Fic: chapter 9 Regressions (Wolverine/Panther)

  • "Sunshine"
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2003

      Rating: The entire story gets an R rating (so be warned)

      Setting: two years after the end of X2.

      him, in more ways than one.

      Disclaimer: I claim no ownership of any of the Marvel characters,
      however the creation of Danielle aka Panther is mine. This is the
      first in a series of chapters to follow.

      Feedback – reasonable and not nasty - greatly appreciated. If you
      wish to archive this story please email me first. Trust me, I am
      sure I will be thrilled, but want to know where it is.

      Several days have passed since their return, and Danielle was feeling
      odd. Every day, she felt she was being watched and scrutinized.
      But, it wasn't the usual feeling she had whenever Logan was peering
      at her from the distance. This feeling was different and it sent a
      wave of fear through her entire body every time she sensed it. She
      said nothing about it figuring she was overreacting to some new scent
      she caught in the air.

      One afternoon, she was walking alone in the courtyard. She caught
      the scent of danger.

      "I'm watching you," a male voice said softly.

      Danielle began to shudder with fear and ran off as quick as she
      could. She entered the professor's office and asked to leave – to
      have some time away from the school by herself. Feeling her
      thoughts, he pleaded with her to stay.

      "I can't jeopardize the children. I have to do this so please
      understand," she said.

      "What about Logan? Will you tell him you are leaving?" the professor

      "No. And please don't say a word till I'm gone. He will only try to
      stop me," she pleaded.

      Hurrying off to her room, she threw together a backpack of travel
      items and a change of clothes and was just about to scurry out the
      door when Logan walked in. He had heard all the frantic rustling
      around and entered without asking.

      "What the hell are ya doing?" he said grabbing her arm roughly.

      "Logan, let me go," she said with anger.

      "Yer runnin'. Why are ya runnin'?" he asked.

      "I have to and please, don't try to stop me," she said pulling away
      from him.

      "I won't let ya go. I can protect ya," he said.

      "No, ya can't. Logan, I love ya. But, I will just die if somethin'
      happens to any of these kids, or you, because of me. Please, Logan,
      I'm beggin' ya to let me leave," she said.

      "Hell, no. Yer stayin' here where I can watch ya and take care of
      ya," he said sternly while grabbing her pack and tossing it aside.

      Tears began welling up in her eyes and he pulled her close to console
      her. She slowly accepted his protective embrace, sobbing softly into
      his chest. His fingers raised her chin and he gently kissed her. He
      held her tight telling her everything would be alright. It didn't
      take much for Logan to convince her to stay.

      Danielle was out riding with Kitty and a few of the other kids.
      Logan was in front of the mansion making a few repairs to the stone
      walkway. Kitty watched Danielle as she pulled up her horse – she was
      sniffing the air and her eyes had widened with panic.

      "Danielle, is something wrong?" Kitty asked.

      But, before they could part ways, several soldiers, led by John,
      jumped out from the woods. Danielle's horse reared and cried with
      fright as the soldiers surrounded her and one of the other children.
      She and the young girl were pulled down, but she quickly began to
      fight. Kitty kicked her horse and galloped full speed back to the
      mansion. She rounded the building to the front side.

      "Logan! Logan!" she cried out. He rose to attention as Kitty pulled
      up in front of him.

      "They're in trouble, Logan. Several men," Kitty stammered out – she
      was frightened and out of breath.

      Logan took Kitty's horse and galloped off to help Danielle. Kitty
      went inside to make the rest of the team aware of the happenings.

      Logan raced around back roaring with a rage unlike any rage he ever
      set free. He flew from the horse, claws extended, and battled with
      the soldiers. It seemed like an entire squadron of soldiers were
      attacking. Danielle tried to fight, but they held the child hostage
      and she feared for the child's safety. Logan dropped back standing
      behind Danielle. Scott and Storm ran out to join the others.

      "Soldier, status report," John ordered.

      "The young prisoner is secured, sir," his lieutenant replied.

      "I told ya I would come for ya. Now, we can make an easy exchange
      right here and now. You come with me, Danielle, and we will free the
      kid," John said.

      Logan's lowered eyes and extended claws did not even make John flinch.

      "No deal" Logan replied wanting to lunge at John and save the young
      girl. Danielle held Logan back.

      "No. I will go with you without a fight if you let her go," Danielle

      "She will be freed as soon as I take custody of you," John said.

