Fic: Insight (1/1) OC(Mike), Jean, Kitty [PG] X1

  • pphillips914
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2003
      Title: Insight

      Author: Pat Phillips

      he knows that he's never going to get anywhere
      with her. Jean tries to give Mike a hand --
      and the teacher ends up learning something
      from the student.

      Rating/warning & pairing/characters:
      Rated PG,
      Jean, Kitty, OC(Mike)

      With the exception of Mike McWhirter,
      I do not own these characters. Instead,
      they are the property of Marvel Comics.

      As a firm believer in property rights,
      it's only reasonable that I specify that
      my use of these characters should in no
      way be interpreted as a threat to Marvel's
      ownership of them.

      All of my fan fiction, including this story,
      is a not-for-profit venture. After all, when
      you get down to it, who would pay for this
      stuff?

      Readers of my other fiction may notice that
      Mike is a minor character in "A Sacrifice
      of Flowers". Note that this story assumes
      that there was significant period of time
      between the defeat of Magneto and the
      Brotherhood at the Statue of Liberty and
      Logan's leaving to investigate the Alkali Lake
      facility. During that time Jean, Scott, Ororo,
      and Logan conducted missions for the Professor.
      That may not be exactly canon, but it allows
      for some interesting stories.

      INSIGHT

      Kitty looked over my paper, sighed, and said, "That's not right,
      Mike. Let's go over it again."

      Arrgh. I was having a terrible time with this algebra stuff.
      Danged if I could see the point to all this "x squared times y
      squared over z" stuff. Even worse, I could tell that I was getting
      on poor Kitty's last nerve. She's actually very patient. But
      nobody should have to put up with me and math at the same time.

      Fortunately, Kitty's not as physical as Marie. Marie doesn't
      hesitate to smack me upside the head when she thinks I'm being
      dense. She says it's a southern thing and I just have to put up
      with it -- although I did refuse to say "thank you, ma'am" after
      every time she hits me.

      If Kitty did that sort of thing, I'd be unconscious and bleeding
      from my ears after a half-hour of tutoring.

      Kitty started the lesson again. What was this? The third time?

      Working with Kitty has it's ups and downs in terms of learning
      something. Up side: Kitty's a pretty good tutor and I have learned
      a lot from her. Down side: I often get distracted and spend a lot
      of the lesson looking at Kitty. The volume of Kitty's body is a lot
      more interesting than the volume of a sphere.

      Kitty's sixteen or so -- which makes her two years older than me.
      So she doesn't see me as a guy. Instead she sees me as a kid. And
      that sucks big time.

      Which wasn't the kind of sucking I had in mind...

      Oops, I was drifting again. Kitty has this wide and very sexy
      mouth. She's a natural-born smiler. When she's not just-plain
      grinning, she has a half-smile that puts everyone she talks to at
      ease. I wonder if she knows that the first thing a guy notices when
      he's face-to-face with her is that mouth. And I wonder how she
      would react if she knew exactly what we usually find ourselves
      thinking about after we notice that mouth...

      Um? Oh, yeah, back to reality. Now what was Kitty talking about
      again?

      She was facing the blackboard, scrawling away like mad. She's not a
      very big girl. And she has this tendency to... move when she's
      writing on the board.

      I tried. I really, really tried, to concentrate on the board.
      Instead, I found myself concentrating on the more mobile parts of
      Kitty's anatomy.

      That was really unfair to her. Kitty was trying to help me and I
      was treating her lessons like they were soft-core porn. But I
      couldn't help myself. Dang it, she's the prettiest girl I've ever
      seen.

      Nuts.

      Dr. Grey stuck her head in the classroom.

      "Kitty, could I have a moment with Michael, please? Say, fifteen
      minutes?"

      Kitty nodded and put down her chalk.

      "Sure, Dr. Grey. Is there anything I can do to help?" she asked.

      "No. I just need a little time with Michael."

      Kitty gave both of us a funny look as she left.

      Dr. Grey sat down at another desk. She's old -- twenty-eight or
      nine, I think. She teaches classes and is also the school doctor.
      Oh, and lets not forget that she's a telepath and one of the X-Men.
      She can be a little scary, but I think she's OK.

      "How's it going, Michael?" she asked.

      "I'm having some problems paying attention, Dr. Grey."

      "I know. You're so upset that I can sense it all the way on the
      other side of the mansion."

      "Really? Uh, does that mean you can tell what I'm thinking?"

      "No," she said firmly, "I would have to directly enter your mind to
      do that. And without your permission, that wouldn't be right. But
      I can tell what you're feeling. People radiate emotion and a
      telepath can't help but pick that up. That means I know why you're
      having so much trouble."

      "Oh, nuts. This is embarrassing."

      "Please don't feel that way, Michael. There's nothing wrong with
      being attracted to Kitty. She's a very pretty girl and a good
      person. As far as I'm concerned, you have great taste. But...
      well, you do know about her and Peter?"

      Oh, heck, I had to talk to somebody before I went crazy, "Yeah.
      Pete is Mother Russia's answer to Brad Pitt -- and a really nice guy
      to boot. He and Kitty may as well be Siamese twins, they spend so
      much time together."

      "I'm sorry, Michael. All I can say is that you're not the first
      person to find yourself in this kind of situation."

      "Yeah. You're lucky that you'll never get stuck in something like
      this."

      She gave me a long look before answering, "Yes."

      "This is just a complete pain! I see Kitty every day. I like her.
      But I know it'll never happen. First, there's Pete. And then, when
      you get down to it, Kitty and I really don't have a lot in common."

      "I think I understand, Michael."

      "It really sucks to want somebody you just can't have, Dr. Grey.
      It's like you're on fire inside. You watch everything they do and
      listen to every word they say. Hoping for something that shows that
      they care about you. And it bugs the heck out of you when you see
      them with someone else."

      "That's... very interesting, Michael."

      "And the worst of it is that you just don't know what to do. You're
      scared of doing something stupid. You're scared that you might lose
      it and do something that's just plain wrong. But you're also scared
      of doing nothing. Because the only way you have a chance with them
      is if you let them know how you feel."

      Dr. Grey looked a little distant. She must hear stuff like this
      from us kids all the time. Jeeze, I shouldn't be dumping my
      problems on her like this.

      "I'm sorry, Dr. Grey. I guess I'm talking too much. I'll shut up
      now."

      She focused back on me. "There's nothing to be sorry about, Mike.
      I'm always around if you want to talk. Is there anything else I can
      do to help?"

      "Nah. Thanks for offering, though. I've just gotta do some growing
      up. You don't have these kind of problems when you're a grownup."

      She didn't say anything to that. I guess I shouldn't go around
      saying the obvious.

      "I'm sorry you're having a hard time, Michael," she said. "But
      remember what I said -- you can always come talk to me."

      "Thanks, Dr. Grey," I said. And I meant it. I really had needed to
      talk to someone.

      Then Dr. Grey gave me this big, long hug. That was a bit of a
      surprise. Dr. Grey's a nice lady, but she's kinda prim and proper
      and she'd never done anything like that before.

      "No, Michael. Thank you."

      I'm not sure what she meant by that.