"And Life Goes On" (1/1) - G - Kurt - X2

  • lifefromfire
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12, 2003
      DISCLAIMER: Don't own 'em. Look to Marvel for that.
      I'm just writing little extra thoughts that no one will
      understand if they don't see the flick, so I'm not really
      taking anything from you. And there's not much you could
      get from me...

      RATING: G

      SPOILERS: Not really.

      FEEDBACK: I wouldn't mind...<grins> This is my second
      attempt at Nightcrawler, written just hours after the first
      and without the benefit of community criticism of the first.

      DISTRIBUTION: Want it? Take it, just remember to give
      me credit and include my e-mail addy. Also available at my
      site, Obsidian Quills:
      http://www.angelfire.com/realm/obsidianquills/index.html

      SUMMARY: Set after the movie is over. What happens to
      Kurt now?

      * * -- emphasis
      _ _ -- German

      ---------------
      And Life Goes On
      by Nix
      keparker@...
      ---------------

      Kurt Wager crouched in a chair in Charles Xavier's office.
      It was high backed and made of wood. Not at all a
      comfortable chair for a man with a tail and a habit of sitting
      on his haunches. Kurt's tail curved around, over his thigh
      and hooked around his ankle. It was the most comfortable
      position he could find for it.

      "Well," Xavier said thoughtfully. "Circumstances have
      made my original purpose for sending Storm and...Jean to
      find you superfluous. If you wish, I will have Ororo fly you
      back to Boston. It's the least we can do, after all you've
      done to help us."

      "_Nein_," Kurt gestured. "You owe me nothing. If
      anything, you gave me the chance to make up for my
      actions against the President. The damage I might have
      done," he shook his head slowly. "It does not bear
      imagining."

      "Kurt," Charles said gently, "you're not responsible for that
      attack. You were used. You were a weapon in Stryker's
      hand."

      "I might be a weapon to Stryker," Kurt said, "but *I* know
      that I am more than that. I may not have been in control
      then, but I was *there*, and I must bear responsibility the
      same as any who stood by. I choose to take this as a
      lesson."

      Charles leaned forward a little. "A lesson?" he inquired.

      Kurt smiled, his teeth startlingly white against his midnight
      blue skin. "It is dangerous to give up control of your own
      life. Someone might step up to fill the gap. We are meant to
      make our own way. I needed to be reminded of that."

      Xavier smiled and leaned back into his chair. "As I said,
      you are free to return home, but...I hope you will stay. At
      least for awhile."

      "Why?" Kurt asked, startled. "I am not one of your 'X-
      Men', and I am too old to be a student."

      "If you wish to take classes," Charles said, eyes twinkling,
      "there is no reason age should be a barrier. But I was rather
      hoping you'd be interested in teaching."

      "Teaching? What would I teach?"

      "Philosophy, perhaps," Xavier suggested. "German, if
      you're interested. Physical education. Control, for those
      students with similar abilities." He hesitated. "Mostly, I
      was hoping you'd be willing to help the children learn
      tolerance. How to see with more than just their eyes."
      Charles tilted his head and his gaze suddenly seemed
      sharper to Kurt. Deeper. "You have remarkably bright
      thoughts, Mr. Wagner. If I had had time to think about it,
      I'd have expected them to be more weighed down. More
      bitter."

      Kurt waved a three-fingered hand. "The world is a fantastic
      place, Professor Xavier," he said. "Things are changing so
      fast. Dreams are coming true every day. New possibilities
      are opening up every moment. How could I not wish to see
      where they lead?"

      Charles smiled. "*That's* why I want you to stay. That
      kind of excitement is all too rare these days."

      "Ahh, excitement." Kurt's eyes twinkled. "*That* is
      something I know how to share. You know, in the Munich
      circus I was known as the incredible Nightcrawler!"

      --End--