      "Danielle, please," Logan said.

      "Logan, I know you will find me," she said placing her hand on the
      side of his face.

      Danielle turned to John and began walking towards him as the child
      was released.

      Scott could feel Logan itching to lunge but strongly held him.

      "It doesn't matter, Logan. We'll find her," Scott said.

      "I always win, mutant," John replied backing off with Danielle.

      Just then, a helicopter dropped down in the courtyard and all the
      soldiers climbed aboard with their prisoner.

      "I'm coming for ya. I'll find you and take her back. And when I
      find ya, you better be ready for a real war, bub," Logan threatened.

      The soldiers disappeared as quickly as they arrived. But they had
      their prize and Logan feared for her life.

      "She knew this was coming. I was so stupid and stubborn not to
      listen to her. I should never have left her out of my sights," Logan
      cursed himself.

      Just then, Scott's emergency transponder started going off.

      "She's signaling on her transponder. Good girl. She remembered that
      tiny transponder on her ring. Come on, let's go inside. We can
      probably track where they're heading," Scott said.

      The signal was strong for quite a while and then it faded out. Jean
      was on line to General Miller asking for any help in where the new
      military base and experimentation station might be located. He was
      aware of a renegade force and had a man on the inside infiltrating.

      "I need to get in touch with my contact and see if he can send any
      information. I will call as soon as I hear from him," the general

      The helicopter arrived to the new experimental station. Danielle was
      roughly taken inside. She tried to fight for her freedom, but there
      were too many soldiers guarding her.

      They pulled her inside to a spacious lab. There, she was greeted by
      two scientists in white coats.

      "What do you want with me?" Danielle asked.

      "Panther, my darling. You know you belong here. Let me finish what
      I started with you," the voice in the darkness said.

      She was fastened to a table – her wrists and feet secured in place
      with metal bindings. A stranger's face leaned into her looking her
      over. He wrapped his fingers around the metal dog tag.

      "Wolverine. If you wear his tag, then I can guess he will be along
      shortly," the stranger said and then laughed.

      "He will come and get me," she said.

      "Wolverine to come rescue his mate. I certainly hope he does," the
      voice said.

      And then everything went black for Danielle as she was injected with
      some drug.

      Danielle awoke in a cold room with stone walls. Her body ached
      intensely. Something was different and very wrong. She was then
      subjected to tortures beyond anything she could endure. Shocks from
      metal poles wielded by the scientists burned her flesh and sent
      incredible pain through her body. Danielle would wail in agony only
      to be laughed at or taunted to fight. They were torturing her –
      trying to make her mean and to drive forth the animal inside her.
      The animal wanted to survive or die trying and memories of the woman
      she was began fading. She tried to hold on, as she possessed Logan's
      dog tag. She felt as long had it and every time she looked at it,
      she would remember who she was. But, as time wore on and her body
      could no longer stand the pain and the drugs she was injected with,
      she felt her memories leaving her. She fought hard – many times
      gripping the metal tag in her hand until it left an imprint on her
      palm. Yet, it wasn't enough.

      The scientist took the dog tag from her and Danielle tried to attack
      him. But, he and his assistant kept her at bay with the shock
      stick. They were unmercifully beating her into submission and using
      drugs to incite incredible fits of rage. She was starved and left
      alone in cold dark rooms with only the sounds of her belly begging
      for food to be heard. She cried out with wailing howls of terror and
      pain; her body beaten and abused; her mind tormented and taunted into
      extreme aggression, and the woman she was faded away. Her painful
      cries became loud roars of anger and the woman who was brought in,
      Logan's soul mate and lover, was stripped away and in her place stood
      only Panther.

      Unfortunately, it was several weeks before any solid information came
      through. The X Team put together all the facts – all the
      information – and began to draw up a plan of attack. The location
      had finally been disclosed, as well as detailed descriptions and
      floor plans to the new installation. Logan also learned that William
      Stryker was still alive and leading this new team. The new
      installation was heavily guarded and the Team opted to take extreme
      care in breaking in. It was another month before they felt it time
      and they called upon every available team member capable of making
      the raid and reclaiming their captured friend.

      "Sir, we have trespassers in the left quadrant," a soldier monitoring
      the defensive grid called out.

      "Let them come in. I don't want any harm coming to them, especially
      Wolverine," Stryker ordered.

