"The Player on the Other Side" (WIP, CH.7) Scott [PG-13] X1 and X2

  • rachel_martin64
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
      Post 1 of 3

      Title: The Player on the Other Side

      Characters Ch. 7: Scott, Rogue, Logan, Erik. L/R and L/J suggested.

      Summary Ch. 7: Logan leaves. Jean stays. How Scott and Rogue spent
      the rest of the day.

      Summary WIP: A popular officer is framed for the destruction of
      Alkali Base. His friends band together to ruin the mutant they
      consider responsible.

      Rating Ch. 7: PG-13

      Author: Rachel Martin

      E-Mail: Rachel_martin64@...

      Archive: Archive anywhere.

      Disclaimers: The X-Men belong to Marvel and 20th Century Fox. No
      copyright infringement is intended and no money is being made.

      Feedback: Feedback is welcome. Critical comments will not be
      misinterpreted as a flame.

      Author Note: Some folks have asked if I've written anything else.
      One story, in the Sentinel fandom, at
      http://www.skeeter63.org/~tslibrary/authors/auth-rachelmartin.htm

      VII.

      "Son of a bitch," she heard Mr. Summers say in a wondering kind of
      voice.

      Erik was surprised enough to glance up from the fast and furious game
      of foosball in which he -- she -- was engaged -- she and Bobby and
      John and a kid she didn't know, just hanging out, killing a few
      minutes until the dining hall opened for supper. Rogue had vaguely
      noticed Ms. Munroe curled up in a armchair in front of the wide-
      screen TV on the other side of the room, but Ms. Munroe wasn't
      watching anything good, just the five o'clock news. Erik yearned to
      watch the news too, but Rogue had overruled him.

      She saw now that the Professor, Mr. Summers and Dr. Grey had gathered
      as well around the TV. Dr. Grey had taken a seat next to Mr. Summers
      on the couch, sitting right next to him, her shoulder bumping his,
      but he was acting like he didn't even know she was there. All too
      many catty comments occurred to Rogue, but she sternly suppressed
      them all.

      And only because Mr. Summers cursed, only because Erik was startled
      enough to look up, did she catch sight of Logan moving quietly
      through the TV room, which really wasn't a room at all, but the
      enormous entrance hall of the mansion. He tugged opened the heavy
      mahogany door leading to the foyer and walked through. And it might
      have been the furtive way he carried himself, but really it was the
      backpack slung over his shoulder that told Rogue the day she was
      dreading had come.

      With a muttered excuse to Bobby, she ran and caught hold of the door
      before it could fall shut. "Hey!"

      Logan was reaching for the front door of the mansion. He hesitated,
      turned. She'd never thought to see Logan look like a deer in the
      headlights.

      She threw his own words in his face. "You running again?"

      "N-not really," he stuttered, looking down at his boots.

      She stared at him.

      He lifted his head and looked at her shoulder and mumbled, "Just some
      things I need to take care of up north."

      She did not stop staring at him. Awkwardly he reached out and batted
      away a strand of platinum blond hair from her face.

      "I kind of like it," she said softly.

      He looked down again and shuffled his feet.

      He had to know she loved him. He had to know. He had to love her too.
      He'd given his life for her. He panted like a dog after Dr. Grey but
      he'd died for Marie.

      She said, and she didn't care how pathetic she sounded, "I don't want
      you to go."

      What she had absorbed of him told her that Logan could not remember
      anyone ever saying that to him before. He raised his head. An
      irresolute expression crossed his face. He took a deep breath. For a
      moment -- for a moment --

      But he reached inside his shirt and tugged off his dog tag. He took
      her gloved hand and placed it in the palm of her hand and closed her
      fingers over it.

      "I'll be back for this," he said gruffly.

      And he turned and opened the front door.

      And he was gone.

      Rogue stood in the foyer, staring down at the dogtag in her hand.

      She stood and stood.

