the
      studies you've undertaken while trying to overcome your disability make you
      close to my equal in electronics development. You and Hank can refine
      Cerebro as needed; you don't need me. The only thing I can contribute that
      none of you can is the harsh knowledge of what this world does to the
      different, and since you refuse to listen…"

      "We've listened. We *believe* you. But we don't think war is
      inevitable. We know what could happen, but we also know it doesn't *have*
      to. We can fight to stop it."

      "By setting yourselves up as protectors of humanity."

      "More or less. And keeping other mutants from triggering the war by
      exploiting or hurting humans."

      Lehnsherr was silent for a moment. "If I see a means of slowing or
      stopping the war, or winning it, and to do so I must take human lives… I
      will. Does that mean you will fight *me,* Scott?"

      "If we have to. I don't want to."

      "No. Quite aside from the personal considerations I think you know I know
      your powers too well to lose to you."

      "That goes both ways, Professor."

      "It does." Lehnsherr sighed. "Scott, I didn't want it to be this
      way. You are-- you have always been like a son to me." He smiled
      ironically. "If it were biologically possible for Charles and I to have a
      son, in fact, he would be much like you. You and I have always shared an
      affinity."

      Scott knew what he meant. It wasn't only that Scott's magnetic powers,
      when working properly, behaved more like Lehnsherr's telekinesis than
      anyone else's powers. It was because they were both crippled, not like
      Professor Xavier in a place where all the world could see, but in their
      powers. Lehnsherr had never been able to overcome his own monstrous mental
      shielding to be an active mindreader-- he could sense mutants, he had built
      Cerebro, he could do limited things with mind control and astral
      projection, but he couldn't read *minds,* not since the voices of the dying
      at Auschwitz had come flooding in in his adolescence and he'd had the
      choice of blocking them or dying himself. And an old head injury had
      robbed Scott of the ability to turn off his powerfield-- he could *control*
      it, manipulate its polarity and strength within limits, but without
      actually being able to shut it down he couldn't go near any piece of
      sophisticated electronics without destroying it. For a bright young man
      with mechanical aptitude and an interest in cars, planes, motorcycles and
      computers, this had been sheer hell-- Scott hadn't been able to drive a car
      made after 1980 or so once his powers kicked in in late adolescence, or go
      near a computer, or a television, or a telephone. Lehnsherr had built him
      the degaussing belt, a way to keep his powers under control when he wasn't
      actively using them, so he could live a normal life as long as he was
      willing to put up with arthritis-like pain throughout his body and the loss
      of what felt like eyes and hands at the same time.

      That was part of why this hurt so much. Lehnsherr walking out on Professor
      Xavier and the school felt like being abandoned by a father, and Scott had
      had rather enough of that from his *actual* father. "Yeah, well, you're
      the one leaving."

      "I am sorry. I'm not doing this to hurt you. Or to hurt Charles, for that
      matter, though I recognize that I can't avoid doing either. But I can't
      stand by and watch you throw your lives away for a fool's dream of
      paradise, either." He shook his head. "If Charles and I *were* fathers to
      you, he is obviously the one you take after, for all the affinities we two
      have shared. You cannot conceive of the notion that he might be wrong, can
      you?"

      "You can't conceive of the notion that he might be right. I didn't burn my
      human race membership card when I discovered I was a mutant. I think
      Professor Xavier is right, not because I believe him and I don't believe
      you, but because I think we do have an obligation to humanity. All
      humanity. Mutants and normal people both."

      "We're *not* like them, Scott. Someday you'll have to realize that."

      "Someday maybe you'll remember that we are."

      The rain had stopped, turning into occasional gusting winds, like the final
      tearless sobs of a man who'd finally, mostly, forced his pain down inside
      him. "This conversation is as fruitless as the one I had with Charles,"
      Lehnsherr said, sounding frustrated. "I… I had better go."

      "Yeah, maybe you'd better."

      "Take care of Charles. He will need you." He smiled sadly. "Take him to
      the desert if you need to. He spends too much time forcing his emotions
      down. I realize his ethics won't let him lose control, but I don't like to
      think of him shutting down his feelings. Bring him someplace where even
      the worst he can do will harm no one, if you must. And stay with him."

      Scott nodded. Being immune to electricity, able to generate his own heat
      from electromagnetic energy, and able to anchor himself to the earth's
      magnetic field even in the face of a blasting gale made him the best
      equipped to stand by Professor Xavier if Xavier *did* let go of his
      control. Ororo's healing factor wouldn't stop her from being thrown by
      winds and Jean's fire powers were absolutely useless in a hurricane. "I
      intended to."

      "Good."

      And with that Erik Lehnsherr lifted into the air, a large satchel
      containing all the possessions he apparently considered worth taking with
      him floating beside him, and flew away.

      Notes: For those who can't figure it out: Scott has Magneto's original
      powers, but affected by his brain damage, because I always wanted to play
      with what a natural magnetic field would really *mean* to a person's life.
      Erik has Jean's original powers, but his telepathy mostly does not work for
      reasons explained in the story; this might be cheating mildly as basically
      Erik has what comicverse Magneto has for telepathy. Xavier has Ororo's
      original powers-- Andraste mentioned that she couldn't see a universe where
      Xavier had different powers and still could put together the school, but of
      course if Erik was the telepath the school becomes more plausible, and
      Ororo's powers fit Xavier's need for rigid emotional control. Hank McCoy
      actually has Emma Frost's powers, not Xavier's; my plan was for Rogue to
      get Xavier's powers later down the road, but I needed a telepath at the
      school. Jean has Pyro's powers and Ororo has Wolverine's.

      ~promises to keep
      and miles to go before I sleep~

      Alara Rogers alara@... www.alara.net