      It almost seemed too easy. Logan sensed it – just too easy. It was
      almost as if they were being allowed in and carefully herded. Down
      one of the corridors, Logan spotted something shimmering in the
      distance. Upon careful approach, he realized what it was – his dog
      tag. He knew immediately there was danger and that this was the
      place Danielle was being held prisoner. Taking the tag down, he put
      it around his neck and stuffed the tag inside his leather suit.
      Inside the building, the team remained close and within sight of each
      other. Logan noticed one thing - not a soldier was seen.

      Logan sniffed the air – he sensed danger and he was right. Several
      guards surrounded the Team and an incredible fight ensued. Scott
      tried to blast as many of them as he could with his eyes. Storm used
      her powers to keep them at bay. Logan freed the Wolverine and killed
      several soldiers with his deadly claws. But, even with their great
      mutant powers, they were overtaken and escorted to a large room full
      of all kinds of military equipment and monitors.

      "I would never have thought I would see you again, Wolverine," a
      voice bellowed.

      "Stryker. STRYKER!!!!" Logan roared.

      There was a hearty laugh heard as the man who haunted the dreams of
      Wolverine again appeared before him.

      "You should have killed me when you had the chance, Wolverine. The
      rest of my soldiers, the ones you didn't kill, rescued me," Stryker

      Logan was completely enraged.

      "Weapon X would have been a great success if you didn't escape,
      Wolverine. But, you did. Then, my buddy John here introduced me to
      another animal with just as much fury and potential," Stryker began.

      Wolverine attempted to get closer – the rage in his eyes left Stryker
      seeing something very familiar.

      "Wolverine, the war isn't over," Stryker said.

      "Why can't you just let us alone? We don't do anything wrong – we
      just want to live," Logan said.

      "Wolverine, my dear Wolverine. You just don't understand the threat
      you mutants pose," Stryker said approaching his creation – his
      prodigal son.

      Logan wasn't messing around this time and quickly grasped Stryker
      laying a set of claws against his throat.

      "You keep implying you know who I really am. Then, tell me before I
      gut you this time," Wolverine demanded while pressing his claws
      harder against Stryker's neck.

      "You escaped and slaughtered nearly every soldier I had under my
      command, and you were on the run ever since, until Xavier took you
      in. Death follows you everywhere you go, Wolverine," Stryker said.

      "You tortured me! You made me into a monster! I ought to cut your
      heart out and eat it for dinner," Wolverine shouted.

      "I want you to meet someone, Wolverine," Stryker ordered.

      Just then, a sliding door opened and from behind it stood Panther.
      She was dressed in skintight black leather from head to toe, wore a
      silver spike collar and studded wristbands, and her eyes shined of
      the palest gold.

      "You know her but she don't know you," Stryker laughed.

      "Danielle?" Logan asked with pain in his voice.

      Panther snarled and backed off.

      "She is so full of fire, strength, and independence – just the way
      you like them, hey, Wolvie. We freed the animal she held inside – a
      real killer, quite like you," Stryker sarcastically said.

      Wolverine looked her over and released Stryker.

      "Danielle, please," Wolverine said of the woman before him.

      "She doesn't remember you, Logan. She's regressed to a completely
      wild state," Jean said. "I don't feel anything of the Danielle we

      "What did you do to her?" Logan asked – his voice strained with rage.

      "What we started to do with her, and with you, before either of you
      escaped. This time, we finished the job on her. I'm just happy she
      caved in so quickly," Stryker said.

      As Logan lunged at him, Danielle attacked on Stryker's orders. She
      grasped Wolverine's arm and pushed him off. He stood astonished with
      her increased strength and rage.

      "Danielle, please. It's me," Logan pleaded with Danielle.

      She held back. He tried to approach her – slowly extending his
      gloved hand to her. She sniffed the air and growled loudly.

      "Logan, the leather glove – she can't smell you through the leather,"
      Jean called out.

      He began to slowly remove the glove.

      "You think you are gonna get her to change back with just a sniff?"
      Stryker laughed.