      And after a while it occurred to her to go stand somewhere else.
      Mechanically she turned and walked back into the TV room. It was
      empty -- oh. Supper. No, Mr. Summers was standing in front of the TV,
      holding the VCR remote, and he was fast-forwarding and pausing
      through a recording of the five o'clock news. Senator Kelly, blah
      blah, Mutant Registration Act, blah blah, Mothers Against
      Mutants. . . .

      Rogue felt a flash of white-hot rage and not at the Mothers Against
      Mutants. She walked purposefully past the foosball table and across
      the room and planted her fists on the back of the couch.

      Mr. Summers glanced over his shoulder, and glanced again. He hit the
      pause button, tossed the remote onto the armchair, and turned around.

      "Bet you're happy now, huh?" she said in a low, venomous voice. "You
      made him leave, didn't you?"

      "Bobby? He went to supper."

      "Logan. You made him leave. You kicked him out. Didn't you."

      Mr. Summers looked sharply at her. In that instant her last,
      desperate hope, her Romeo and Juliet fantasy, collapsed. Mr. Summers
      was not trying to keep them apart. Mr. Summers had not sent Logan
      away. Logic dictated that if Mr. Summers were as all-powerful as she
      imagined, he'd have kicked Logan out weeks ago.

      The anger drained out of her, leaving her feeling hollow and cold.

      "I always figured he was going to leave sometime, Rogue," Mr. Summers
      said slowly. "Just -- not when."

      She tried to think of a polite way to tell Mr. Summers that his ho
      girlfriend hadn't eloped with Logan. She said, dully, "While you and
      Dr. Grey were watching TV," and trusted he would draw the appropriate
      conclusion.

      Logan hadn't taken Dr. Grey with him. Rogue was catty enough to
      rejoice.

      But he hadn't taken Marie with him either.

      Mr. Summers said, "Well." He shoved his hands into the pockets of his
      chinos. He said, "Well," again.

      Behind him the VCR whirred and the paused tape automatically resumed
      play. Mothers Against Mutants, blah blah, the Safe Schools Act, blah
      blah, La Jolla Senior High. . . .

      Rogue blinked at the TV and swore softly. "Verdammen Sie sie alle zur
      Hölle."

      "Es macht nicht, Vati," Mr. Summers said tiredly.

      And he said, "I think we missed supper."

      ___________

      The Institute was only about thirty miles from Manhattan but what
      with traffic the trip took more than an hour. Rogue didn't mind at
      all. The rebuilt 1964 1/2 Mustang coupe (with the pony interior) was
      very cool. Maybe not as cool as the Jag SJX with the V-12 engine, but
      Mr. Summers said the Professor wouldn't let him drive it anymore
      unless he went back to traffic school. And of course, the Jag wasn't
      one-tenth as cool as the Blackbird, but Mr. Summers said, "No."
    • rachel_martin64
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
        Post 2 of 3

        So the Mustang it was. Rogue flipped through Mr. Summers' CD
        collection and discovered that he liked jazz, blues, and German
        opera. They listened to Billie Holiday and Lena Horne, and Lena
        sang, "Someday he'll come along, the man I love, And he'll be big and
        strong, the man I love, And when he comes my way, I'll do my best to
        make him stay."

        Mr. Summers popped out the Lena Horne CD and popped in "Count Basie
        Recorded Live at the Southland Theatre Restaurant, February 20,
        1940," according to the insert. Mr. Summers didn't seem to listen to
        anything recorded after World War II, which actually sort of fit in
        with her image of Mr. Summers, unless he kept those CDs stashed in
        the suite he shared with Dr. Grey. And right on cue Mr. Summers
        started singing along to, "The Chicks I Pick Are Slender, Tender And
        Tall," and Rogue thought she just might bust a gut laughing.

