FIC: Seasons of Growth Chapter 16

  • novemberotica
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      Title: Seasons of Growth
      Chapter 16: Come Undone

      Author: November Tuesday

      Email: novemberotica@...

      Rating: Here there be naughty words.

      Continuity: Series begins 3 years after X1.

      Disclaimer: Marvel, Fox, Brian Singer yadda yadda yaddaÂ…

      Archive: Sure, and if it's someplace other than list archives, please
      let me know.

      Feedback: makes me purr.

      "My immaculate dream
      of breath and skin,
      I've been waiting for you..."
      --Duran Duran

      By the end of the first day she had stopped warring with herself over
      counting the seconds until he arrived. Whatever would happen when he
      arrived, she was on the verge, and she knew she couldn't fight it. He
      had her, she knew it. She wouldn't fall into his arms, and she
      certainly wasn't gonna take any shit from him, but she wasn't going
      to deny her feelings, as tempestuous and ambivalent as they were.

      She knew, despite what everyone had thought, that she had loved him.
      His soul had flowed into her as he saved her life and she loved him
      the way she loved life. What that love had atrophied into in the last
      five years, and what it was after anger and betrayal had taken their
      toll, she wasn't sure. And she wasn't sure what would happen when he
      arrived. She just knew that it would be profoundly good, or
      profoundly painful. She was prepared for either possibility. And she
      accepted that her fear was natural, just as she accepted it when
      going on a mission.

      Wednesday came and went, and still she told herself these things.
      Though her fear had heightened, her heart thudding high in her throat
      when she remembered that he was coming, they were still just as true.

      She didn't tell anyone that he was coming. Xavier obviously knew but
      he didn't mention it. They thought they had known her when he left,
      and to a large extent they did. Now, she didn't want to have them in
      her head. She didn't want that vulnerability, that skew of power.
      Like she said, she wasn't a fucking kid. It was none of their
      business.

      On Thursday evening her bio study group was meeting on campus. She
      didn't dream of canceling it to wait around for his sorry ass to show
      up. Essie watched Maggie, Rogue was glad that she didn't throw
      another hissy fit at her going out.

      She went to campus, laughed with her schoolmates, even flirted with
      one of the guys in the group. She was ready for her midterm.

      When she returned to the mansion in her Jeep, she knew that he was
      there. There was no sign of Scott's bike, and she didn't know how she
      knew, but she knew nonetheless.

      Her heart pounded as she walked through the garage into the house.
      This was it, the moment she'd been dreaming and hoping and fearing
      and fantasizing about for five years. The hallway opened up into the
      main foyer. Deserted. She got her mail and walked up the stairs,
      willing her heart to slow down. He was nowhere to be seen. She turned
      the corner into her hallway and it was empty.

      Essie was giving Maggie her bath. "Hey, guys."

      "Hi Momma."

      "Hey Marie, some guy stopped by for you." Marie had thought her heart
      was racing before. She was evidently wrong.

      "Yeah?"

      "Logan or Loden or something."

      "Okay. Thanks for watching her, Essie."

      "My pleasure, missy miss." Marie paid Essie and finished bathing
      Maggie.

      She had suds in her hair and water splashed on her sweater when the
      knock came.

      Marie dropped the sponge and Maggie wondered why her eyes had
      suddenly gotten so wide.

      "Someone's at the door, Momma."

      "Yeah, I hear. I better go get it. You rinse off and dry yourself,
      okay?"

      "Okay."

      Marie shook out her hair and pressed her lips together.

      She pulled the door open, and then felt the breath catch in her
      chest, and the blood whoosh in her ears, and the hairs on every inch
      of her exposed skin grow tight.

      He smelled like snow and leather. Jeans and a gray knit shirt that
      hugged his muscles. He was clean-shaven, but his hair had grown long.
      His eyes still carried that haunted look. And there was a slightly
      apprehensive furrow in his brow that made him look inexplicably,
      vulnerably, beautiful.
      Then he smiled, a genuine sweet smile from his eyes, and she was
      lost.

      "Hi," She swallowed and tried to control her breathing. She couldn't
      show him now affected she was by his presence. She had been so cool
      on the phone the other night and now she felt like a blithering,
      blushing moron. She was a fool to think she could do this without
      losing control.

      "Hi kid."

      She rolled her eyes. "Hi old man." She certainly wasn't gonna let him
      call her Kid without impunity.
      "You look great." Oh my god, he's trying to not look at my breasts.
      Definitely not treating me like a kid. She was wearing her most
      flattering sweater, purple, low-cut, and tight.

      "Thanks."

      "How are ya doin`?"

      "Good, just got back from campus."

      "Yeah? C'mere and give me a hug."

      Oh god oh god oh god no no no no no. She looked at the wall behind
      him.

      Oh well, he did save my life.

      Twice.

      She gave him a halfhearted hug, exhaling slowly to avoid having to
      smell him. Because he smelled so good. Felt so good. Oh god.

      She gave him a terse smile. "When did you get in?"

      "'Bout three today."

      "Yeah? How was Cleveland?"

      "Rusty."

      She laughed tersely. "That's pretty much what I thought, too."

      "You've been to Cleveland?"

      No, you fucking ass, I've been waiting here on the doorstep of
      Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters waiting for you for five years.

      Oooh, I wanna say it. Can I say it out loud?

      "Yeah, a few times."

      Maggie splashed in the tub. Logan's animal hearing caught it and he
      looked past her, into the apartment. "Your roommate home?"

      "You could say that." She smiled enigmatically. His brows were doing
      that furrowing thing again. No, he definitely didn't like this.

      Maggie took this moment to walk sopping wet into the living room,
      wrapped in a towel.

      "Momma?"

      "Maggie, you're getting water everywhere. C'mere." She scooped Maggie
      up into her bare arms. Logan was staring. He looked at Maggie, then
      Marie, then at her bare hand resting on Maggie's back. Marie wrapped
      the towel around her and wiped water off her nose with a smile.

      "Mags, can you say hello to Logan?"

      "Hi!"

      The moment stretched out eternally. He looked at Maggie, then at her.
      He swallowed, and tried to hide his look of shock. Then, his jaw
      flexed tight.

      "Hi. Um, I've gotta go. I'll see ya."

      Marie couldn't help but laugh, one harsh bark of shocked laughter,
      despite the flush of hurt and anger rising to her cheeks.

      "Mamma, that man was wigging out."

      "Yeah, he was, wasn't he?" Marie slammed the door hard as tears came
      to her eyes.

      Chapter 17 is up at novemberotica.com