      Logan was determined to try. Panther growled angrily and attacked
      Logan knocking him down to the ground and surprising him. He held
      his anger knowing she wasn't herself, and Panther attacked him
      again. Wolverine had no choice but to defend himself. He blocked
      her strikes and kicks. She roared with anger and lunged for him
      again and again. Wolverine growled and attacked hoping he could
      subdue her without hurting her. She knocked him off his feet and
      quickly pounced on his chest holding him down. Stryker laughed as
      his latest creation bested the Wolverine. Wolverine watched with
      incredible fear and surprise as her hands lay on his chest and
      unleashed three metal claws from between the knuckles – in the same
      fashion as his own. Hers were curved and shorter – reminiscent of a
      cat's claws.

      "Do you approve, Wolverine? She's now your perfect match – complete
      with adamantium skeleton and razor sharp claws. I wouldn't provoke
      Panther – she has quite a lot of strength when enraged. Does this
      all sound familiar, Wolverine? But, with careful training and a
      little therapy, we have made quite a lethal beauty," Stryker said.

      Wolverine could hear the low rumbling of her angry growl – her
      golden eyes shining bright amid her dark hair and make up.

      "Danielle, yer hurtin' me," Logan said softly hoping to spark the
      compassion Danielle was known for.

      She dug her claws in deeper. She was making tears in the leather
      suit he wore – her claws tearing his skin until his blood seeped from
      the wounds. Logan pushed her off. Panther rose to her feet and
      attacked again knocking him onto his back. She leaped at him and
      instinctively his claws extended and pierced her sides. She fell
      back bloodied and angry. Logan hated himself for hurting her as it
      only incited her fury that much more.

      She again lunged knocking him into the wall. Logan sinks to the
      ground and lies nearly unconscious from her assault. Panther slowly
      approaches him using her foot to test if he was awake or not. She
      knelt down near him as two fangs extended from her upper jaw. She
      was going in for the kill – the typical large cat way to kill prey by
      strangulation. Scott prepared to shoot her with his ray when Jean
      held him off for a moment.

      Panther leaned down close to Wolverine's neck – her jaws grasping his
      throat and her fangs ready to puncture his windpipe. She all of a
      sudden stopped. Panther cocked her head and leaned into him again
      seeing the shining metal dog tag chained around his neck. She also
      began sniffing his neck and where she had torn the leather away. She
      continued growling but a tear fell from her eye.

      "Something's wrong. I think she's got his scent and recognizes it,"
      Jean said picking up confused thoughts from Panther.

      "Panther, kill – I told you he was the enemy and wanted to hurt you!"
      Stryker said.

      She tore at Wolverine's leather suit drawing blood again with the
      wounds she inflicted. As he moaned in pain, she raised her claw-
      ladden left hand ready to strike at Wolverine but hesitated. Instead,
      she leaned into him to sniff again.

      "She's confused – she's so confused," Jean said.

      "I thought you had her under control?" a voice from behind Stryker
      called out. "You said she wouldn't remember and do as you say."

      "You can't control love and that's what she' drawing on now – her
      mind is healing itself with the memories," Jean said strongly.

      Logan slowly opened his eyes seeing her over him and feeling her
      breath on his neck as she sniffed him further. He raised his hands
      to her face gently caressing her. She pushed her claws into his
      chest remembering the orders to kill. Logan endured the pain and
      watched as she closed her eyes trying to fight the orders swimming in
      her head.

      Then, the shock stick hit her and she flew into a terrifying rage.
      Her metal skeleton was a perfect conductor of electricity and she
      cried out in agony. She clawed Logan across his chest drawing blood
      again and she whirled around to attack the scientist with incredible

      Logan leaped to his feet and the rest of the team began to fight the
      soldiers. It turned into a war – the X Men against the renegade
      soldiers. As the Team fought against the soldiers, the scientist
      continued to shock Panther sending incredible amounts of electricity
      through her new metal frame. She flew into a frightened rage,
      turning around with unforeseen strength and fury and she fought the
      electrical shock as she tried to pull the shock stick from the
      scientist's hands.

      Her attention turned to her friends – the mutants she could just
      barely remember. Back to back, Wolverine and Panther fought the
      soldiers together. Logan smiled happy that she somewhat remembered
      him and that she was fighting at his side.

      John was targeting Wolverine with a special rifle. As shots from the
      rifle echoed through the room, several rounds entered Panther's body
      as she shielded Wolverine. Wolverine didn't panic – she had the same
      healing abilities as himself. Bloodied and severely wounded, she
      dropped to her knees. Wolverine was pulled away from her as Stryker
      took his attention, and Stryker yelled for John to cease fire.
      Wolverine released Stryker. Intense anguish filled her eyes and she
      whined like the injured animal she had become. Something was very
      wrong. Stryker knelt down before Panther.