        So the drive wasn't nearly as long as she might have wished, but she
        was excited, nevertheless, to arrive. She'd never seen anything of
        the city, except, of course, for Liberty Island (and that trip most
        definitely did not count). Rogue gawped through the windshield in
        amazement at the buildings, the lights, the crowds, and the traffic.
        She gawped, as well, at Mr. Summers' driving. The streets of midtown
        Manhattan seemed to summon forth the sedate Mr. Summers' inner Dale
        Ernhardt. Rogue privately thought that if she were the Professor, she
        wouldn't let Cyclops get behind the wheel of anything more expensive
        than a 1978 Pinto.

        Rather to her surprise, the Mustang didn't have a scratch on it when
        Mr. Summers parked it in a garage on Eighth Avenue and 49th Street.
        She wrapped her hooded cloak closely about herself as he led the way
        along the crowded sidewalks of a working class, multi-ethnic
        neighborhood Looking up at the street signs, she saw that they had
        arrived at the corner of Ninth Avenue and 45th Street.

        "Hell's Kitchen," Mr. Summers said cheerfully, sounding far more
        upbeat than Rogue thought anyone in a place called Hell's Kitchen
        ought to be. "Here we are -- " and he ushered her into a lushly
        decorated restaurant that Belle Watling would have felt right at home
        in.

        Ornate crystal chandeliers gleamed through gauzy scarves swathing the
        ceiling and draping the windows. Candles of all sizes and shapes
        flickered on tables glimpsed between potted palm trees. A porch swing
        was drawn up to one side of the table to which the matre d' led them.
        At Mr. Summer's gesture, Marie hopped into the swing. He took the
        perfectly conventional chair placed on the other side of the table. A
        waitress appeared and handed each of them a fancy leather folder and
        walked away. Rogue thought the waitress did a good job of pretending
        not to notice Mr. Summers' glowing red glasses.

        Mr. Summers looked across the table and said, "Why don't you order
        for the both of us?"

        Rogue opened the fancy leather folder to discover a menu tucked
        inside. Fried chicken. Carolina pulled pork. Chicken-fried steak.
        Blackened catfish. Yams, collard greens, okra, macaroni and
        cheese. . .

        "A lady named Alberta Wright is the cook and owner," Mr. Summers
        said. "She's from Charleston, South Carolina. Excuse me." He
        unclipped the fanciest cell phone she'd ever seen from his
        belt. "Yes," he said simply. "In the city. . . . No, no
        mission. . . . I'm being spontaneous. . . . Thursday, six to twelve,
        be spontaneous. It's all there in my day planner, Jean. . . . Very
        well, thanks, and you? . . . . Really? The claim form is in the top
        left drawer of my desk. If you wouldn't mind filling in the date and
        faxing it to my insurance company? Oh, and Rogue's with me. Out."

        Mr. Summers thumbed the side of the cell-phone-looking thingie and
        stowed it. He smiled benignly.

        "Uh, Mr. Summers?" Rogue said hesitantly.

        "Hmm?"

        "Did, uh --" Her inner Erik warned her not to go there. She said
        instead, "Did something happen to one of your cars?"

        "Motorcycle," Mr. Summers said.

        "That's too bad."

        Mr. Summers shrugged. "I got my money's worth."

        The waitress returned with two glasses of sweet tea.

        "Mr. Summers?"

        "Yes?"

        "I'm real sorry. For, you know, the way I been talking to you."

        "Don't worry about it. I can cope with Logan." Mr. Summers looked
        amused. "But your Erik Lenscherr impression, now that's scary. "
        Deepening his voice dramatically, he said, " 'Just where do you think
        you're going in that costume, young man? A fetishist club?' "

        Rogue laughed half-heartedly. "I, uh, I didn't know you knew him."

        "I guess there are a lot a things you know now that you didn't know
        before."

        "I won't -- I mean -- I know it's private stuff." She could feel her
        face getting hot.

        Mr. Summers regarded her steadily. "I know you know. We trust you."

        "Yeah, well, that's cuz you're idiots." Rogue sneered. "Maybe I
        should call your pals at the National People's Radio. Let's see how
        liberal they *really* are. Whaddaya think?"

