"Debut" (1/1) - G - Kurt - X2

  • lifefromfire
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14, 2003
      DISCLAIMER: Don't own 'em. Look to Marvel for
      that. I'm just writing little extra thoughts that no one
      will understand if they don't see the flick, so I'm not
      really taking anything from TPTB. And there's not
      much anyone could get from me.

      RATING: G

      SPOILERS: A big one for the end of the flick.

      THANKS: To kaly, of course. You're so good to me,
      even when I forget to tell people that...

      FEEDBACK: Please? Not that I'm going to stop
      writing if I don't get any, but it'd be kind of nice to
      know if anyone besides me is enjoying these things...

      DISTRIBUTION: Want it? Take it, just remember to
      give me credit and include my e-mail addy. Also
      available at my site, Obsidian Quills:
      http://www.angelfire.com/realm/obsidianquills/index.
      html

      SUMMARY: Kind of a sequel to "And Life Goes
      On". Kurt teaches his first class at the school.

      * * -- emphasis
      _ _ -- thoughts/German

      ---------------
      Debut
      by Nix
      keparker@...
      ---------------

      Kurt spent a long time preparing for his first class. It
      wasn't a new class, as the Professor had half
      suggested. The students had to finish those that had
      been interrupted before new courses could be added
      to the curriculum. Which meant that Kurt was going
      to be teaching the last two months of Jean's
      mathematics class.

      He didn't need to prepare a lesson plan. Jean had been
      well ahead. But that didn't mean he took any less time
      getting ready. These students had lost a teacher, a
      mentor. Many of them would still be grieving now,
      more than a week later. He had to be sensitive to that.
      They might resent him for replacing her. They might
      resent him for other reasons, as well.

      Perhaps it was best that there was little about him to
      remind them of Jean. Still, he stood for a long time in
      front of his closet, deciding whether or play up his
      differences or conceal them. It was Professor Xavier's
      suggestion that he might help teach the children
      tolerance that decided him.

      So he chose two of the newer garments instead of the
      uniformly worn and over-large clothes that
      constituted his old wardrobe. A white dress shirt and
      cinnamon brown pants, both fetched from an ordinary
      mall, thanks to Ororo. He'd had to sew a hole into the
      seat of the pants, but otherwise they fit quite well.

      For a moment Kurt debated rolling up the sleeves of
      the shirt, but eventually ruled against it. He went
      barefoot, of course. There wasn't a pair of shoes in
      existence that would accommodate his feet, though at
      one time he'd gone through dozens of styles,
      searching.

      Glancing in the mirror, Kurt had to grin at himself.
      Shoes! That would be the last thing they'd notice.

      Running a hand briefly through his hair, Kurt
      gathered up a sheaf of papers and a box of chalk. The
      halls of the mansion were quiet at the moment.
      Everyone was still in the previous class. The room
      Kurt would be using was empty, so he laid out the
      papers on the desk at the front. _Should I write my
      name on the board?_ he wondered for a moment, and
      then snorted at himself in amusement.

      There was no bell, but as the hour ticked over
      students began filing into the room. One by one they
      would turn and catch sight of him, their mouths
      falling open in little O's of surprise or amazement. To
      their credit, there was no horror there, though Kurt
      did catch a moment or two of fear. Two of the
      students recognized him from the rescue and smiled.
      He smiled and nodded back.

      And then, of course, there were the whispers. Most of
      them too quiet to hear, but one or two rose
      inadvertently loud.

      "Who *is* that?"

      "Never mind who, *what* is that?"

      "Geez, the professor's really digging up all the
      freaks..."

      Kurt ignored the comments. He'd been expecting
      them. They'd been following him for most of his life,
      but they always died down eventually. It just took
      time. _Or distance,_ Kurt couldn't help reminding
      himself, but he wasn't planning on running. Yet.

      When the last desk was filled, Kurt spoke. "My name
      is Kurt Wagner. I will be teaching you mathematics
      for the remainder of the course." The oblique
      reminder that Jean would not be there subdued most
      of them, though it had been unintentional. "I
      understand you were just beginning trigonometry."

      He lifted a piece of chalk and turned to write on the
      board. A hushed gasp told him that the students had
      just caught sight of his tail. "Cool..." one boy
      breathed. Kurt grinned to himself and raised the
      chalk, only to realize he hadn't brought the paper he'd
      need to copy from. Not bothering to turn, he lifted it
      with his tail and brought it around in front of him.

      "Oh, neat," another student murmured. Kurt's smile
      widened even as he began writing.

      Of course, it was a given what would happen the first
      time he asked for questions. Every hand in the class
      shot up. Still, he folded his arms and shook his head
      sadly. "Either I am not a very good teacher," he said,
      mock mournfully, "or you are not asking about
      trigonometry." A few students actually chuckled.
      None of the hands went down. Kurt pointed to a boy
      near the front of the class.

      The student didn't even make an attempt at tact.
      "Were you born like that, or did it just kinda...happen
      one day?"

      "I was born as you see," Kurt said calmly.

      "And your parents didn't, like, wig out?" a girl asked,
      wide-eyed.

      Kurt had to work at his smile for that one. "_Ja_, I
      suppose they did," he said. "My adoptive parents
      found me floating down the river, so it is not likely
      that my birth parents reacted well."

      "Oh." The girl looked really sorry and kind of shrank
      back into her seat.

      "It is okay," Kurt waved dismissivly. "My adoptive
      parents are good people. I love them very much, and
      they took very good care of me. I cannot regret
      having them."

      Most of the hands had gone down, but one girl was
      still hanging on. Kurt nodded to her. "So," she asked,
      "what did you do before Professor Xavier found
      you?"

      Kurt brightened. "I was in the Munich circus."
      Everyone laughed, apparently thinking he was joking.
      Kurt shook his head. "I was! They called me the
      incredible Nightcrawler," he said, and swept a bow,
      "and I was their best trapeze artist." A few new hands
      went up, but Kurt shook his head. "I am thinking you
      are not asking about trigonometry," he said, smiling.
      "We must get back to the lesson."

      All but one of the hands went down, but when Kurt
      warily nodded to the boy in the back, the question
      really was about trig. Kurt answered as best he could,
      and the lesson went on.

      _I don't think teaching is going to be as hard as I
      feared._

      --End--
    • morrigan_100
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2003
        Very, very nice fic with great Kurt characterization. I really
        enjoyed reading it. I hope you'll write more.

        Morrigan