      "I am sorry, my dear Panther. Those bullets are tipped with a new
      drug to prevent healing. A little something we drummed up here while
      we had you and could study you. I wish they didn't have to be used
      on you – you are such a fine example of yer kind and I hate to see
      you die after all we did," Stryker said as he brushed the back of his
      hand across her cheek.

      Wolverine roared with intense anger and raised his claws to attack
      again. John aimed his gun at Wolverine, who halted. Cyclops and
      Storm waited for the right moment.

      "You have gone soft, Wolverine. You would never have reacted this
      way – especially for a woman," Stryker laughed.

      With one final burst of strength, Panther rose to her feet pushing
      Stryker away and grasped John by the arm and pulled at the gun.
      Scott shot the gun out of John's hand as John pushed Panther down.
      Cyclops took another shot destroying John where he stood.

      Wolverine flew into his berserker rage flying at Stryker and stabbing
      him in the belly. Stryker laughed, as he knew he was finished.
      Wolverine stared deep into Stryker's eyes wanting Stryker to feel the
      pain of his death, and then he pulled up on his claws disemboweling
      Stryker with one swift sweep. Blood stained his claws and he looked
      at them with a bit of pride as he watched Stryker slowly die. His
      attentions returned to fight the rest of the soldiers. It turned
      into a bloody battle until a surprise intervention by another
      military squadron sent by the President himself to protect the
      mutants. General Miller led the squadron and they arrested the

      Through all the turmoil and chaos of the battle, Panther stumbled her
      way outside the building. She slumped down into a snow bank – her
      strength all but gone and her memories fading in and out. Blood
      poured from the gaping wounds that would not close and pain ripped
      through her body. She lay down in the snow as exhaustion and pain
      embraced her. The snow around her became red with her blood and she
      closed her eyes feeling her life slipping away.

      Scott and Jean followed her out as the rest of the Team worked with
      General Miller and his squadron to subdue the rest of the renegades.
      Scott carefully approached Panther, who had just enough strength to
      let out a low growl before falling to her side again. Scott knelt
      down beside her rolling her over and supported her head in his lap.
      Jean was taking her pulse. Panther's blood continued to pour from
      the open wounds.

      "Why did she leave?" Scott asked.

      "Cats always leave to die alone," Jean replied.

      Jean tried to talk to her – to get her to open her eyes to stay
      conscious. Her eyes cracked open revealing how the bright golden
      color had faded along with her deteriorating health. Logan and the
      rest of the Team rushed to be at her side. Logan pushed Scott away.
      He dropped to his knees and cradled her gently in his arms. He
      looked her over sensing the seriousness of her condition. His
      fingers ran over her side and became covered in her blood. Her eyes
      closed again.

      "Come on, Danielle. Please!" he screamed while shaking her.

      Danielle's eyes again cracked open slightly. Her hand grasped his
      weakly. She was still too regressed to speak, but she had recognized
      Logan and that was enough. Her fingers opened as her grip lessened
      and she fell unconscious.

      "Ya gotta hold on, woman," Logan ordered. She was slipping away. He
      smelled death.

      "Logan, come on. Let's get her home. I need to find an antidote to
      the drug affecting her healing abilities," Jean said.

      Logan lifted her limp body into his arms.

      On the jet, Storm helped Logan fasten her down for the ride home.
      General Miller stood in the doorway watching them frantically prepare
      to take off.

      "I wish we could have gotten here sooner. This could have been
      avoided. We knew something was brewing when Stryker turned up alive
      and several soldiers began following him around. I am sorry for what
      happened and if we can do anything to help, please ask," Miller said.

      "Please find the antidote to the drug Stryker used in those bullets.
      That's all I ask of you right now," Jean said. "You know how to
      reach me at the Xavier School. We need to get her back there and try
      to stabilize her."

      "My men have already commandeered the installation and we will shut
      it down. I will find that information and get it to you
      immediately," Miller replied and he and his team were on the search
      for the information Jean required.

      "I am sorry," the General said.

      "It's not your fault," Jean said.

      Logan stood looking through the glass window of the hospital room.
      He stood expressionless – just staring. Marie touched his shoulder
      without any response from Logan. Scott and Storm came down the
      hall. Marie dropped away to speak with them.

