"Happier Times" (1/1) - G - Kurt/Ororo - X2

  • lifefromfire
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25 9:31 PM
      DISCLAIMER: Don't own 'em. Look to Marvel for that.
      I'm just writing little extra thoughts that no one will
      understand if they don't see the flick, so I'm not really
      taking anything from you. And there's not much you could
      get from me...

      RATING: G

      PAIRING: Kurt/Ororo

      SPOILERS: Vague ones.

      FEEDBACK: Is always adored and frequently spawns
      further bunnies.

      DISTRIBUTION: Want it? Take it, just remember to give
      me credit and include my e-mail addy. Also available at my
      site, Obsidian Quills:
      http://www.angelfire.com/realm/obsidianquills/index.html

      SUMMARY: Ororo and Kurt discuss changes in their
      circumstances.

      THANKS: To my beta, kaly, who has been amazingly
      accommodating throughout this rush of fic.

      * * -- emphasis
      _ _ -- thoughts

      ---------------
      Happier Times
      by Nix
      keparker@...
      ---------------

      Ororo was sitting on a stone bench, watching Kurt play
      some sort of tag with the children, when Professor Xavier
      pulled up next to her. They were playing "with powers",
      which made it the strangest game she'd ever seen.

      Kurt seemed to be disappearing and reappearing at random.
      So far the only one who'd caught him was a little girl with
      blond pigtails and about 15 seconds of prescience. Evan
      and Jesse had just teamed up, though, and between one's
      enhanced spatial awareness and the other's superspeed, they
      were giving Kurt a real run for his money.

      "He makes them forget they're training," Charles said,
      smiling.

      "Are they?" Ororo asked, taking another look. "I thought it
      was a game."

      "It is. But those are also the students I sent to Kurt for help
      controlling their powers."

      "I've forgotten what Nadia's mutation is," Ororo said. She
      nodded towards a brunette teenager bearing a fierce scowl,
      who made no attempt to run after the others.

      "She's telekinetic," the Professor reminded. "And
      potentially quite powerful, if she'd just learn to
      concentrate."

      Ororo laughed softly. "She certainly seems to be
      concentrating now."

      The words had no sooner left her mouth than Nadia darted
      over to tag Kurt, who she'd frozen in place. The look of
      surprise on Kurt's face was downright comical. "Got you,"
      Nadia said smugly.

      "So you did," Kurt nodded, eyes twinkling. "Which
      means...you're it!"

      "Isn't that backwards?" Ororo wondered aloud even as the
      chase went on.

      "They learn more by chasing than they do by being
      chased," Charles explained. "Watch. Kurt will catch her
      soon enough." And he did, though the tap of victory was
      almost apologetic. Still, Kurt's quick recovery seemed only
      to energize the students.

      "It's strange," she said, watching the game. "It seems like
      one moment he was new and different, and the next
      everyone was taking him for granted."

      "I suspect we all turned inward in our grief," Charles
      murmured. "Kurt made a place for himself while you,
      Scott, Logan, even myself were...looking the other way."

      "I'm glad he's here. The students need light like that in their
      lives."

      Xavier caught her eye. "They aren't the only ones."

      Ororo only shook her head. "I'm not one of your children
      anymore, Charles," she said gently.

      "Does that mean I'm not allowed to worry about you?"
      Charles asked, and smiled. "I shall find it difficult to stop."
      As he spoke the game of tag dispersed and Kurt caught
      sight of the two of them. Waving to his students, he made
      his way across the lawn.

      "Guten Tag, Ororo," Kurt said and then, with a respectful
      nod, "Professor."

      "Good afternoon, Kurt," Ororo responded. Looking up into
      his sparkling eyes, she couldn't help but smile. "Who won
      the game?"

      He waved dismissively but grinned at the same time. "They
      were all caught once. It must have been a tie."

      Ororo arched an eyebrow. "As I recall, *you* were caught
      three times." She hardly even noticed when Professor
      Xavier quietly moved on.

      Instead of making a return quip, Kurt's smile dimmed a
      little. "I have had more than enough practice."

      "I'm sorry, Kurt," Ororo said, concealing a wince. _How
      insensitive,_ she chided herself. "I didn't mean to unearth
      bad memories."

      But he was shaking his head. "It's not that," the German
      said, and seated himself on the bench beside her. He curled
      one foot underneath himself but left the other to dangle
      alongside his tail. "It is just that in Munich, in the circus,
      my abilities were a part of my act." Kurt smiled, but it was
      a distant smile. Wistful. "This was some time ago. Before
      knowledge of mutants was widespread. People didn't know
      what I was, when they saw me in the act. It was just a good
      trick, then." He half shrugged. "I was remembering happier
      times."

      Ororo couldn't help feeling a swell of something very like
      jealousy. _Aren't *these* supposed to be the happier
      times?_ she wondered. _The 'good guys' won. The
      President is making his decisions on a more informed basis,
      if nothing else. And we have the school..._

      _On the other hand, we lost Jean. And John, in a way.
      Magneto is out in the world again. Despite all our work,
      we're still hated and feared._

      Aloud, she asked, "Isn't it better not to have to hide?" But
      Ororo wasn't certain of the answer herself.

      Kurt only laughed. "You think that when I go out there," he
      waved at the school gates, "that I don't hide this?" Now he
      gestured towards his own visage. He paused, and a strange
      sort of peace fell over him. One of his fingers brushed the
      rosary he wore always at his waist before he went on. "I
      will always have to hide, mein Fruend. That much progress
      cannot be made in one lifetime."

      "Somehow I never thought of that," Ororo said, and found
      that she couldn't meet Kurt's eyes. She looked out over the
      lawn instead, though it was empty now.

      A thick, warm finger brushed her cheek lightly, prompting
      Ororo to lift her dark eyes to meet Kurt's golden ones. "And
      that is why I like you so much," he said, eyes twinkling
      once again.

      "I suppose I wish you could be happy here," Ororo
      murmured.

      "Did I say I wasn't?"

      Her brow wrinkled. "You said 'happier times.'"

      Kurt chuckled. "I didn't say what they were happier than,
      did I?" Ororo could only shake her head, a smile creeping
      onto her own lips. He all but bounced to his feet. "Here I
      have a captive audience," Kurt waved towards the school,
      obviously meaning the students, "and a beautiful woman
      with an amazing tolerance for my excesses." Now he
      placed a hand over his heart and swept a bow. "What more
      does a man need?" And then he vanished, literally in a puff
      of sulfur-smelling smoke.

      Ororo smiled, though there was no one left to see.
      "Running again, Kurt?"

      --End--