FIC: Inverse (Iceman/Pyro) 1/1, R

  • kuriadalmatia
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      TITLE: Inverse
      SERIES: Fundamental Difference of Experience
      Because sometimes the person you end up falling in love with isn't
      necessarily someone you can stand to be in the same room with.
      AUTHOR: Kuria Dalmatia (kuriadalmatia@...)
      CODES: Pre-X1, Bobby/John, Xavier
      SUMMARY: When Johnny met Bobby.
      RATING: R, language

      Feedback always welcome.

      DISCLAIMER: Marvel owns the X-Men, 20th Century Fox owns the movie.
      Salut! I just took them out to play and I promise put them back when
      I'm done. I'm not making any profit just trying to get these images
      out of my head.

      COMMENTS: The story stands alone, but it is part of a greater WIP
      series "Fundamental Differences of Experience" exploring the
      Bobby/John dynamic leading up to and including the aftermath of X2.

      With homage to comic origins (just a little) for Bobby and some
      ST:TNG thrown in just because:> And if some lines sound familiar,
      they're supposed to.

      Thanks to Nakki for a fab crit!

      This is strictly a dialogue piece and an experiment in style.

      *****

      "Ah, Mister Drake! Please come in."

      "Hi, professor."

      "I'd like you to meet our newest student, John Allerdyce."

      "Hi. I'm Bobby."

      "Hey."

      "Mister Drake, if you would be so kind as to show Mister Allerdyce
      around campus before dinner."

      "Sure, sir."

      "Oh, and Mister Allerdyce, I realize it's early September, but you
      may want a jacket."

      *****

      "So what's your thing, Drake?"

      "Huh? You mean my power?"

      "Duh. That's why you're here, dude, isn't it?"

      "Well, *duh*."

      "So, what is it?"

      "Not in the Mansion. C'mon. I'll show you outside."

      "What? Is that a rule?"

      "Yeah. Didn't the professor tell you? No powers in the Mansion."

      "You always follow the rules, Drake?"

      "Yeah, Allerdyce, I do. Got a problem with that?"

      "Yep. It makes you a wuss."

      "Does not."

      "Yeah, Drake-y boy. It does."

      "Look, there's a reason for it, okay? If you screw up your powers
      inside, it messes things up for everyone else."

      "Oh man, I'm stuck with a...."

      "Stop with the insults, okay? Jeez.... Do you wanna see my power or
      what?"

      "Where the hell are we going?"

      "Down by the boat dock."

      "This place has a fucking boat dock?"

      "Yeah. It's prep school, man. It's got everything."

      "A boat dock...."

      "Yeah. See? Right there. Anyway, this is the closest safe place. Miss
      Munroe gets kinda pissed when we mess up her gardens."

      "Whatever."

      "You just don't get it, do you?"

      "What the fuck is that supposed to mean, wussy?"

      "This...."

      "That? That's your power? That's pretty damn lame, Drake."

      "Lame? Man, did you forget your glasses or something?"

      "No. It's lame compared to this...."

      ****

      "Bobby."

      "Yeah?"

      "I don't know what to say."

      "I screwed up, Scott. I mean, *Mister Summers.*"

      "It's okay to call me Scott. Just not in class, okay?"

      "Uh. Okay."

      "Now, what happened out there?"

      "He just... called me a wussy, Scott. Said my power was lame. I did
      the tour thing and then he asked me what I could do. We went out near
      the boat dock and I made the wall like the one the professor had me
      work on the other day. He just... laughed."

      "And he was the first guy who ever laughed at you?"

      "About my powers.... yeah."

      "So you showed off."

      "Yeah? So did he. I'm not the one who made the flaming chicken or
      whatever it was."

      "Bobby...."

      "Look, man. No one calls your power lame, Scott. *No one*."

      "That's not the point."

      "Yes, it is. He called my power *lame*."

      "So you got into a pissing contest with him."

      "What would you have done, huh? Let him call you a wussy?"

      "Look, using your powers constructively...."

      "Aw man! Not that lecture again! You sure you're not channeling the
      professor or something?"