      "The Professor is on his way. How is Logan doing?" Scott asked.

      "He's completely in shock. He just stares blankly through the
      window," Marie replied.

      At that moment, Jean opened the door. Logan snapped to attention.

      "I think you all better come in. I can't get her to stabilize or
      respond with anything I try. I don't think I can do any more.
      General Miller has not been able to locate any documentation on the
      composition of the drug. I am still running tests on it to figure
      out what it is and how to counteract it," she said of Danielle's
      impending death.

      Storm put her hand on Logan's shoulder feeling him shudder with fear.

      "Come on, Logan. We'll go with you," she said gently.

      Logan couldn't go near her. He began pacing wildly in the room.
      Scott pulled up a chair near the slab Danielle laid on offering it to
      Logan hoping he would sit down. Logan leaned against the wall facing
      it and he pounded his clenched fist on it expressing his anger.
      Scott put his hand on Logan's shoulder.

      "Come on, man. Talk to her. Let her hear your voice," Scott said.

      Logan hatefully looked at Scott, but his hate was with himself - not
      his comrade.

      "It's all my fault. I shouldn't have left her out of my sight. She
      feared this would happen," Logan sobbed.

      "Logan, you can't go and blame yourself for this," Scott said.

      "Logan, talk to her - it might be the only chance we have to get her
      back. You have to give her a reason to fight to survive. I can't
      reach her anymore," Jean said.

      The Professor rolled in just as Logan finally sat down taking her

      "Danielle, I … I would do anything to trade places with you now.
      I'd give anything, even my life, to bring you back," he said softly.

      Marie listened to her friend pour his heart out – her own heart
      breaking with the distress in his voice. Marie herself feared the
      loss of someone she had come to think of like a sister.

      "Danielle, I don't want you to leave me!" he said through sobs as he
      began to break down. Scott, Jean and Storm stood by his side trying
      to comfort him. This was one of those very rare moments when Logan
      showed emotion. Marie couldn't take it any more. She turned away as
      tears streamed down her face.

      "Rogue, oh my child. You have to be strong now. Maybe I can connect
      with her and lead her back," Charles said.

      Charles used his telepathy to try to reach her. Unable to do so,
      Rogue came up with a suggestion.

      "Professor, I want to try something. What if I can take Logan's
      powers to heal and give them to Danielle? Maybe his stronger ability
      to heal is what she needs and she won't die," Rogue proposed.

      Logan looked up shocked with the proposal.

      "Be a bridge between Logan and Danielle? Rogue, you must realize it
      would take extreme control on your part not to drain Logan – and for
      you to not absorb his powers yourself. This is a very dangerous
      proposition you make, but it could work," the professor pondered.

      "Logan and Danielle are my friends. We have to try," Marie said.

      "Do it. I don't care. Just save her, even if I die," Logan said.

      His love and loyalty to Danielle couldn't show through any stronger
      and it touched Jean most of all.

      "Logan, this could be dangerous for all three of you. I don't know
      what this could do to Danielle in her weakened state," Professor
      Xavier said.

      Jean watched as Danielle's vitals began falling off.

      "She's dying anyway. Take my powers to heal and save her," Logan

      Sitting down beside Logan and Danielle, Rogue ungloved her hands. At
      the same time, she took both Logan's and Danielle's hands. As the
      Professor honed into Rogue's mind, he helped her control her powers –
      tempering how much she pulled on Logan's power to heal and
      transferred it to Danielle.

      Storm, Jean, Scott, and Bobby stood back and watched as Logan, Rogue
      and the professor concentrated on the endeavor. Within a few
      moments, the veins in Logan's face began to protrude, as Rogue was
      taking on his powers – pulling his healing abilities from him. Rogue
      listened to the professor as he spoke to her silently through his
      telepathy – she lessened her grip on Logan and within seconds the
      wounds on Danielle's body began to heal. Jean began watching the
      monitors as Danielle's vitals strengthened. Rogue and Logan dropped
      away falling to the ground stunned from the joining. Jean moved her
      attentions to stabilize Logan and Rogue. Then, Danielle was
      beginning to show further signs of recovery as her vitals
      strengthened more. Storm shouted that the gamble worked.

      Logan was stretched out on an examination slab next to Danielle
      recovering from the endeavor that weakened him. He opened his eyes
      to see Rogue and Jean at his side. Jean stood by watching the
      monitors on both Logan and Danielle.

