[ADMIN] F.A.Q. (new members must read before posting)

  • Minisinoo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 12, 2003
      WELCOME to all the newbies! Wow. Another 50+ members since last
      Monday. For just a bit, I'll be posting the FAQ weekly, since we're
      growing in leaps and bounds. Please DO read this before posting.
      One addition since the last posting, with regard to our Database for
      Beta Readers.

      --Minisinoo
      Co-Mod, XMMFF
      ---------------

      X-MEN MOVIE FANFIC LIST -- FAQ
      Version 3.0

      X-Men Movie Fanfic (or XMMFF) is devoted to fanfiction set within the
      universe of the X-Men movies: X1, X2, X3 and any spinoff films (e.g.,
      Wolverine).

      ----------------------------

      1. What's allowed?
      2. What's not allowed?
      3. No comic universe fic?
      4. How do I label my stories?
      5. Where do I find the stories?
      6. Can I put these stories up on my website?
      7. Feedback? What's that?
      8. Can I upload to the Files and Photos Section?
      9. How do I get a beta reader to edit my story?
      10. Who are the boss people around here?

      -----------------------------

      1. WHAT'S ALLOWED?

      A) Fiction based on the X-world of the films -- any genre, rating,
      pairing (or none). Unfinished works are permitted, but please
      so-indicate in your story notes, as some readers prefer to wait for a
      story to be completed before starting in to read it. Crossovers are
      also permitted.

      B) Public feedback and discussion of posted stories is once again
      permitted. This rule has gone through waves. Originally, the list
      allowed public feedback, then due to the sheer volume of daily posts,
      discussion and feedback was asked to be taken to our sister
      discussion list (xmenmoviefanficdisc@yahoogroups.com). But in the
      past year, traffic has been extremely light, so we're revoking the
      "stories only" rule. If, however, things turn heavy enough to start
      swamping mailboxes, we reserve the right to return to a "Fic Only"
      policy.

      If you're sending feedback on a story, it'd be helpful to place
      "[FB]" in the subject header. Also, simplifying the subject to title
      and author would be appreciated. ALL feedback will be assumed to
      contain possible spoilers, so please don't read a feedback letter on
      a story you haven't read yet and complain about spoilers. Likewise,
      any fiction based on a movie installment may be assumed to contain
      spoilers for that movie. (In short, if you haven't seen X2 yet and
      you read fic about it, YES, you might be spoiled.)

      Please do NOT post heavily critical feedback onlist, unless the
      author has specified that such feedback is welcome.

      C) Posts concerning fanfic matters (such as fanfic contests), as well
      as archive announcements and site changes may be posted. Please
      indiate such posts with a [META] in front of them.

      2. WHAT'S NOT ALLOWED?

      A) GENERAL DISCUSSION OF THE MOVIE(S) is not allowed. This is not
      the place for X2 (or X1, or X3, or ...) film reviews, discussion of
      the characters, the actors, the director, or possible sequels.

      Please don't post an introductory "Hi, I'm new." We're delighted to
      have you and glad you're enthusiastic, but this list has over 700
      members and is edging towards 800. PLEASE keep that in mind, or
      other list members might cheerfully skin you. :-)

      B) Flames of any kind are absolutely forbidden. Goes without saying,
      but I'll say it anyway. You flame, we'll boot you, do not pass go,
      do not collect $200. What's a flame? An ad hominem or personal
      attack on another list member, or a post containing vitriolic
      hostility towards an author, a story, a character, a pairing, etc.

      C) No virus warnings, get rich quick schemes, cookie recipes and
      anything about a sick boy who wants 5,000 greeting cards before he
      dies is not a message for this list. Also, one line "me too"s and
      off topic discussions that go on and on are frowned upon. Basically,
      if your message is only for one or two people, please mail it to
      those people.

      3. NO COMIC UNIVERSE (Comicverse) FIC?

      This particular list is for movieverse fiction only. There ARE
      already three big (and several smaller, more specific) lists that
      permit comicverse fiction. Try the very large X-Fiction, on yahoo
      groups; the "mother list" of comicbook fanfic, OutsideTheLines, on
      Topica.com; or if you're into Ultimate X-Men, Ultimatexfic, on yahoo
      groups. They will all welcome your comicverse story. But the only
      comicverse permitted here would be a crossover with the movieverse.
      (If you wish links to the above groups, please check the version of
      the FAQ in the files section.)

      4. HOW DO I LABEL MY STORIES?

      Any story should be labled in the subject line something like this...

      "Every Time" (1/3) Rogue [NC-17], X1
      "Streaked Glasses" (1/1) Scott, X2

      Let readers know the title, what part you're posting, the main
      character/s (optional) and a a rating or warning for adult material.
      (See comments below about warnings.) Unfinished stories are welcome,
      but should be labeled as such. PLEASE, at this point in time, label
      whether a story fits into X1 continuity only, or fits into X2
      continuity. There are some big, honkin' surprises in X2, and people
      who haven't seen the movie yet may wish to avoid reading fiction
      about it.

