Fic: Only a Dream (S/J, PG)

  • loonylittlewitch
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2003
      Title: Only a Dream
      Author: Lisea (loonylittlewitch@...)
      Author's website: http://www.freewebs.com/draakkon
      Paring: S/J
      Rating: PG
      Notes: Thanks to my beta.

      ***

      The bedroom shakes again.

      I wake up, turn and shake her shoulder. There's a heavy framed
      picture over the headboard of the bed. I should take it down, she
      might shake it down on us one night.

      "Jean?"

      She stirs, and a flower vase on the nightstand is nearly dropping off.

      "Jean!"

      She opens her eyes, looks at me, then looks around to get herself
      back to reality.

      "Scott?"

      She touches me, moves her hand along the side of my face.

      "Another nightmare?" I ask, but I already know the answer. The look
      in her eyes breaks my heart. She nods and moves against my chest,
      sliding her arms around my waist. I hold her close, feel tears on my
      skin. "Want to tell me?" I ask quietly, altough I know she never
      wants to.

      "It's nothing" She says, raises her head and looks at me, tried to
      smile.

      "Yeah, right" I leave it at that. No reason to push, I'd rather hear
      it from her in her own time.

      "It's just..." she sighs, wipes her face. "I don't know."

      "Come here" I say, and pull her against my chest as I lay down. I
      stroke her hair and face, make soft noices to let her know she's
      safe. I feel her relaxing, her fingers start moving up and down on my
      arm.

      "It's you" she whispers, I can barely hear her. "I see you, firing at
      me."

      That punches me in the gut. I gently roll her on her back, and stare
      deep into her eyes, even though I know she can't see mine. "I would
      never hurt you. You know that."

      "I know that."

      "It's just a dream. That's all. I'd never hurt you" I say, lay my
      head next to hers, slide an arm around her waist and hold on to her,
      like to a lifeline. "Go back to sleep. I'm here, I'll keep you safe."

      I feel her hand over my heart, she sighs and closes her eyes.

      I listen to her breathing

      ...And try to convince myself that it was only a dream.