        Mr. Summers sat back in his chair and said, "I think you'd never do
        anything to jeopardize Rogue's welfare. And right now, the
        Institute's welfare and her welfare are one and the same. Now if
        you'd kindly crawl back under your rock?"

        "Sorry," Rogue said meekly.

        "Stop apologizing."

        She said abruptly, "Why'd he have to go?"

        But Mr. Summers only shook his head.

        "Mr. Summers?"

        "Hmm?" He began to unfold the linen napkin by his plate.

        She gestured around the restaurant and asked in a low voice, "Was
        this Logan's idea?"

        Mr. Summers dropped his napkin and stooped over to retrieve it. He
        straightened up and smiled at her.

        "That's right," he said. "He was worried you'd spend the rest of the
        day in your room crying."

        "Huh!" Rogue instantly fired up. "Like I'd cry over his sorry ass
        when I got Bobby *and* John asking me out! I swear I don't know how
        he managed to fit his ego inside that camper of his." She swigged her
        tea as though it were a bourbon-and-branch.

        "You go, girl," Mr. Summers said gravely, causing Rogue to very
        nearly snort her tea out her nose.

        So Rogue did not spend the evening crying in her room (as she had
        fully planned to do). Instead she spent the evening stuffing herself
        with smothered pork chops, collards, macaroni and cheese, and sweet
        potato pie. She ordered barbecued ribs for Mr. Summers, because her
        inner Logan yearned to see Mr. Summers get messy.

        And after Mr. Summers got all the barbecue sauce off his hands and
        face (the tie was a lost cause), he escorted her into the subway for
        a short trip downtown to Alphabet City and the East Village. Rogue
        instantly fell in love with the East Village. Mr. Summers said he was
        negotiating to buy the Institute a safe house in the East Village,
        and his choice of venue needed no explanation. Nobody gave her a
        second look. She suspected nobody would give Sabertooth a second
        look. Mr. Summers got second and third looks, but she didn't think
        all those guys were staring at his glasses. Her inner Logan was
        always so busy pointing out Scooter's flaws that only now did it
        occur to Rogue that Mr. Summers was cute. Really, he was, in a Wally
        Cleaver kind of way. He looked like the All-American boys in the
        Abercrombie & Fitch catalog. Logan wasn't cute. He was
        overpoweringly, breathtakingly masculine, but she wasn't sure if
        Logan even qualified as handsome, and she doubted anyone would ever
        hire him as a model, except, maybe, America's Most Wanted.

        She shoved Logan out of her thoughts and had herself a good time
        rifling through the racks of the funky boutiques along St. Mark's
        Place. Mr. Summers said he hadn't spent near the money that Logan had
        left for her, and she decided to blow some of it on a fur boa.
        Actually it was a string of fake-fur-covered pom-poms. Mr. Summers'
        eyebrows climbed up under his hairline as she wrapped it around her
        neck and flung the ends over her shoulder, but he refrained from
        comment, merely fished out his wallet and handed her thirty dollars.
        The sales clerk chomped her gum and said, "You got him trained, hon."

        Rogue stifled a giggle. She turned and peered around the untidy heaps
        of ratty clothes and leather accessories in hopes of catching Mr.
        Summers' reaction. Mr. Summers, alas, had wandered outside. He was
        standing in front of the shop window and studying the display (two
        mannequins engaged in a salacious act) with apparent morbid
        curiosity. Logan sneered that Scooter was probably trying to pick up
        a few pointers. Rogue told Logan to give it a rest. Rogue, with
        feminine perspicacity, was learning to discount about ninety-nine
        percent of anything Logan said about Scooter -- er, Mr. Summers.