      At the beginning of the story, please include the following:

      Title, author, (brief) summary, and a standard disclaimer. Brief
      notes are allowed, but if your story has a lot of notes, you may wish
      to post the notes separately, labeled as (0/4), or "Notes." Many
      readers find The Endless Notes headers to be off-putting.

      If you're posting a story (or story chapter) that has adult elements
      (e.g. extreme violence, graphic sex, or disturbing topics), please
      post a WARNING or a rating in your subject header -- "adult," "R," or
      "NC-17." I, myself, don't hold with the rating system, don't use it,
      and so can hardly ask others to. But due to the fact there are
      underage members on this list, as well as members who may wish to
      avoid such stories, please use some manner of warning system for
      adult material.

      If your story is archived on your site or elsewhere, why not post the
      direct URL? Quite a few readers prefer reading HTML versions.

      You may also add a statement regarding the archivability of your fic.
      Unless you state otherwise, anything posted to this group is free
      game for DevilDoll to take for her archive. If you want a different
      version of your story on the archive, it's your responsibility to
      contact the archivists, and if you can send them a version that's
      already HTMLized, they'll probably kiss you for saving them work.
      (See below for contact information.)

      5. WHERE DO I FIND PREVIOUSLY POSTED STORIES?

      You can run a search on the group by title. There are also a couple
      of old archives. First is the previous (now defunct) archive for
      this group (http://www.geocities.com/xmenmoviefanfic/index2.html); it
      has no fiction written after about June of 2001. Then there's
      Kielle's first archive, X-Men Movieverse Fanfiction
      (http://www.xmmff.com), which was taken over by Vic and is now being
      run by DevilDoll, the current archive associated with this group,
      though it doesn't contain any stories written since about November of
      2000. They plan to change that realsoonnow.

      IF YOU'D BE WILLING TO WORK ON THE ARCHIVE, please contact DevilDoll.
      Maybe you're not a writer, but would like to get involved somehow?
      Archive assistance is one of the things that movieverse fanfic badly
      needs!

      6. CAN I PUT THESE STORIES UP ON MY WEBSITE?

      Not unless you contact the author for her/his permission first, you
      can't. Some people will grant blanket archiving permission for their
      stories, but it'd probably still be polite to contact the author, if
      your archive isn't the group archive.

      7. FEEDBACK? WHAT'S THAT?

      It's the lifeblood of fan fiction. If you liked, loved, or even were
      mildly amused by a story, PLEASE drop the author a line. We writers
      put hours and hours into writing these stories that everyone gets
      free of charge. It's depressing as hell to send it out and not know
      if anyone read it, let alone liked it. Even better are the e-mails
      that tell us what you like, specifically, what lines made you laugh,
      what sections were unclear, what dialogue made you choke on your soda
      etc.

      8. CAN I UPLOAD TO THE FILES AND PHOTOS SECTION?

      Due to problems with people joining the group and uploading porn and
      links to porn sites, we will now be controlling the files section
      fairly closely. You may not upload files or photos without
      permission. (It probably won't be hard to GET permission, but please
      email us first.) And if you add your site to the Links section, it's
      your responsibility to keep it current, and I will be checking to
      make sure we don't have links to advertizement and porn sites.

      9. HOW DO I GET A BETA READER TO EDIT MY STORY?? (And what IS a beta
      reader?)

      A "beta reader" is common "fanfic-ese" for someone who performs
      anything from a hard edit to a simple read-through for sense and flow
      on your story. Over time, writers often develop relationships with
      one another, or with a favorite reader, but when just breaking into
      fanfic (or into a new fandom), it can be difficult to find a beta
      reader. SO, we've created a Database of individuals who are willing
      to beta read, or at least be consulted for information:

      Do you need a beta reader? Well, you're asking the wrong person. As
      a professional author, I think everyone needs an editor/beta reader.
      I've been publishing 17 years and I have one. Finding a beta reader
      can be tough, it's true, but most of us can use a spell-checker and
      be careful of our formatting. Stories that are difficult to read
      often aren't read -- especially if there are a lot of stories out
      there.

      10. WHO ARE THE BOSS PEOPLE AROUND HERE?

      Ah -- that'd be Victoria P. (victoria_p@...), or me (Minisinoo,
      minisinoo@...). Devil Doll (devildoll@xmmff) is in charge of
      our archive. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact
      one of us.

      (FAQ originally written 7/18/00 by Kate Andrews. Current version
      modified 5/4/2003 by Minisinoo, based on Shana Nolan's FAQ of 2001.)

      http://search.yahoo.com
    • Minisinoo
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2003
        Our list is now over 900 members, and we keep growing! I'll continue
        to post this about once a week until numbers level off, then reduce
        it to once a month. An HTML version of the FAQ can always be found
        in the Files section.
        -----

[...]

        have you and glad you're enthusiastic, but this list has over 900
        members. PLEASE keep that in mind, or other list members might
[...]

        character/s (optional) and a rating or warning for adult material.
[...]

        though it doesn't contain any X1 stories written since about November
        of 2000. They plan to change that realsoonnow, and they're actively
        keeping up with X2.