Fic: "Darker Destiny: Take Care Of Me" PG-13/R (1/1)

  • Nadja Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2003
      Darker Destiny: Take Care Of Me
      By Nadja Lee 14/05/02

      Timeline: Set in the movie universe/an AU. Before the movie

      Universe: Set in the movie universe; NOT the book which goes with it.

      Romance: None

      Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.

      Rating: R

      Warning: May contain disturbing elements. This is a VERY dark tale! You have been warned.

      Sequel/series: Part of the “Darker Destiny” series but you doesn’t need to read the earlier parts to follow this. You can read the entire series here:

      http:// www.dreamwater.org/scottsummers/fanfiction/DarkerDestiny.html

      Thanks to Estelle for Beta.

      Have you ever wondered what it is like to suddenly have responsibilities way past your age and abilities?

      He needs me. I have to help him. It’s not his fault; he’s just ill. He needs his medication…..his drinks to get by. He needs me to help him get money.

      I vaguely remember we lived in a house once. I remember a woman’s face but I can’t recall who she is. Maybe she was my mom? Dad won’t say much of her.

      We don’t live in a house anymore; we live in a trailer. I try to keep it nice, dad likes it nice, but it’s hard. I put the empty bottles outside and I try to make it nice but I’m not sure I’m doing it right. I wish someone would tell me how.

      If we are to eat we need money. Dad often takes me to town and tells me to beg money from the passing people. He says they give more when I’m alone. Sometimes I’ve been bad and there isn’t enough money for both food and dad’s medicine so he buys medicine and asks me to understand. I do. He has told me about all the terrible things that happen when you’re alone. I don’t want to lose my daddy; I love my daddy but he needs me to take care of him. He’s sick, y’know?

      Sometimes when dad’s feeling better he tries to make me read from a book but I’m no good at that and he quickly looses interest and just wants his medicine. He’s happy when he has gotten his medication; it makes him smile.

      Dad doesn’t like other people and don’t want me to talk more with them than I have to. He says it’s dangerous. So, I don’t really talk with anyone save my dad……..and my doll, Lucy. Lucy is always with me so I’m never alone or lost. She helps me do things like when I should wash our clothes for the first time. I wasn’t sure how to do that but then Lucy got this idea from something we had seen on TV; we should rub at it in the sink, put soap on it and then put it out to dry. And it worked…..better after the first few times where I forgot to wash the soap out.

      Sometimes when I’m really hungry and dad says he needs his medication real bad I borrow wallets from people who stop and look at shop windows. Dad says they don’t mind and that he gives them their wallets back. It normally works out but there was this once where a strong man grabbed my wrist and yelled at me. I began to cry and just when I was beginning to panic this young man came and saved me. He had strange glowing red eyes and it looked like he lived like me because his clothes were also filthy and torn like mine.

      In my dreams I wear beautiful dresses like a princess but not so in real life. I don’t know who he was but he was nice and got me safely away. He asked me to be a member of his gang……something about Thieves but I said no. I had to take care of my father. He said I should look after myself and then he was gone and I never saw him since. I wonder if he was a prince on a white horse. I have this small book a home where a prince saves a princess…….Most of the words I can’t make out but I like looking at the pictures.

      My dad calls for me. He needs more medication. I have to go. Come, Lucy. We have to take care of dad.

      We have to take care of dad.

      ~Sarah (dark AU movie version of Sarah/Marrow from the comics. Here written like she’s a very young girl)