        The sales clerk kicked aside piles of vests, scarves, skirts,
        blouses, and leather things Rogue didn't really care to learn the
        purpose of. Having cleared a path through the shop, the girl led the
        way to the cash register and rang up the sale. "Hey," she said,
        tortuously counting out change. "Your boyfriend, he's a mutant,
        right?"
      • rachel_martin64
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2003
          Post 3 of 3

          Any amusement Rogue felt at the first two words had disappeared by
          the last. She looked sharply at the other girl. Her hair was pink
          with purple streaks, but the telltale brown roots proclaimed her
          coloring to be the product of Crazy Color Cream, not the X gene.

          The girl shrugged. "Come on. I mean, yeah, this is New York and all,
          but I don't see a whole lot of guys walking around with glow-in-the-
          dark glasses, ya know?"

          There seemed no point in denying the obvious, and the girl seemed
          friendly. Rogue said cautiously, "Yeah, he's a mutant." She could not
          quite bring herself to say, "We're both mutants." Her inner Erik
          damned her. Her inner Logan assured her that she was just being
          practical.

          "Cool." The clerk dropped Rogue's change into her palm and grinned.
          As Rogue stuffed the bills and coins into the pocket of her coat, the
          girl leaned closer and said in a conspiratorial sort of whisper, "So
          is it true what they say?"

          "Say about what?"

          "You know. Fuckin' a mutie."

          Rogue stared a moment. She unwound the string of pom-poms from around
          her neck and dropped it on the shop floor. Without asking for the
          rest of Logan's money back, she turned and shoved her way between the
          untidy racks and out the door.

          "Hey," Mr. Summers said, hastily tearing his gaze away from the shop
          window. "You change your mind about the uh, the, uh. . . . "

          "Yeah," she said.

          "Well," he said, "plenty more stores thataway." He pointed down the
          street.

          "I think I'm all shopped out," she said. "Maybe we could go home?"

          He looked at her sharply, but said nothing other than, "Sure. We
          should walk back over to Broadway and get the train to Times Square."

          "Okay," she said.

          They crossed Second and Third Avenues. With Astor Place in sight, Mr.
          Summers said quietly, "Did someone tell you to get out of the store?
          Did the clerk refuse to take your money?"

          "No," Rogue said. "She asked me what it was like to fuck a mutie."

          Mr. Summers halted. He said nothing. His expression did not change.
          But he turned and began striding back the way they had come.

          Rogue lunged after him. "No," she said imperiously. "I won't have you
          subjected to the prurient curiosity of a wretched shop girl."

          Mr. Summers stopped dead. Slowly he faced around.

          "I can take care of myself, Vati," he said gently. "I'm all grown up
          now. See?"

          Rogue blinked back sudden tears. Lowering her head, she whipped
          around and began walking almost blindly toward Broadway. In a moment
          she sensed rather than saw Mr. Summers fall into step beside her.

          "I hate him," she muttered. "I hate him."

          "You're entitled."

          "You should hate him too."

          Mr. Summers said tiredly, "I'm working on it."

          They turned north onto Broadway.

          "Did you really blow up La Jolla Senior High?"

          "Some of it."

          "Did they really send you to jail?"

          "The Herman Stark Youth Correctional Facility. Yes."

          "Because you're a mutant."

          "No, Vati. Because I was a mutant who didn't know how to control his
          power. There's a difference."

          "Oh, here we go." Rogue rolled her eyes. "I betcha turned yourself in
          like the good little citizen you are. Betcha begged them to beat your
          ass, huh? Good goddamn thing you and Chuck ain't black, or they'd
          still be sitting in the back of the bus."

          "Do you mind butting out?" Mr. Summers asked. "This is a private
          conversation."

          Rogue stopped dead in the middle of the busy sidewalk.

          "I hate this!" she screamed. "I hate it! I hate having all this shit
          in my head!"

          This being New York City, absolutely no one paid any attention to her
          outburst. The crowd flowed around them. She and Mr. Summers might as
          well have been standing under a glass dome.

          "Hey," Mr. Summers said. "Hey, now."

          "How could people do that to Logan? How could people do that to
          Erik?" She sucked in a deep breath. "How can you be such a wimp? Erik
          says they were going to put your eyes out. Erik says -- "

          Mr. Summers reached for her gloved hands and held them
          firmly. "Listen to me. Okay? You listening?"