      "Did it work? I'm not dead," he asked.

      "She's coming around. It might be a while before we know for sure.
      Her vitals are strong, but she's not out of danger," Jean replied

      Logan closed his eyes relieved with a little bit of hope. Jean
      placed Logan close to Danielle, who took Danielle's hand watching
      anxiously for her to awaken. Jean finally was contacted by General
      Miller with the full composition of the drug – Jean created an
      antidote and that coupled with what Logan and Marie did seemed enough
      to keep her fighting for life.

      It was hours before she began to stir. As she fully awakened, Logan

      "Hey, beautiful," Logan said to Danielle.

      Danielle shook her head trying to comprehend where she was.

      "How are you feeling?" Jean asked.

      "Fantastic," she replied.

      Jean giggled recalling how Logan said that same very thing one time
      before when he had saved Marie.

      "Where are Danielle and Marie?" Logan asked.

      Jean looked at him puzzled.

      "Danielle's not with you? She told me she was going to be with you
      in case I needed to check up on her," Jean replied.

      Jean, Scott and Logan walked down to the kitchen hearing a lot of
      commotion. Several of the children were gathered in a tight group
      and giggling. The adults peeked in from around the corner. There
      were the two missing women. Both of them were sitting at the table
      in blue jeans and white tee shirts, a bottle of whiskey sat on the
      table between them and both were smoking cigars and talking with
      plenty of obsenities.

      "Oh, Christ. Isn't one of him enough?" Scott said sarcastically.

      Danielle and Marie turned around hearing Scott's comments.

      "Ya addressin' us, One Eye?" Danielle said in a rather drunken

      Logan tried very hard to restrain his laughter.

      "Hey, there's my stud muffin. Come ova' here and sit on my lap,"
      Danielle said.

      Logan walked over.

      "Yer drunk and ya took my last two cigars," he snidely remarked.

      "And yer point is, bub?" Danielle replied.

      Now the joke was on Logan and Scott and Jean tried to hold their
      laughter. Storm walked in seeing the situation.

      "Oh, lord. This is out of hand, now," she said.

      "Hey, ya know I can get used to this stuff," Marie said holding up
      the bottle of whiskey.

      "Yer too young for this," Logan said trying to get the bottle away.

      Jean could see he was going to have his hands full dealing with two
      women who had taken on some of his personality traits.

      "Is this all because of Marie bridging Logan and Danielle?" Storm

      "Apparently it was like a chain reaction. Logan shares with Marie,
      who takes his gift to heal and some of his personality, as we had
      seen before, and then she shares these with Danielle – not only
      healing her but sharing his personality too," Jean tried to explain.

      "Logan, are you going to need help?" Storm asked as they all watched
      him trying to take the whiskey bottle away from Marie, who tossed it
      to Danielle.

      He was growing very frustrated as they kept passing it back and forth
      avoiding his grasp.

      "I'll manage," he gruffly replied.

      "Didn't I make it a rule, Logan, not to smoke in the house?" the
      Professor said as he rolled into the kitchen.

      "It's not my fault!" Logan strongly answered.

      The professor witnessed for himself the chaos of Danielle and Marie
      acting like Logan and couldn't help but giggle softly under his

      "Getting a real taste of his own medicine, I see," Charles said.

      Logan wanted to roar with anger and frustration in dealing with the
      two women. As he confiscated the whiskey bottle finally, Danielle
      was pinching his backside like a drunk guy at a bar. Scott lost it
      and bust out laughing. Logan whirled around and glared angrily at
      him and then looked down to Danielle, who batted her big brown eyes
      at him. She stood up before him and quickly pushed him against the
      table. Danielle leaned into him bending him back over the table.
      She was getting a little too aggressive and suggestive for his liking.

      "Guess he don't like being taken advantage of," Scott snickered.

      "Sure I do, just not in front of the entire school," Logan retorted.

      Bobby finally entered the room and saw Marie fondling Logan as
      Danielle held him down.

      "Christ, Bobby. Put a leash on Marie," Logan snarled.

      Bobby gently pulled Marie away and she wrapped her gloved arms around
      his neck.

      "Man, what have you been drinkin'? And, yer smokin' cigars too?"
      Bobby asked.

      "It's just after effects of melding with Logan," Jean said.

      "That explains this obnoxious behavior," Bobby replied.