X2: These Aren't the Droids (1/1) PG-13, ensemble

  • C. Elisa

      Disclaimer: The X-Men belong to Marvel Comics and Fox Entertainment. Nothing to see here.

      Author's Note: Thanks to Te for suggesting a structural change.

      These Aren't the Droids

      by C. Elisa

      Kurt sat on the sofa, his head buried in his hands. "I cannot believe I showed my face in front of the Superintendent of Schools. I have only been here for three weeks, and already I have destroyed everything the Professor has built."

      John, standing behind him, pointed to his head and mouthed _Hide the knives._ Which was _not_ funny, but Rogue had to cover her mouth anyway. John assumed an innocent expression as Kurt turned to look at him.

      "Just relax, okay?" Bobby said. "It's not that big a deal. Kitty walked through a wall in front of the last guy three years ago, and we hardly even tease her about it anymore."

      "If she did that, how is it that the school has not already been closed down?"

      "'Cause when we fuck up, the Professor just brainwashes 'em!" John waved a finger slowly from side to side, making his eyes wide. "'No mutants to see here... these aren't the droids you're looking for....'"

      "As far as I know, there's no law against running a school for mutants," the Superintendent said. "But you've been deceiving parents -- lying your way through the accreditation process -- "

      "That's quite true," Xavier said calmly.

      "You don't bother denying it."

      "What would be the point of that? You've found us out. Is there anything I could say now that would keep you from having my students declared truant?"

      "No, Professor Xavier, I can't say that there is."

      "Then the best thing I can do for them is help you to ease their transition to a more conventional environment. A few of my students have parents elsewhere that they can return to, but I imagine the majority of them will soon be placed at Salem Center High School. I'd like to call your attention to a few of the more problematic cases now, so that you can begin to prepare." He pulled a sheaf of folders out of a desk drawer, sorted through them, and opened one. "For example, Wanda Maximoff, who is a sophomore now, came to us after a regrettable event in which she turned her previous school's gymnastics teacher into a goldfish. We suspect she may simply have caused him to manifest some previously latent mutant power, but until the exact nature of her gifts can be determined, I would recommend having a bucket of fresh water placed in each classroom. This may also be of some help to you in dealing with our pyrokinetic, St. John Allerdyce, who returned to us recently after the terrorist cell he was part of found him impossible to control...."

      Rogue rolled her eyes. "Will you two just stop it? Kurt, don't listen to them. The Professor doesn't go around mind controlling everybody right and left. He's not *like* that." She glanced at John, suddenly uncertain. "Is he?"

      "I'm *telling* you. He's evil."

      --
      http://www.livejournal.com/~c_elisa
      http://c-elisa.slashcity.org