          She managed to nod.

          "Rogue, it's not right that you should have to live with what
          happened to Logan and Dr. Lenscherr. Nobody should have to live with
          that. Not Logan, not Dr. Lenscherr, and sure as hell not you. Don't
          ever shut the Professor out. Don't ever skip any of your sessions
          with him. Let him help you. Okay?"

          "Okay," she whispered.

          "Okay," he said. "And listen. What happened to me was bullshit
          compared to what happened to Logan. And what happened to Logan was
          bullshit compared to what happened to Dr. Lenscherr. Maybe you want
          to tell Logan that when he's feeling sorry for himself."

          She wrenched her hands away. "You son of a bitch. Who the fuck are
          you to preach to me? What the fuck do you think you know about it?"

          "I know you have a healing factor and six million Jews didn't. Now
          shut up."

          Logan shut up.

          "My life is a movie," Rogue said. "*Psycho.*"

          Mr. Summers sighed. "Yeah, well, we better beat it before somebody
          from Tisch shows up with a film crew."

          So they found the subway station and took a train up to Times Square
          and walked to the parking garage on Eighth Avenue. Rogue was so
          amazed by the spectacle of Times Square that she made Mr. Summers
          walk through it with her twice. He escaped a third go-round by
          assuring her that the older students had plentiful opportunities to
          visit the city.

          So ended the day that had promised to be one of the most miserable of
          her life. It had been. . . not horrible, she admitted to herself, as
          Mr. Summers parked the Mustang in the mansion's enormous garage. It
          had been a good day, even. Proof that Logan loved her. He might have
          gone away for a while, but he was still looking out for her, just as
          he had promised.

          Mr. Summers killed the engine. He glanced at his watch and
          said, "Well, dang. I think we made curfew."

          "Mr. Summers?"

          "Hmm?"

          "Do you think you should turn your cell phone back on?"

          Sighing, he unclipped the cell phone, or whatever it was, from his
          belt and ran his thumb along one side of it. Instantly it began
          bouncing in his hand like a Mexican jumping bean.

          "Okay, maybe you should turn it off."

          "What an excellent idea." Mr. Summers thumbed the device again and it
          stilled. "Oh, ow." Suddenly he pressed the heel of his hand against
          his forehead. "It's no use. I'm being paged."

          Rogue's smile faded. "Are you a dog, then, to be summoned with a
          psychic whistle?"

          "Don't start, Vati."

          "The girl as good as performed brain surgery on you. Without my
          knowledge or consent, might I add."

          "I gave *my* consent, and that's all that matters."

          "Oh, indeed," Rogue said dryly. "And have you enjoyed being privy to
          her fantasies of that oaf?"

          Mr. Summers closed his eyes. Rogue knew he had closed his eyes,
          because the red lenses of his glasses stopped glowing. They looked
          just like regular sunglasses, now.

          Mr. Summers let his head fall back onto the headrest of the driver's
          seat and he said, "You've waited nine years. Go on. Say it. 'I told
          you so.' "

          Rogue hesitated. "I have never approved of her, it is true," she said
          quietly, "but I would not have wished for this situation either, mein
          Sohn."

          "I appreciate that," Mr. Summers said.

          "And after all -- she did not leave you."

          "Because he sneaked away without telling her?" Mr. Summers laughed
          unhappily. "Now she'll say she was planning all along to stay. I'll
          never know."

          Rogue laughed cruelly. "That's right, asshole. You never will."

          An awkward silence settled upon the interior of the Mustang.

          Rogue popped open the passenger's side door and paused.

          "Are you gonna be all right?" she asked hesitantly.

          Mr. Summers turned his head. "Who's asking?"

          "Me, Mr. Summers."

          He said, "I'll be all right if you'll be all right. Do we have a
          deal?"

          "Deal," she said, and got out of the car.

          ###