Fic: "Darker Destiny: Who Cares Anyway?" PG-13/R (1/1)

  • Nadja Lee
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2003
      Darker Destiny: Who Cares Anyway?

      By Nadja Lee 14/05/02

      Timeline: Set in the movie universe/an AU. Before the movie

      Universe: Set in the movie universe; NOT the book which goes with it.

      Romance: None

      Archiving: Want, ASK, take, have.

      Rating: R

      Warning: May contain disturbing elements. This is a VERY dark tale! You have been warned.

      Sequel/series: Part of the “Darker Destiny” series but you doesn’t need to read the earlier parts to follow this. You can read the entire series here:

      http:// www.dreamwater.org/scottsummers/fanfiction/DarkerDestiny.html

      Thanks to Estelle for Beta.

      Have you ever wondered what it is like when everything is slowly fading out and you’re losing focus?

      They don’t understand. No one understands me. I stand here in the middle of a crowded room, everyone are smiling, a beer in my hand, a beautiful woman beside me……and I feel so lost. The music is so loud I can barely think.

      I’m the only one the others look up to. I get all the girls, I’m the centre of attention………And I’m slipping away. I don’t know what or even who I am anymore. All these parties and nameless beauties are fading. I drink to forget and to remember. I don’t know where I’m going anymore.

      Nothing seems real; no emotions are real. I love no one and no one loves me. It seems as if I’m walking on an empty road with no chance of deviating from it.

      I know I’m getting caught in my own role and my own image. I thought it was this I wanted; it seemed so simple. The truth is I don’t want their respect because they fear my organisation, my people or me. I want their respect because they admire my work and me.

      I feel no remorse over stealing; it’s what I had to do from an early age to survive. The streets either harden you or kill you. I wanted ahead, I wanted to become someone and I did……the leader of the Thieves Guild. I’m now the leader of one of the biggest crime organisations in America. I thought that would make me happy but it doesn’t.

      Everything is false; from their loyalty to their smiles. They’re all just waiting to stick a knife into my back and take what I have from me. They don’t dare to do it right now but if I should loosen my hold…. they will.

      I didn’t think I would care about the way I got so far; I didn’t think I would think about all the people I’ve hurt on my way. At daytime their voices are quiet; drowned out by the smell of money and fear but at night time when everything is still, the only sound the breathing of the guard outside my room, my fingers find the gun on my night stand……and I hear them. They laugh at me, mock me, plea with me…they’re driving me insane.

      Worst of all is my father. I see him every night. He threatens me, frightens me and accuses me of his death. When he was alive our relationship was built on fear; my fear for him and my total dependence on him. But I changed all that. I made him feel what I had felt; how it was to be the little one……and then I killed him.

      Life never turns out the way you think it will but I never had any dreams or thoughts about my future so where does that leave me? I just wanted to live, to be someone………now I doubt I’ll reach 30.

      At night, in the darkness I pray to a God whose name I thought I had forgotten…….even I don’t know what I ask for but it’s something……….just something I feel is missing.

      ~Remy