FIC: An Unexpected Visitor, (NC-17) 11/?

  • Henrika
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2003
      Look for story information in part 1.

      Chapter 11

      Jean lunged at Hannibal Lecter from her chair behind the desk.
      - What? she almost screamed and grabbed his shoulders brutally
      without thinking. Some papers lying on the table gently fell to the
      floor because of the sudden draft.
      - I have found the error, he replied calmly as he broke free from
      her spasmodic grip. If you'd calm down and listen to what I have to
      say, we might make this work.
      Jean realized what she was doing, and was suddenly terribly ashamed
      of her behaviour. He backed one step and raised her hands.
      - I apologize, she said quickly. I... I don't know what came over
      me. I'm sorry. But... have you really found something? she then
      asked, partly curious, partly doubtful.
      - Yes, sit down, doctor Lecter replied without looking at Jean,
      gesturing at her to sit down. He searched amongst the huge amount of
      papers after that which made him see the error in her research.
      Jean pulled out a chair and sat down opposite him.
      - I'm listening, she said excitedly. Tell me.
      Doctor Lecter shaped his mouth to an "o" as he slowly turned the
      papers and regarded them with his intense, piercing look. Finally he
      turned to face Jean.
      - The molecule structure is the mistake, he informed her.
      Jean scowled. - No, impossible. That can't be it. It can't be the
      formula, I have...
      - This drug, Hannibal interrupted, is a racemic mixture of
      enantiomers, right?
      Jean nodded. - Yes, why?
      Hannibal picked up a paper with the active molecule's structural
      formula.
      - This is the error, he said simply. Look here, Jean.
      He put the paper on the table before her, and held his finger over
      the sketch of the molecule.
      - This is the active enantiomer, right? he asked.
      - Yes, of course.
      - Very well. But then there is this one. Its optical isomer.
      With a light hand - and only a few motions - he drew a quick, but
      yet a very clear sketch of the molecule, although its mirror image.
      It was the D-form of the molecule, the one that was inefficient
      against Rogue's power, but instead made her ill.
      - This molecule is chiral, doctor Lecter continued. Do you realize
      now, Jean? This enantiomer is the one you should manufacture -
      without its optical isomer. Without the D-form. It makes her ill. She
      only needs the L-form. You shouldn't produce this drug as a racemic
      mixture.
      Jean took the paper where he'd drawn the sketch of the unwanted
      molecule, and studied it for a few minutes, silently. She tried to
      understand what he had said, and simultaneously realize how he could
      have figured it out so quickly. But she could not deny that his
      conclusion made sense.
      Of course! How could she have missed such an obvious thing?
      Yes, she was a good doctor, and a decent biochemist, but she was
      not always very sharp-sighted.
      She decided that it was more normal *not* to have seen it for five
      months than to see it in just a couple of hours, as Hannibal Lecter
      had done.
      How did he do it?
      - Do you realize, Jean? doctor Lecter asked again and pulled her
      back to reality.
      She nodded and looked at him across the table. Yes, surely she
      realized *that*, but she still didn't realize how he could have seen
      it so quickly.
      - You have to do a biocatalysis, said the doctor. So only the L-
      form remains.
      - Will you help me make the drug? Jean asked spontaneously.
      Slowly Hannibal leaned back in his chair. The look in his maroon
      eyes gleamed. Then, after being serious for so long, he suddenly gave
      a short and ironic laughter.
      - You're kidding, right?
      - No, doctor Lecter.
      - Listen to me, miss Grey. I cannot help you anymore, even if I
      would want to. I have to leave tomorrow night. Professor Xavier only
      gave me three days. I am sorry. But you know what to do, right? You
      don't need me anymore.
      - You'd be of great assistance, Jean persisted. I'm doing this for
      Rogue. She is only nineteen! You can help her get a chance of a
      somewhat normal life. Don't you want that, Hannibal? Didn't you say
      you wanted to help her?
      - Sure I would like to help her, but I won't be staying for very
      long.
      - I'll speak to Charles, Jean suddenly said. I'm sure he'll give
      you a reprieve, if only you promise to help me. Please doctor
      Lecter... Hannibal... It will be so much easier with your help. And
      we can pay you. I am sure Charles...
      Hannibal silenced her by holding up his right hand, which he used
      to draw the excellent sketch of the molecule's mirror image.
      - No, I do not need money. I have plenty of money.
      - Please, then. What do you want?
      - Nothing. You cannot give me what I want. But... well, I promise
      to try helping you with this, but it means I have to stay here
      longer.
      Jean rose at once. She looked serious, excited and resolute at
      once. - I'll talk to Charles, she said.
      - Yes, you talk to Charles.
      Lecter got up too. When he and Jean were facing each other he could
      see that she was more than half a head taller than he was. He judged
      her to be close to six feet.
      She is a beautiful woman, and strong, but if I were her, I would
      not walk around in high heels, he thought.
      Jean took off her lab-coat and left it in the med-lab. Then she
      followed doctor Lecter up to ground level.
      It would be nice to see the sky again, after almost a whole day
      underground.