      "Positive."

      "He called my power lame, man. Me. The guy who has to have his own
      room so I don't... well... you know."

      "I know, Bobby."

      "So what would you have done?"

      "I realize that you...."

      "You once said any question, Scott. *Any* question. You talked
      about... *that* and you're ducking *this* one?"

      "Point taken. Look, I may have done the same thing. I honestly don't
      know."

      ".... You never got beat up, did you?"

      "What?"

      "Beat up. No one ever beat you up."

      "Well. No, Bobby, but what does that have to do with..."

      "Rocky Beasley. Remember the guy stuck in the snow bank when you
      found me? Well, see this scar? And that one? Those are from him. I've
      got a few more, too. He used to beat me up. All the time.... I didn't
      *do* anything to him. He just... beat me up."

      "Damn... I didn't know, Bobby. Look, I did get into a few fights, but
      no, I wasn't bullied."

      "You're lucky."

      "In some ways."

      "Allerdyce... Jeez.... Well, he's like Rocky.... I'm not gonna let it
      happen again. My dad gave me the speech about standing up for myself.
      Told me to be a man about it. So. Well. I did."

      "What if you couldn't control your power?"

      "I followed the rules, Scott! I was outside. By the boat dock. The
      place where the professor said I could practice."

      "I know. I'm just saying...."

      "I can't freaking win here, can I? You're telling me I should have
      just let him push me around? *Thanks*, Scott."

      "Hey, look.... I know it's tough. Just, try to be a little more
      patient, okay?"

      "Yeah. Okay."

      "Hey, you were able to put the fire out on the dock. It could have
      been much worse."

      "I killed a bunch of fish in the process."

      "Only two. Boothby was impressed."

      "Great. I impressed the groundskeeper. Whoopee!"

      "It's about control, Bobby."

      "I know.... So, I'm gonna have to do something, right? Repair the
      boatdock?"

      "You and Allerdyce."

      "Scott!"

      "Think of it as a team-building exercise."

      "Aw, man! Jeez.... And if he calls me a wuss?"

      "Get over it."

      "They'd never call you a wuss."

      "They called me much worst, Bobby. Trust me."

      "Really?"

      "Really."

      "Oh."

      "Allerdyce is just... angry. You know how it goes. Remember Jubilee?
      He's likely to lash out at anything."

      "Great, so you make me his target? Thanks, Scott. I thought you were
      supposed to be family or something."

      "It's not that. I think you did impress him no matter what he may
      say. You did freeze his fire."

      "Kinda pissed him off, didn't it?"

      "Surprised him more than anything else. Listen... you're the only one
      here who can effectively combat his power. You've proven that. He
      can't start a fire, just manipulate it. We pulled seven lighters off
      of him when he first came in and two more after the stunt at the boat
      dock. So, we need you to be around him for a while."

      "Great. I get to spend quality time with the new wannabe bad-ass of
      the Mansion. Yea me."

      ***

      "This is fucking bullshit."

      "Just shut up and hammer, will you?"

      "Or what? You're gonna use your lame ice powers on me?"

      "I stopped yours last time. I'll do it again."

      "*There's* a threat. What? You gonna make another ice wall? Who the
      hell are you, Hadrian?"

      "Who?"

      "Jesus! And I thought you went to a *school*."

      "At least the stuff I make doesn't look like a flaming chicken."

      "Are you stupid? It wasn't a chicken. It was a phoenix."

      "Looked like a chicken."

      "You think this..." Click. Fwoosh. "... looks like a chicken."

      "Aw hell, man!"

      "Oooh! Drake utters a curse word. Hey! You froze my phoenix! You
      fucking bastard!"

      "I just finished that part of the dock, you idiot!"

      "And you just froze the whole damn thing."

      "Because you set it on fire with you stupid chicken."

      "It is not a *chicken*."

      "*Yes,* *it* *is.*"

      "What are you gonna do about it, Drake-O?"

      "This, Aller-dork."

      "You fucking froze my lighter!"

      ****